How should I improve my extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamsquid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is what I have so far (assume that my numbers wont be an issue):

-Volunteered abroad for a few weeks (40hr/week)
-Volunteered at a hospital (300+ hrs) -> a lot of the hours were from high school. does that matter?
-Neurobiology research for one summer (+ received a research grant)
-Research at a neurology department at a hospital for one summer (+ poster presentation, got a summer research studentship grant) - i had the chance to observe a neurologist for a bit, as well as observing mri procedures for a bit
-Varsity athlete for 2 years, received 1 award for having high academics
-Very light research volunteering at a biology lab for 1 year (3 hrs/week)

Unfortunately, not doing a research thesis in my final year.

What should I do more in terms of ECs?

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I have so far (assume that my numbers wont be an issue):

-Volunteered abroad for a few weeks (40hr/week)
-Volunteered at a hospital (300+ hrs) -> a lot of the hours were from high school. does that matter?
-Neurobiology research for one summer (+ received a research grant)
-Research at a neurology department at a hospital for one summer (+ poster presentation, got a summer research studentship grant) - i had the chance to observe a neurologist for a bit, as well as observing mri procedures for a bit
-Varsity athlete for 2 years, received 1 award for having high academics
-Very light research volunteering at a biology lab for 1 year (3 hrs/week)

Unfortunately, not doing a research thesis in my final year.

What should I do more in terms of ECs?
Diversify your shadowing and include a primary care doc. Add some regular, hands-on, nonmedical community service for a cause you care about. Look for leadership and/or teaching opportunites.

How many of the hospital volunteer hours occurred during college and how recent are they?

Diversify your shadowing and include a primary care doc. Add some regular, hands-on, nonmedical community service for a cause you care about. Look for leadership and/or teaching opportunites.

How many of the hospital volunteer hours occurred during college and how recent are they?

Only around 50 or so hours. What do you mean by "primary care doc"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you planning to apply to a research-oriented school or a clinically-oriented school? When do you plan to apply?

If you only have the opportunity to volunteer for a few more EC gigs because you are applying soon, choose and EC that aligns with the program to which you are applying.

You can add that too, but preferably (mostly) when the patient is awake.

Is the main goal of shadowing patient interaction, or is it to observe/learn what the medical profession entails?

I'm sure that opinion varies on reasons for shadowing expectations. Personally, I think that the physician-patient interaction is very important part: you see the physician take a history, do a physical, discuss a differential diagnosis, take on an educational or advocate role, or even that of a cheerleader. You also observe examples of profession conduct. If one is lucky, one will also witness staff and insurance company interaction, the role of good record keeping, and ideally have conversations with the physician about malpractice issues and medical ethics. The opportunity to witness surgery or the birth of a baby, attend professional meetings, or follow a team on hospital rounds add to the understanding of potential physician roles. Some or all of these experiences can help you decide if medicine is right for you.

But what related topics are you most likely to be asked about during interviews so that adcomms can judge whether you have an adequate understanding of what medicine entails?: your view of empathy, good and bad physician role models you've seen, importance of advocacy, ethics, how good medical care requires teamwork, and your appreciation of malpractice and insurance issues.