How should I prepare myself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I am going to medical school this coming August. I'm just wondering within this two months, how should I prepare myself for medical school. I have been out of school for 2 years. Currently, I am working full time as a research associate.

I am brand new to this forum. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

SL :)

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN!

From the posts here, I have gathered that we are supposed to relax and enjoy our summer so we can be ready to start in August!

My school is offering a "pre-matriculation" program that reviews basic sciences for 10 days before class. You might check & see if your school is doing the same.

Good Luck!

Several things to do:

1) get your financial life in order- pay off the bills you can, check your credit report, etc.
2) Organize your books! Do you still need that high school chemistry book? You do need some great summer reading material!
3) organize your household goods- do you have enough sheets and towels? Can you get rid of some of your furniture? etc.
4) Go to the movies.

Enjoy your summer!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) get your financial life in order- pay off the bills you can, check your credit report, etc.

Thanks for your advice.

So, what would happen if I have bad credits? I had some outstanding bills over 270 days. I moved and I did not receive the bills. For some reason, the collection ageny could locate me and I paid off all the balances. This was 2 years ago.

Is this going to affect my eligibility of getting Perkins and Stanford loans. I figured out I need to borrow about $25,000 per year.

Any advice would certainly helps!

Thanks again.

SL

Hey SL,
I had a similar problem (actually exactly the same problem). You should check your credit reports, in all liklihood you are fine. I am also borrowing about that much, and had absolutely no problem getting loans.
What to do (other than financial stuff)...
Relax! Spend time with family, friends, your spiritual self, etc...
I really don't recommend studying at all--however if you really feel like you need to
'touch up' for the fall, the BRS Gross Anatomy book by Chung has some good stuff in it. (Pleeeeeeeease don't study, though--I was also out for some time, and the study habits came back really quick!). Congratulations and good luck!

Relax and have fun. Studying now will not make a significant difference in how you function during your first semester. If you are determined, I suggest getting some of the Ridiculously Simple books to ease yourself in.

In general, with the exception of a default, bad credit will not prevent you from getting government loans. It may however, affect your ability to qualify for alternative loans (ie, monies for expenses above and beyond that available through the government loans).

remember to forward your mail through the post office when you move....do not assume that the next person who lives there will do it for you. in fact, for a small fee, the PO will continue to forward your mail for a year after you move...that way, even things like your car registration/DL, etc. can find you in another location

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox:
[QB]Relax and have fun. Studying now will not make a significant difference in how you function during your first semester. If you are determined, I suggest getting some of the Ridiculously Simple books to ease yourself in.

Hi Kimberli Cox:

Thanks for your advice. Recently, I bought 2 review books: Clinical Microbio made Ridiculously Simple and Lippincott's BioChem Reivew. They are very interesting and easy to read. However, I have a question: compare to those textbooks loaded with so much more info, are these review books good enough for preparing Step 1? I understand these review books should be used for refreshing the materials only. But, are we able to finish reading all the textbooks within the first year? Even so, are we able to memorize all the materials? I looked at Netto's anatomy alas at B&N the other day, I doubt if I am able to memorize all the info. FYI: I am a biochem major, do not have any anatomy background.

I have another unrelated question: do we really need a PDA for the first year? If so, maybe I should start shopping around. Any model or price range that you suggest?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

SL