How strict are LOR Req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rolling_with_the_punches

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a bit of pickle going on as I currently have 3 science LORs but zero non-science LORs... So far, two of my schools require 2 science and 1 non-science. How could I work around this?
Most of my classes in undergrad were science and wasn't exactly thinking at the time that I would need a non-science LOR? I figured 3 LORs from professors would cover most of the schools but I guess not?

Members don't see this ad.

i was in your same exact situation. i emailed one of professors from an online non science course and explained to them my situation and they helped me out with a letter

Reactions: 1 user
Its not too late to go and ask a non science prof for a letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is any one of the 3 not a "hard science"? Or like stats or a math class?
You can also email schools admissions individually.
I was a kind of non traditional (pharmacy major) so I used 2 science and a medical school professor PharmD who I did a rotation with, and schools ok'd the exception. It never hurts to ask.
If you've done research, see if they will accept a PI letter in lieu possibly

Also, if your app is really outstanding, they are unlikely to care about the missing non science. They won't turn away a great applicant bc of a letter

So I have a bit of pickle going on as I currently have 3 science LORs but zero non-science LORs... So far, two of my schools require 2 science and 1 non-science. How could I work around this?
Most of my classes in undergrad were science and wasn't exactly thinking at the time that I would need a non-science LOR? I figured 3 LORs from professors would cover most of the schools but I guess not?
I'm in the same situation, I have 2 science faculty, one PhD chem lab coordinator (both teacher and employer) one science PI and one work supervisor (ED Scribing). I got 5 and that is what I got, and I take their LOR as recommendations. We'll see if I get kicked out for not complying with the precise definitions. It is a bit harder when you go to a large State School!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how strict some schools are on professor vs. lecturer? I have some lecturer LORs that I know are better than my professor ones...USC in particular asks for letters from professors