How should I be preparing my application right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JP2740

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take my mcat June 17. I haven't begun my application yet. I'm planning on sending it in like mid-July, but in that time should I also be working on secondaries? My friend told me I could find out what they ask before they send me the questions. Can you guys give me advice on how to go about this as I'm pretty clueless about the application process right now

Members don't see this ad.

See my comments in your similiar post in WAMC. Once you've taken your MCAT and are waiting for the score, you can begin writing your Secondary essays from prompts you'll find on SDN School Specific subforum. When you get the formal invitation to submit a Seondary, your turn-around time will be a few days, minimizing the negative statistical consequences of a later application.

Right now, you should really be spending most of your time preparing for your MCAT. You should start an application on AMCAS though and get your transcripts sent in and your recs sent in when they are ready, just cuz that stuff can sometimes take longer than you think. Once you take your test you can go ahead and do the AMCAS (probably wait for your scores to submit) and also go ahead and write the secondaries for the schools you are applying to. That way when your scores come in, you can submit your AMCAS right away. You will probably still have a few weeks before you get a lot of secondaries because it will take a few weeks for your AMCAS to be verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend you... uh... fill out the application. You can submit it without having MCAT scores.

Then, as Catalystik mentioned, fill out secondaries (you can get the prompts from the school-specific threads). Since you'll already be at a disadvantage with timing, the best thing you can do is make sure you get everything in ASAP. You also need to make sure to have enough time look over your app several times to make changes and catch errors.

Your main priority should be the MCAT, but I doubt you'll be spending every hour of every day preparing.

Can you be verified without an MCAT score? Is there really a point in finishing AMCAS and getting verified if the MCAT score takes a month to be received anyways? I feel like wasting time on AMCAS while you are studying for the MCAT is kinda pointless.

Since you'll already be at a disadvantage with timing, the best thing you can do is make sure you get everything in ASAP.

Is July really that late to be applying?

I am going to be doing the same thing as the OP, and I thought a July application was at least earlier than average. Am I wrong?

If you apply in July when the MCAT score returns, it takes a month or so to get verified (getting you into August). Then you get Secondaries starting within a day, but some take three weeks to arrive. It can take a month or more to get those done if you're not on top of it and you have a lot of them. So now it's September/October. This is late for you to be "complete," with all needed application items submitted and received by schools. Many interview spots are already gone.

It is better to have verification complete before the MCAT score comes back (even if only for one school, as more schools can be added once you know how competitive you are, and it will only take a day for new schools to get the entire application). With the strategy outlined, you can be "complete" within three weeks and get the best odds of being offered an interview.

Question:

So I'm retaking the MCAT on July 30th. I actually have an MCAT score already (27) with a pretty high GPA (3.9+). You're suggesting I submit in early June (ASAP) because for most schools in Florida, 27 and 3.9+ will allow me to receive a secondary, correct? Now my question is, should I send in the secondaries ASAP even before I get my new MCAT score back (which would be late AUG)? Tell me if my reasoning is messed up. Thanks for any input!

Question:

So I'm retaking the MCAT on July 30th. I actually have an MCAT score already (27) with a pretty high GPA (3.9+). You're suggesting I submit in early June (ASAP) because for most schools in Florida, 27 and 3.9+ will allow me to receive a secondary, correct? Now my question is, should I send in the secondaries ASAP even before I get my new MCAT score back (which would be late AUG)? Tell me if my reasoning is messed up. Thanks for any input!
Sure. You can send in anything you want, but most schools won't look at you if you have a MCAT pending. So even if you have everything in by June 30th, it's only when they receive the MCAT will they start looking at you.

Sure. You can send in anything you want, but most schools won't look at you if you have a MCAT pending. So even if you have everything in by June 30th, it's only when they receive the MCAT will they start looking at you.

Yeah, I figured as much. But this would be far more efficient than waiting for my MCAT and submitting, right? Also, since I get my MCAT back late Aug/early Sept, and my secondaries will have already been submitted, is this considered early/on time/ or late?

If you apply in July when the MCAT score returns, it takes a month or so to get verified (getting you into August). Then you get Secondaries starting within a day, but some take three weeks to arrive. It can take a month or more to get those done if you're not on top of it and you have a lot of them. So now it's September/October. This is late for you to be "complete," with all needed application items submitted and received by schools. Many interview spots are already gone.

