How to address a pharmacist...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthomyxo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a project to do about pharmacy residencies, and it involves me interviewing a current pharmacist. I'm about to email one of the assistant professors of pharmacy practice from my school to possibly set the interview up, but I don't know how to greet her. Should I say Dr. X or Professor X?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a project to do about pharmacy residencies, and it involves me interviewing a current pharmacist. I'm about to email one of the assistant professors of pharmacy practice from my school to possibly set the interview up, but I don't know how to greet her. Should I say Dr. X or Professor X?

I would say Professor X unless you know for sure they have a PhD

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe as long as you attach some professional address such as Dr or Professor, you should be fine. If they for some reason correct you with what they prefer, as a doctor recently did to me, then take it in stride and remember that for next time.

It's no big deal unless you let it.

All our faculty that have Pharm. Ds are adressed Dr. so and so. This is how the deans adress them as well.

People with Pharm.D. should be refer to as doctors. After all, Pharm.D. is short of Doctor of Pharmacy.

Attorneys have the degree of Juris Doctor conferred upon them, yet they do not want to be called "doctor."

In an academic or medical setting, pharmacists are referred to as doctors. It is rightfully so given the level of training that pharmacists go through. It is unfortunate that pharmacists are not shown with more respect.

If anyone addressed me as "Doctor Frazier", I'd laugh my ass off. When I get mail from he school that address me as "Doctor", my first reaction is "Who the F is that guy?"

But insofar as your purposes, it all depends on the pretentiousness of the person. People in academia are the most pretentious people on the planet outside of hipsters. I would address them as "Doctor" out of fear for them giving you some stupid lecture on addressing them properly. I work as a clinical pharmacist...I go around and look all important and **** on the floors with my pressed white coat with my nose in a chart or two...everyone from the janitor to the head of the internal medicine department just calls me Mike. Except a few flirty nurses that call me "Michael". Then I'll get a student and they'll call me "Dr. Frazier"...and I'll think they are talking about this nephrologist we have, Dr. Fraser.

It's kinda like in The Big Lebowski. "No..YOU'RE Mr. Lebowski. I'M The Dude!"

In an academic or medical setting, pharmacists are referred to as doctors. It is rightfully so given the level of training that pharmacists go through. It is unfortunate that pharmacists are not shown with more respect.

I've never heard of a pharmacist referred to as doctor in an academic or medical setting, ESPECIALLY in a medical setting. To do so there is simply going to confuse patients and open you up for a helluva lawsuit.

In an academic setting people are usually addressed as so and so PharmD unless they have a PhD. To not do this would address someone with a title they have not yet earned.

And I refer to one of our pharmacist as Senior Drug Lord. Try that one! :smuggrin:

Plus people who usually go out of their way to be called doctor are generally douchebags lol

It depends on setting, if you ask me.

Situation A:

Someone collapses in a coffee shop, and someone yells, "IS SOMEONE HERE A DOCTOR?"

Do you think they mean, "IS SOMEONE HERE A PHARMACIST?!" No, they mean, "IS SOMEONE HERE A PHYSICIAN?"

I agree that a doctorate does potentially permit the usage of the prefix "Dr" in many situations, but like Mike just said, only really pretentious dickwad pharmacists INSIST on being called "Dr. Soandso." It causes confusion (as the above example notes) and well, let's be honest here... Up until recently, the terminal degree for Pharmacy was a Bachelor's, and you were an RPh. The Pharm.D is a glorified doctorate, and is nothing even remotely close to what M.D.s/D.O.s or Ph.D holders go through to get.

That said, I always, always err on the side of caution, and start with "Doctor ...".

It depends on setting, if you ask me.

Situation A:

Someone collapses in a coffee shop, and someone yells, "IS SOMEONE HERE A DOCTOR?"

Do you think they mean, "IS SOMEONE HERE A PHARMACIST?!" No, they mean, "IS SOMEONE HERE A PHYSICIAN?"

