How significant is a residency program name/ location in pursuing fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emtdan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in a lot of areas that have seem to be low ranked on the forums here- such as MUSC, U of Arizona, OHSU etc Many of the programs I am interested in do not have a peds fellowship. Does this at all matter when applying to fellowship? Should I pick the location and program that fits me best or a program that is higher ranked?

Members don't see this ad.

Go for the best fit. Every reasonably sized program has people who know PDs in fellowship programs. The bonus of going to a residency that doesn't have a fellowship program is that you'll get to take care of more kiddos that would normally be cared for by fellows. That is, if the particular institution has reasonable pediatric surgery and pediatric/NICU departments.

I still hold that the best training programs from a clinical exposure standpoint are not necessarily big name places but those that do not have a lot of fellows and yet are university-based referral centers. All of those you mentioned (not knowing much about them) would apply. If you go to Harvard, you will have world-class didactics but your subspecialty exposure will be relatively weak.

Small places are great. We only had one pedes fellow where I did my residency. I anesthetized over 30 children less than 3 months and over 500 less than 12.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also went to a place without a pediatric fellowship. I ended up wit h 6 months of pediatric OR as well as a NICU rotation during my intern year. Lots of pediatric hearts, brains, spines, neonates, and traumas. On those rotations we had very regular pediatric didactics, a rotating home reading assignment and required discussion with an attending the next day. While probably not as intense as an actual one, I like to think of it as half of a pediatric fellowship.

I'm interested in a lot of areas that have seem to be low ranked on the forums here- such as MUSC, U of Arizona, OHSU etc Many of the programs I am interested in do not have a peds fellowship. Does this at all matter when applying to fellowship? Should I pick the location and program that fits me best or a program that is higher ranked?
Are you 100% sure that you want a pediatric fellowship? Then the easiest way to get one is to be in a place which has one. ;)

To answer the question in the thread title: yes, it's significant. Saying that you are from a big name place can open doors. I am an IMG, so I know. I am sure you can get great training in some smaller programs, but you'll have to prove that to the fellowship PD, while with the big names it is a given. As fellowships become more competitive, my advice is to go to a big name place that you like, regardless of the location. That name will be on your CV for the rest of your life and will help you get the fellowship of your dreams.

Location should come first only if you have a working spouse who cannot follow you. Three years is a long time, and not worth the strain to the marriage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user