How should I retain info before the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlewx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just decided on pursuing med school and I'm about to begin my prereqs. Might be starting Bio I and Physics I this summer. What should I do to remember all of the content I learn over time before I take my MCAT? Do the MCAT books basically help you re-learn if you forget? I'm bad at remembering and being able to apply what I learned after I've already been tested on it.

Members don't see this ad.

If you print out the mcat outline of concepts you should know, it comes out to be a thick book. I dont think you can know EVERYTHING. You can review your class stuff a lot and build a strong foundation but youll end up reviewing majority of them anyways. But foundation definitely helps. Also, even as you study for MCAT there is so much material that you forget. The point is MCAT is not about knowing everything but having a certain lvl of knowledge + critical thinking + key questions mastered. It is best to study by doing lots of practice problems.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I did as much of my pre-req learning as possible via spaced repetition (check out supermemo and anki). This method makes sure you don't just forget everything after the test, and will make MCAT content review painless.