It is better to have verification complete before the MCAT score comes back (even if only for one school, as more schools can be added once you know how competitive you are, and it will only take a day for new schools to get the entire application). With the strategy outlined, you can be "complete" within three weeks and get the best odds of being offered an interview.

How does this whole verification process work? And do the letters of recs need to be included?

I have a semi-related question. I already have my MCAT score and AMCAS received my transcript today, so I should be in line to submit my primary in early June. I have to wait until late August for my LOR though, because my university doesn't offer committee interviews over the summer unless applying for early admission. My MCAT score was required for interview, and I got scores back just after the semester ended, perhaps I should have taken the test slightly earlier.

I've read that med schools like to see you send their secondary back within a week of receiving it because it shows enthusiasm about their school. Would I be able to complete secondary essays and send them back without having my LOR on file yet? If my LOR is received in late August / early September, is that considered late in the game to have everything completed and be considered for interviews?

Thanks,
-EBM

Yeah, I figured as much. But this would be far more efficient than waiting for my MCAT and submitting, right? Also, since I get my MCAT back late Aug/early Sept, and my secondaries will have already been submitted, is this considered early/on time/ or late?

I have the same question. I know it won't be early, but I'm hoping it would "ok". That is, if you're complete during the first week of September, it would be ok in the timeline of applying?

How does this whole verification process work? And do the letters of recs need to be included?
The AMCAS verification process is opaque. Only they know how it works. You submit, you are put in a line, and they get to you when it's your turn. That happens sooner, the earlier you apply.

LORs do not have to be included initially. Of course, you won't be complete at schools until you send them along.

I've read that med schools like to see you send their secondary back within a week of receiving it because it shows enthusiasm about their school. Would I be able to complete secondary essays and send them back without having my LOR on file yet? If my LOR is received in late August / early September, is that considered late in the game to have everything completed and be considered for interviews?
I have the same question. I know it won't be early, but I'm hoping it would "ok". That is, if you're complete during the first week of September, it would be ok in the timeline of applying?
Some schools give you a 2 week deadline and some give you months for returning the Secondary. It's fine to submit the Secondary after being formally invited to do so, regardless of whether the LOR is received yet.

There is no "official" definition of what constitutes an early or late application. I've seen various definitions on SDN. Is knowing you are on the late side going to change anything or just make you worry more?

I'd go by :
June to mid July=Early
Mid July to End of August=Average
(I'll add this one just for you)First week of September=getting toward late.
September to Mid October=Late
>Oct 15=Very late.

What does being late mean? It means that you are statistically less likely to get an interview at a given school because less interview slots remain. If you're an average applicant, this is perhaps 2% less in early September, 5% less by mid September, 20% by the end of September, 60% by midOctober, 95% by early November. The steepness of the curve varies depending on the school and how competitive you are for it. Yes, I'm just pulling these numbers out of my hat based on personal experience/impressions, not because of published data, the intent being illustrative purposes.

Some schools give you a 2 week deadline and some give you months for returning the Secondary. It's fine to submit the Secondary after being formally invited to do so, regardless of whether the LOR is received yet.

There is no "official" definition of what constitutes an early or late application. I've seen various definitions on SDN. Is knowing you are on the late side going to change anything or just make you worry more?

I'd go by :
June to mid July=Early
Mid July to End of August=Average
(I'll add this one just for you)First week of September=getting toward late.
September to Mid October=Late
>Oct 15=Very late.

What does being late mean? It means that you are statistically less likely to get an interview at a given school because less interview slots remain. If you're an average applicant, this is perhaps 2% less in early September, 5% less by mid September, 20% by the end of September, 60% by midOctober, 95% by early November. The steepness of the curve varies depending on the school and how competitive you are for it. Yes, I'm just pulling these numbers out of my hat based on personal experience/impressions, not because of published data, the intent being illustrative purposes.

Thanks Cat - whenever I post a question, I secretly (not so much now) hope you'll reply! I'm taking the June 17 MCAT, but I really pathetically suck at PS and am average in VS. So I wanted to get a picture of what I'm up against if I take the Aug 5th MCAT. :(