I agree that a doctorate does potentially permit the usage of the prefix "Dr" in many situations, but like Mike just said, only really pretentious dickwad pharmacists INSIST on being called "Dr. Soandso." It causes confusion (as the above example notes) and well, let's be honest here... Up until recently, the terminal degree for Pharmacy was a Bachelor's, and you were an RPh. The Pharm.D is a glorified doctorate, and is nothing even remotely close to what M.D.s/D.O.s or Ph.D holders go through to get.

Prime example of douchebag Drs,

Filled an Rx for a new patient the other day and I went to the counter and said Mr Johnson, you're prescription is ready. He glared at me and said "That's Dr Johnson."

Curious, I replied "Ok, what hospital do you work at?"

He then rolled his eyes and said "I'm a doctor of philosophy"

Right.... again, douchebag lol

Prime example of douchebag Drs,

Filled an Rx for a new patient the other day and I went to the counter and said Mr Johnson, you're prescription is ready. He glared at me and said "That's Dr Johnson."

Curious, I replied "Ok, what hospital do you work at?"

He then rolled his eyes and said "I'm a doctor of philosophy"

Right.... again, douchebag lol

Eh, I don't know, for all of the crap most Ph.D holders have gone through to get it, I have no problem calling someone with a Ph.D "Doctor", honestly... but, to assume you know he's got a Ph.D is, well, douchebaggery.

Members don't see this ad :)

And WTF is a physician going to do? Do they learn to make their arms work as AEDs in medical school?

No...they'd call 911 and see if the person is in cardiopulmonary arrest like anyone else...otherwise...yeah...I mean, hell, I might as well be a physician in that hypothetical situation...

Eh, I don't know, for all of the crap most Ph.D holders have gone through to get it, I have no problem calling someone with a Ph.D "Doctor", honestly... but, to assume you know he's got a Ph.D is, well, douchebaggery.

Oh I understand what some go through to get a PhD, but that doesn't give them the right to use Dr every chance they get. I have seen profs of mine correct the cashier at the local grocery store when they say "Have a nice day sir"

I wish I had an ego that big :(

How is the general public and other health care professionals suppose to respect the pharmacy profession if people who are in the profession view it the way WVU and phathead view it? I find it sad. Have some pride in the profession.

How is the general public and other health care professionals suppose to respect the pharmacy profession if people who are in the profession view it the way WVU and phathead view it? I find it sad. Have some pride in the profession.

You can have pride in the profession without flaunting that you're a "doctor" to every Tom, Dick, and Harry you meet...

Why is it mutually exclusive to have pride in the profession but not agree with being called "doctor" so freely?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I have forgotten more about the profession than you have learned thus far.

WVU gave the prime example on why you cannot just randomly call yourself a doctor. I should dig up a case I read about two years back for a CE in which a pharmacist, referring to himself as a 'doctor', had actually patients he was not aware he had. You see they had assumed he was an MD and actually switched to their 'new doctor'. One of them died as a result of complications from a medical condition their actual doctor was treating. The family sued and won under something similar to misrepresentation of character.

And judging from your previous posts, you're going to go "Well the public will be able to tell the difference."

Let me in on a little tiny secret that anyone has worked retail knows. The public are way more stupid than you can possibly imagine. This is not to say they are not intelligent, they just do not do the smart thing at all times.

Plus, it's, again, a douchebag thing to do.

When I'm done should I be referred to as Dr. Phathead, PharmD, MBA, CPhT, Master of the Universe everywhere I go?

If that's what you really think, you need to find another profession because I do not want to have to consider you a colleague

Oh I understand what some go through to get a PhD, but that doesn't give them the right to use Dr every chance they get. I have seen profs of mine correct the cashier at the local grocery store when they say "Have a nice day sir"

I wish I had an ego that big :(

It has nothing to do with ego, it's merely giving one respect they deserve.

Not suprisingly leading people in the profession, pioneers in the field, like Mary-Anne Koda Kimble disagree with you. The dean told us during the first few days of class ( I'm quoting her closely but don't remember her very exact words: You should not be ashamed of your doctorate and it's sad that sooo many people are.

