How should I study for my first Organic Chemistry test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The test is next week (5 days from now). The test will cover:

Structural Representations/Bonding (resonance - arrow pushing, etc)
Acid-Base Chemistry
Alkane Structure and Conformation
Stereochemistry

We are to memorize a few pKas and functional groups.

How did you study this particular material in order to get an A on your exam?

I recognize that simply reading the material and doing some practice problems is oftentimes not enough. My professor seems to be a generous grader, but I don't want to take any chances...What did you do specifically?

Members don't see this ad.

All those topics are covered in Klein's excellent and concise Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. I would get it ASAP and work through those chapters, in addition to focusing on any key areas your professor highlighted for you.

All those topics are covered in Klein's excellent and concise Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. I would get it ASAP and work through those chapters, in addition to focusing on any key areas your professor highlighted for you.

I do actually have that book. So you think that will be the key to getting an A?

Members don't see this ad :)
You said you only have 5 days to study and the Klein book is by far the best place I know of to get a crash course in the topics you listed.

With that said, I don't know anything about your class or what your professor chooses to focus on. You mentioned memorizing pKas and functional groups. That will NOT be in the Klein book based on what I remember. That's why I said you also need to take note of those areas on which your professor has asked you to focus or in which he has shown interest.

Bro, I got you.

1. probably don't bother opening your textbook, each chapter is like 100 pages and aint nobody got time for that.
2. use the Ochem as a second language book. do the practices till they make sense and you could do ANY problem.
3 the moment you dont get something in the klein book, or its missing, go to leah4sci.com and watch her videos. Maybe watch her videos anyway. They almost mirrored my lectures, but were higher yield.
4. to really understand ochem, you should drink it. I suggest starting with etoh varients

I got a 95, then with the curve got a 110. Didn't stress, had fun on the weekends, and drank margaritas . I suggest you do the same.

Reactions: 3 users
Dont stress out. Get those Klein books and watch some youtube videos.

Seriously, you will be watching more youtube videos when you're in medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were to just read the "O Chem as a 2nd language" book, might I miss important information from the textbook? Or does that little book cover everything I need to know for success?

It would save me a lot of time. I'm just afraid I'll miss important little details and explanations from the text.

Practice practice practice practice practice every single day until you can't practice anymore, then you will get an A.

I got an A in ochem 1 and just got a 96 on my first ochem 2 exam. I read the chapters, do all of the problems, and review notes as we go. Starting about a week before an exam I comb through my notes very carefully and add little notes and highlight what I think is important, then I re-do a ton of book problems and go through all of the weekly mechanisms and synthesis problems that my professor has written until I can do them without thinking. Repetition has really been the key thing for me.

Any suggestions for practice quizzes online?

I checked out Leah Fisch's site (as someone recommended elsewhere), but it seems she's taken down her quizzes. The Klein book doesn't have answers in the back of the book which is a hindrance - I don't know if I'm thinking along the right lines.

I realize I'm chiming in a little late with this, but...

If you have any issues with grasping stereochemistry, get a hold of a model kit. You can get a cheap one on ebay/amazon (~10$) or your professor/tutoring center center will likely have one you can play with. They are the easiest way to help people make the jump from 2D drawings to 3D understanding.

For example, when figuring out R/S, build the chiral center with different colored balls for the different groups, hold it in your hand with the H in the direction of your thumb and see if the other 3 groups go 1,2,3 in the direction that your fingers curl. If it matches your Right hand, it's R. If it matches your left, it's S (S is from "sinistra" which is latin for left). The get your brain in the habit of seeing the correlation between the 2D drawing and that 3D model, number your groups, point your thumbs to the #4 group/H and you have an easy way to always get those questions right.

Curious. What makes the Klein book and OChem as a 2nd Language so special? I noticed they've been mentioned here many times. If they're that great, why don't schools just use them?

Any suggestions for practice quizzes online?

I checked out Leah Fisch's site (as someone recommended elsewhere), but it seems she's taken down her quizzes. The Klein book doesn't have answers in the back of the book which is a hindrance - I don't know if I'm thinking along the right lines.
The klein book absolutely has answers in the back