How Should I Schedule My Practice Tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Double Bonded

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the DAT at the beginning of June and I'm going to finish all of my Kaplan Exams by the end of this month. I'm going to order Crack the DAT, Topscore, and Achiever exams next week (not sure which packages but most likely the "middle" ones for topscore and achiever). After looking at the options, it looks like I'm going to be spending a lot of money on the exams so I don't want to be in a situation where I have too many exams and don't use some.

I'm wondering if taking around 3 full-length exams every week during the month of May is a good strategy. I've taken 3 Kaplan exams so far and I've seen my scores improve slightly throughout each attempt.

Is it advisable to take all of my practice exams in one month or do people who see the most improvement usually spread it out over 2-3 months?

Members don't see this ad.

I spread mine out a little more than just a month.... I did it all over 2 months. Is 1 month enough time? In my opinion, Yes.

This is what I would do...

1. Achiever Practice test #1 when you first get them... It is going to be brutal (at least it was for me). When you find out your scores look at your weakest areas...Spend the rest of the day finding out why you missed questions. You should be able to say why each answer choice is either right or wrong.

Continue your study plan as scheduled but focus on your weak areas.

6-7 days later

2. Top Score test #1...You should see a big increase from achiever scores. Againg, find out your scores look at your weakest areas...Spend the rest of the day finding out why you missed questions. You should be able to say why each answer choice is either right or wrong.

6-7 days later

3. Achiever test #2...Your score will probably be lower than Top Score test #1...If not, then good job! Repeat finding weakness...etc..

6-7 days later

4. Top Score test #2

3-4 days before your test --

5. Achiever Test #3-- dont worry if you don't get the score you want on this one.. it is just practice ;) Figure out everything that you did wrong on the test and leave it at that...

1 day later

6. Top Score #3 -- This was a fairly accurate gauge for my real exam but most people get a few points higher! Your score should reflect a score that you would want on the real DAT...

Review for the last 2 days before your test....

I would just work crack DAT PAT into your normal study schedule... I think there is 10 right? So do one every 2-4 days...:thumbup: Don't stop doing them before your test bc you will want to be sharp and ontop of your game for the DAT.

That is what I would do:D