The profession is more than a title. A stupid title isn't going to get you respect. Being effective at your job will. Hell, I call some of the younger physicians by their first names. Is that "disrespectful?" No. I've gotten to know them...and I'd rather I be approachable than given a title. In the real world nobody really gives a damn about titles. They care about how useful you are.

It has nothing to do with ego, it's merely giving one respect they deserve.

Not suprisingly leading people in the profession, pioneers in the field, like Mary-Anne Koda Kimble disagree with you. The dean told us during the first few days of class ( I'm quoting her closely but don't remember her very exact words: You should not be ashamed of your doctorate and it's sad that sooo many people are.

again, I'm not saying they should be ashamed. They earned the title and they have a right to introduce themselves as such. But to do so in the examples I just gave is flat out rude. It's a thing called humility which sadly many people are lacking in the academic world. It's the equivalent of 'my penis is bigger than your penis'.

WVU gave the prime example on why you cannot just randomly call yourself a doctor.

No I didn't. Actually I think that outside of academia, the title should never be used at all. And why single out pharmacists? Dentists, podiatrists, optometrists, and other people that hold doctorates are occasionally found throughout the hospital. Are they a "risk" to patient care by addressing themselves as "Doctor?" No. If a judge gave some hypothetical idiot money because of this, I pity his jurisdiction. But the title "Doctor" needs quantified as to what type of "doctor" we are talking about during the course of dialogue with the patient...Dentist...Pharmacist...delicious soft drink...whatever. IF you insist on using the title, you need to say, "I'm Dr. phathead, your pharmacist. This is Dr. Pepper, my delicious soft drink. Dr. Taylor, your physician, asked me to come counsel you on this new drug you are taking called warfarin....blahblahblah...."

But to hell with that, just call me Mike...

Last edited:
again, I'm not saying they should be ashamed. They earned the title and they have a right to introduce themselves as such. But to do so in the examples I just gave is flat out rude. It's a thing called humility which sadly many people are lacking in the academic world. It's the equivalent of 'my penis is bigger than your penis'.

The examples you give are extremist examples in a clinical/retail setting and have nothing to do with the original OP's post.

He was specifically asking how to adress the assistant faculty member AT THE SCHOOL, he is neithher the patient, nor there will be any life threatening situation involved. It is completely appropriate to adress professor as Dr. and like I mentioned, it is a pratice used at our school.

No I didn't. Actually I think that outside of academia, the title should never be used at all. And why single out pharmacists? Dentists, podiatrists, optomotrists, and other people that hold doctorates are occasionally found throughout the hospital. Are they a "risk" to patient care by addressing themselves as "Doctor?" No. If a judge gave some hypothetical idiot money because of this, I pity his jurisdiction. But the title "Doctor" need quantified as to what type of "doctor" we are talking about...Dentist...Pharmacist...delicious soft drink...

whoops I got you and Psci flopped around. My bad :(

The examples you give are extremist examples in a clinical/retail setting and have nothing to do with the original OP's post.

He was specifically asking how to adress the assistant faculty member AT THE SCHOOL, he is neithher the patient, nor there will be any life threatening situation involved. It is completely appropriate to adress professor as Dr. and like I mentioned, it is a pratice used at our school.

This is SDN. Such displays of logic in the face of obnoxious arguing in an effort to stymie said arguing will not be tolerated. The mods have been notified.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I have forgotten more about the profession than you have learned thus far.

WVU gave the prime example on why you cannot just randomly call yourself a doctor. I should dig up a case I read about two years back for a CE in which a pharmacist, referring to himself as a 'doctor', had actually patients he was not aware he had. You see they had assumed he was an MD and actually switched to their 'new doctor'. One of them died as a result of complications from a medical condition their actual doctor was treating. The family sued and won under something similar to misrepresentation of character.

And judging from your previous posts, you're going to go "Well the public will be able to tell the difference."

Let me in on a little tiny secret that anyone has worked retail knows. The public are way more stupid than you can possibly imagine. This is not to say they are not intelligent, they just do not do the smart thing at all times.

