How soon to start studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StargazerLily

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
How soon should one start studying for the MCAT? I am in my freshman year of college, pre-med major. I have access to MCAT study guides. Would it be beneficial to go over different parts of the study guide once a week or so this early in my academic career?
Thanks in advance for your advice.:love:

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't worry about preparing for the mcat that early. However, you should definately UNDERSTAND all concepts in the pre req classes. This way, you only need to review them a couple (few) months prior to taking the mcat. Good luck:)

It is way too early for you to be worrying about the MCAT. What you want to do right now:

1. Don't go for just an A. Make sure you actually know your material down cold.

2. Work on building some ECs.

3. The third, and BY FAR the most important thing, is to enjoy your college years.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is way too early for you to be worrying about the MCAT. What you want to do right now:

1. Don't go for just an A. Make sure you actually know your material down cold.

2. Work on building some ECs.

3. The third, and BY FAR the most important thing, is to enjoy your college years.

:thumbup: Especially the understanding the info...

Hi Everyone!
How soon should one start studying for the MCAT? I am in my freshman year of college, pre-med major. I have access to MCAT study guides. Would it be beneficial to go over different parts of the study guide once a week or so this early in my academic career?
Thanks in advance for your advice.:love:

I don't think it would be such a horrible idea to start matching up MCAT material with your premed requirements. For instance, AMCAS provides a detailed list of specific subjects that appear in each portion of the MCAT. I don't see the harm in comparing what it lists with what you learned after each unit. Still, what's most important, as others have noted, is conceptually internalizing what you are learning day in and day out in those wonderful classes you'll get to take!