How socially conservative should I be in med school interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
like are they so socially conservative that I could get in trouble for telling them rap is my favorite kind of music? How socially conservative are we talking?

Members don't see this ad.

Just don't bring up that you're a swinger.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt your taste in music will come up in the interview. I would advise focusing more on your accomplishments, meaningful experiences, etc. Docs come from all walks of life and have different preferences. Though I would tend to err on the side of cautious of how a potentially conservative individual may perceive some things.

Reactions: 1 users
At least where I was raised, every middle/upper class white kid from the suburbs listened to rap.

I'm not sure how that helps you, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Reactions: 6 users
They will just think you have poor taste in music.

Jk

Reactions: 2 users
Stick to a mixture of all sorts of musical preference. Be sure you can name at least one artist from each music genre and a song by each artist.

Reactions: 1 user
I told them that I make hip-hop music in two of my 7 year program interviews...be yourself...

Jk

but if they reject me i could always tell them that I'm going going back back to cali cali. Who doesn't love them some Notorious B.I.G? :p
Stick to a mixture of all sorts of musical preference. Be sure you can name at least one artist from each music genre and a song by each artist.

lol i'll probably never know anything about country. i mean im a pretty open minded dawg, but that's pushing it.

have to tell them you're into foreign music to increase your diversity points!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just don't spontaneously recite lyrics from Ice Cube's early albums and you should be fine.

You should talk to them about your opposition to gay marriage and abortion. Instant acceptance

Reactions: 7 users
Wear a Romney 2012 pin on your suit.

Last edited:
This. Mostly *not* jk. :-d

All kidding aside, OP, you are not being "tested" on your personal likes or dislikes. Interviewers are mainly looking for a sense of what makes you tick as a person. I happen to find much of what passes for lyrics in rap "music" objectionable, and seeing upper middle class white kids embracing it as representing authentic black experience and values makes me roll my eyes. But while I might challenge you on your assertion that it's great, or even good, "music," it's certainly not something that you couldn't discuss in an interview.

They will reject you if you listen to nicki minaj, soulja boy, or chief keef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is so much LOL. You better start listening to some sonatas by Beethoven

Threads like this highlight the benefit to gaining real world experience.

Reactions: 5 users
Threads like this highlight the benefit to gaining real world experience.

Or just mrh highlights the benefit to gaining real world experience...

Reactions: 3 users
Wear clothes. Don't perform abortions or use illegal drugs mid-interview.

EDIT: Bring a gun to exercise your freedom.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Hey some of us actually listen to Dr Dre and Ice in the operating room! ;-)

Controlling the operating room music has to be one of the best trolling opportunities in medicine.

I vaguely remember a thread where a surgeon said that he would occasionally just have "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba play on repeat for the entire surgery.

Reactions: 4 users
Controlling the operating room music has to be one of the best trolling opportunities in medicine.

I vaguely remember a thread where a surgeon said that he would occasionally just have "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba play on repeat for the entire surgery.

I had been thinking of a surgical specialty. This sort of thing makes me really consider it.

I had been thinking of a surgical specialty. This sort of thing makes me really consider it.

This got me thinking of hilarious songs to play in the OR and now I have "It's raining men" stuck in my head. Great.

This got me thinking of hilarious songs to play in the OR and now I have "It's raining men" stuck in my head. Great.

It's Raining Men is on my gym playlist. It's my favorite bench press song.

Holding Out For a Hero, Total Eclipse of the Heart, Dancing Queen, anything by Miley Cyrus or Celine Dion......

On the other hand there is research showing that playing classical music improves patient recovery from minor surgeries if they are awake during procedure (Note I said nothing about performance of surgeons, as that would probably depend on their personal preferences).

I, for example, had my wisdom teeth removed with classical music playing in background. I don't think I would like rap as much

I actually had a 10min conversation about Sly Stone with a PhD during an interview this cycle. The cycle before an MD and I started talking about Bootsy Collins and James Jamerson during an interview.

Just to be clear. Rap hasn't been on the radio for about 15 years now. It's mostly hip-hop and R&B. When I hear someone talk about "rap" I just assume they are old and talking about music made by young black people...

I think you'll be in more trouble for the countless insipid posts on SDN. Just sayin'.

that'd be silly. ain't nothing wrong with asking questions.

that'd be silly. ain't nothing wrong with asking questions. that's like biting someone's head off for asking questions during the designated question time of an interview. it's just ridic.

You seem unable to take advice and hints.

You seem unable to take advice and hints.

if you actually think that you're unable to pay attention and read between the lines because i consider everything posted and have definitely taken a good portion of the advice given. you seem unable to stop holding silly grudges, bro

I rest my case. A lack of self-awareness is a painful thing for interviewers to have to deal with, and even more painful to you when your rejection letter arrives.

good thing i wont have to worry about that then :)

2qdpz4w.jpg

Wear clothes. Don't perform abortions or use illegal drugs mid-interview.

EDIT: Bring a gun to exercise your freedom.
If I perform an abortion while using illegal drugs will they cancel each other out?

I wonder if anyone has ever shown up to an med school interview high, or done something illegal during the interview.

They will reject you if you listen to nicki minaj, soulja boy, or chief keef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As they probably should. :laugh:

Everyone smokes weed at interviews, you didn't know? If you don't smoke weed at your interview then you have a slightly less chance of getting in.

If I perform an abortion while using illegal drugs will they cancel each other out?

I wonder if anyone has ever shown up to an med school interview high, or done something illegal during the interview.

I made a habit of asking my interviewers if they had ever met someone at an interview that gave terrible answers or was totally ridiculous. One newer school I interviewed at said that the first year they interviewed people there was a guy who showed up in jeans and a hawaiian shirt and called everyone "bro" and "dude". If that guy wasn't high, he should have been.