How should I ask for LOR? Need help/adivce!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hojjung33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm currently a senior at purdue univeristy, and am planning to apply for DO school this coming June. As I am getting ready for my application, I am wondering if there's a good way to ask LOR from professors.

I emailed two of my professors yesterday asking if they could possibily a LOR for me, but haven't got any responses yet. (which is making me nervous). Since I am not getting responses yet, I am thinking of asking other professors as well.(But these professors are from classes that I took maybe 2 - 3 semesters ago, and probably don't remember me)

So I was wondering how I should ask the professors..:( Should I first email them that I want to set up an appointment with them?

If anyone has advice or even sample letter for requesting strong LOR, I would appreciate it tons

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, I would ask them in person. Then when you ask offer to provide a CV/resume and maybe even a copy of your personal statement so they can write a little better letter. Also, I always asked "would you feel comfortable writing me a SUPPORTIVE LOR?" because there is a douche prof at my school that would agree to write a letter but if he didn't like you he'd write an awful letter. Easy as that!

Also, if you can, ONLY ask profs that you know will write you a pretty baller letter.

Hi everyone.

I'm currently a senior at purdue univeristy, and am planning to apply for DO school this coming June. As I am getting ready for my application, I am wondering if there's a good way to ask LOR from professors.

I emailed two of my professors yesterday asking if they could possibily a LOR for me, but haven't got any responses yet. (which is making me nervous). Since I am not getting responses yet, I am thinking of asking other professors as well.(But these professors are from classes that I took maybe 2 - 3 semesters ago, and probably don't remember me)

So I was wondering how I should ask the professors..:( Should I first email them that I want to set up an appointment with them?

If anyone has advice or even sample letter for requesting strong LOR, I would appreciate it tons

Thanks!

Ask in person.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice! Then should i just email to prof saying that i want to meet with him regarding possible LOR?

I just looked at their office hours and showed up in their office. One of them I had to call him because he was on vacation when I needed to get it (my bad procrastinating that one) but he had me email him my CV and he wrote it the day he got back from Vacation.

Thanks for your advice! Then should i just email to prof saying that i want to meet with him regarding possible LOR?

Just show up to office hours.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile