How soon to expect secondaries after AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vellaboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how long it usually takes between AMCAS sending your app to med schools and med schools sending you a secondary. Also, are the secondaries from med schools always sent via snail mail or sometimes by email?

Here's my dramatic tale if anyone is interested. AMCAS just let me know that they sent out my app to my designated schools. I'm leaving the country for the year in 2 1/2 weeks. My friend has agreed to receive and then fax me my secondaries. However, he'll be away from his home from late July to early August. If my AMCAS was just sent to schools in the past few days, am I likely to get secondaries before mid August (if I get any at all)?

Thanks. I'm new to this application game and somewhat clueless.

Members don't see this ad.

my application just went active earlier this week and i've already received 4 school's secondaries...i hear that some schools send you theirs without any screening at all so you will prob get some immediately...all 4 of them seem to involve little more than 30 minutes of work and little thought so its not too bad

I'm just applying this year also, so I don't have extensive experience with this question, but I do know that there are several schools that have online secondary applications that just send an email to invite you to fill out the secondary. Also, there are schools with unscreened secondaries that you can fill out any time after you submit the AMCAS.

You're going out of the country for a year??? How are you going to do interviews? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i don't really know what i was thinking when i decided to leave the country for a year and apply to med school. but then, mama never said i was the smart one.
i should be able to get back for interviews at certain points--i don't think i'll have too many to come back for.

thanks for the word. i already got one of the online secondary notices. it's nice to get a secondary even though i know they're not screening. small victories.

something tells me you're a tri-geek, elephunt. ?verdad?

vellaboy said:
yeah, i don't really know what i was thinking when i decided to leave the country for a year and apply to med school. but then, mama never said i was the smart one.
i should be able to get back for interviews at certain points--i don't think i'll have too many to come back for.

thanks for the word. i already got one of the online secondary notices. it's nice to get a secondary even though i know they're not screening. small victories.

something tells me you're a tri-geek, elephunt. ?verdad?

I received secondaries before my application was even processed so I don;t know-- It was a week for me.

Remix said:
the very next day by overnight delivery.

you're not for real, are you?