How sunk am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trek2112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my MCAT score back today and its not good. I got a 21M on it 5v 8P 8B. This also killed my chances for all my MD school I applied to. I was aiming for Umass med but that's not going to happen. I got a cumulative GPA of 3.47 and good LORs and I work as a dietary aid in a hospital. The only places I'm going to bother trying are LECOM and UNECOM since there the only schools I know of that my MCAT score doesn't bar from applying to. Should I even bother applying to these schools? I think I'm going to try Umass too since they don't have an MCAT min and I already paid the first app fee and still want to give it a go. I was told I interview well so I think may be ok if I get an invite.

Members don't see this ad.

Time to re-take that MCAT, but only after you figue out how to improve that VR score. If you're ESL, I think you'll be OK if you add some more DO schools to your list, especially the newer ones. Unfortunately, you're below the cut line for my school.

I got my MCAT score back today and its not good. I got a 21M on it 5v 8P 8B. This also killed my chances for all my MD school I applied to. I was aiming for Umass med but that's not going to happen. I got a cumulative GPA of 3.47 and good LORs and I work as a dietary aid in a hospital. The only places I'm going to bother trying are LECOM and UNECOM since there the only schools I know of that my MCAT score doesn't bar from applying to. Should I even bother applying to these schools? I think I'm going to try Umass too since they don't have an MCAT min and I already paid the first app fee and still want to give it a go. I was told I interview well so I think may be ok if I get an invite.

Members don't see this ad :)

If ESL, LECOM might take you with significantly higher science scores. A friend got in there and a couple of other places with a VR of 4 (that s/he boosted to a 5) but with double >11s in PS/BS. With 8s on the sciences in addition to a very low VR, you'd be at high risk for failing out of medical school or not passing the boards, so don't count on much without a retake. You've got to figure out what made you do poorly and eliminate those issues.

ESL isn't an issue. I can't use that excuse. I'm forced to go to a small set of schools of my original list and burned up a ton of cash on this endeavor. The other thing is that I was leaning towards MD but can't do that route. I'm ok with going DO, but it wasn't my first choice. I was told to apply to Nova and Touro along with a few other DO schools so I could have a chance to go somewhere. At this point I'd be happy with and interview anywhere just to have the experience. Its been alot to take in mainly after barley working all summer so I could study for the MCATs. I'm not going to bother retaking it because I can't study for this and do my school work. I need some free time...lol

Completely sunk. Retake.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Yeah man. Def retake.

What were you averaging on your time practice tests?

I was scoring around average on the one practice MCAT I did mid way in my studying. I used the practice in the Kaplan books and was doing well at those tests. 80+ percent correct for the Kaplan practice tests if I remember correctly. I was hoping to make the best with the hadn I was dealt for this round of applications because of all the money and time I invested. It seems like a waste to not at least pursue some schools.

If you retake the MCAT in January, most DO schools will include the new score in their considerations.
Don't re-take for January!!!! I did that last year and unless you do immensely better, you don't have a chance. Most schools are already almost full at that point and the competition is incredible. Good luck!

ESL isn't an issue. I can't use that excuse. I'm forced to go to a small set of schools of my original list and burned up a ton of cash on this endeavor. The other thing is that I was leaning towards MD but can't do that route. I'm ok with going DO, but it wasn't my first choice. I was told to apply to Nova and Touro along with a few other DO schools so I could have a chance to go somewhere. At this point I'd be happy with and interview anywhere just to have the experience. Its been alot to take in mainly after barley working all summer so I could study for the MCATs. I'm not going to bother retaking it because I can't study for this and do my school work. I need some free time...lol

You don't seem to understand that you will almost certainly not get in ANYwhere, not even DOs, with your stats. They may not be as competitive as MDs, but they are not joke programs. Your GPA is fairly acceptable for them, but your MCAT is nowhere close. You would need some exceptional ECs to get past that obstacle. So...put the "needed" free time at a lower priority. If you want to go to be a doctor, you need to retake. Period.