How shud i go about doin pg in usa?

Discussion in 'Kaplan Medical USMLE Forum' started by pepink, Apr 7, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. pepink

pepink

Medical Student
    I am a medical student in my second year of med school in india.I want to pursue my postgraduate in USA, I have absolutely no idea how to go about this dream, except that i have to write and pass USMLE.Anyone who has been through the same please help me in these spheres:
    1)What should i study for USMLE PART 1?
    2)Should i write part 1 before 3rd year?
    3)What books should i read for part 1?
    4)Can i get a PG in research in the USA?
    5)How will i know where to apply to write the exam?
    If anyoone out there has been through goin to USA for PG after having done their MBBS IN INDIA, Please help me, Your help will be tremendously appreciated.
    From sumone who desperately needs guidance.
  2. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    SDN Sponsor SDN Exhibitor SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hello pepink!

Assuming your ultimate goal is to practice medicine in the US, the process is relatively simple, especially if you plan ahead and make a reasonable schedule for yourself. First, check out the ecfmg.org website. ECFMG will be your 'designated dean'.

http://ecfmg.org/

You should also check out the USMLE website:

http://usmle.org/

If you would like to explore the idea of using Kaplan resources, visit The Chopras website. They will help guide you through the process, including visas. You will find a supportive community there, and meet many students who are going through the same process.

http://www.thechopras.com/kaplan_contact.php

We can send you free study tips and other info/guidance anytime. Please send a PM or write to [email protected].

Your questions:

1)What should i study for USMLE PART 1? See the USMLE website for the content descriptions
    2)Should i write part 1 before 3rd year? Not required. Take the exam when you are ready.
    3)What books should i read for part 1? It depends on your scope of knowledge
    4)Can i get a PG in research in the USA? Yes
    5)How will i know where to apply to write the exam? See the ECFMG website
  3. drravi09

drravi09

Dentist
    email me if u need further guidance:hungover:[email protected]
  4. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hello drravi09,

You are kind to share your experience with fellow students! If you have any info that may be helpful to others, you can post here, too.

Thanks!
  5. Tmim TNT

Tmim TNT

Medical Student
    {post}
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2011
  6. Tmim TNT

Tmim TNT

Medical Student
    Please help me, any body out there ,I am so much confused about this exam ,don't have any idea how to move on.please tell me what ll the best for me ,I am in 3rd year now and I want to pass this exam as soon as possible .after finishing here I don't really have much time left to sit and study .
  7. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hello Tmim TNT!

We can help you develop a study plan. You definitely want to include content (books), question review an simulated exams, at the very least. If you need more comprehensive prep, online videos are an excellent, flexible resource. Kaplan's online courses feature simulated exams and more.

You want to start with a diagnostic exam to assess your strengths and weaknesses. Kaplan offers a diag for free: http://bit.ly/q36ZvV

Plan to give your weaker subjects more % of your review time, though be sure to cover well Path, Micro/Immuno & Pharm as they're hit heavily on the exam. As you move through the review material, create your own condensed summaries of the key material so that you can review these personal notes in the final days before your test day (or use the Notes margins for this purpose).

Some study tips: Look over Qs before you start to review which will help you use the info for the test. Do timed tests, including all subjects you have studied so far. Remediate errors, looking for patterns. Work with a study partner. Focus on key concepts. When self-testing scores are high enough, take an NBME self-assessment!

For more detailed study tips, please write to [email protected].
  8. g12321

g12321

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Hi, I graduated last year and am doing my masters in Pediatrics, I want to pursue with a residency in Pediatrics in the US after that. It will be 3 years after I graduated from med school... I want to have the masters degree done first since it will allow me the chance to have loads of clinical experience in Pediatrics. I am planning to get my Step 1 and Steps 2 done before I finish my masters degree. I will be publishing a few papers too in those 3 years. I am still unsure if I will get the chance to do electives or at least observership though, something I was told was really important. Any advice about that?
  9. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hi g12321,

Having the clinical experience and masters will be valuable, though it's unclear where you are studying. Program directors want to see that applicants have some sense of how medicine is practiced here in the US, either through more formal experiences such as clinical rotations, or through clinical externships, observerships, or medically related work experiences. If you are studying abroad, perhaps you can gain some US experience after you finish school. At the very least, have the situation confirmed when you apply for residency, which you can include on your application. Good luck!
  10. g12321

g12321

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks a lot for your reply, I am currently in Shanghai and I am working in the best Pediatric centre of the country. I graduated from med school last year and will finish my masters in 2014. I read that most programs prefer candidates who graduated within 5 years. I will do my best to apply for some externships to fit all the criteria expected by program directors.
    My last question is whether I should get LOR from US doctors only or can I get some from Shanghai too?
  11. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    We're happy to help!

You are smart to gain externships. Experience in the US is more valuable because programs want assurance that you have some idea of how medicine is practiced here. So many programs now expect it,so both the experience and having a US written LOR are very, veryhelpful in increasing your chances to match.