When I'm done should I be referred to as Dr. Phathead, PharmD, MBA, CPhT, Master of the Universe everywhere I go?

If that's what you really think, you need to find another profession because I do not want to have to consider you a colleague

I also just dearly love how you preach humility "in the academic world", ( does that logic even remotely make sense considering the specific examples you give are in retail setting and not academia, that's preaching vegetarian diet while cooking yourself a nice meat lasagna :confused:), while reffering to general public as stupid. Where is the humility in that ?

This is SDN. Such displays of logic in the face of obnoxious arguing in an effort to stymie said arguing will not be tolerated. The mods have been notified.

You will then even more dearly love the post I just posted. I'm 1/4th Vulcan so it shows through sometimes.

I also just dearly love how you preach humility "in the academic world", ( does that logic even remotely make sense considering the specific examples you give are in retail setting and not academia, that's preaching vegetarian diet while cooking yourself a nice meat lasagna :confused:), while reffering to general public as stupid. Where is the humility in that ?

Again, I have no problem in an academic setting.

And read carefully, I didn't refer to them strictly as stupid, I said they act stupid at times. How many people have inserted suppositories without removing the foil? They probably knew better, but it was something they did not think of.

Maybe a better way to phrase is is that in academia you are trained to be analytical, especially the further along you go. The public generally do not have this training.

I was not trying to put myself above the patients I serve. I am no better than any one of them and, in fact, consider several of them to be stronger individuals than I ever could dream to be.

More like 1/8th. A Vulcan wouldn't have been scared while running in heels...

:laugh:

I have been blessed with spock's mind inside a barbie's body.

Anyway, abandon this thread and help me raise money for graduation in our pharmacy forum.

Unfortunately, you do not know the concept of respect. It is not so much a title as respect for the person with the title. I take that you come from a retail background given your views. Maybe you should do more research on other areas of pharmacy before generalizing the profession by one area of practice.

I am glad that not everyone in the profession view it as you do. I am joining the profession to further it. Hopefully balancing out people with with your point of view.

well yea... haven't you ever heard of a broke condom? millions of people died.

So she's a giant, mobile, self-conscious, talking condom? Damn, I need to get into this Star Wars ****. It sounds like a ****ing Picasso painting inside a David Lynch movie or some ****.

I am glad that not everyone in the profession view it as you do. I am joining the profession to further it. Hopefully balancing out people with with your point of view.

And you will advance the profession by insisting that people address you with a specific title?

Yeah...I'll be over *there* writing dosing protocols...

Unfortunately, you do not know the concept of respect. It is not so much a title as respect for the person with the title. I take that you come from a retail background given your views. Maybe you should do more research on other areas of pharmacy before generalizing the profession by one area of practice.

I have worked in a nursing service pharmacy, a hospital pharmacy and spent a ton of time in a nuclear pharmacy. I also worked as a pharmacy consultant for about two years.

I'm aware of the various areas and in an academic setting, again, I see no problem with it. But due to the public's lack of understand of what the term doctor really means (hell until I started this my parents thought doctors were just MDs) it can be misconstrued. Again, I refrain from suggesting using it in a public setting for liability reasons as there is a legal precedent.

I just don't want to see someone get burned because of it, ya know?

Now lets all go down to the local pub, have a few drinks and belt out some Journey songs. Whatdya say?

So she's a giant, mobile, self-conscious, talking condom? Damn, I need to get into this Star Wars ****. It sounds like a ****ing Picasso painting inside a David Lynch movie or some ****.

Yea... just be very careful if you go to Google this. You could end up with some.. interesting results lol

And you will advance the profession by insisting that people address you with a specific title?

Yeah...I'll be over *there* writing dosing protocols...

As I said, it is not about the title as much as it is about the respect.

I have worked in a nursing service pharmacy, a hospital pharmacy and spent a ton of time in a nuclear pharmacy. I also worked as a pharmacy consultant for about two years.

I'm aware of the various areas and in an academic setting, again, I see no problem with it. But due to the public's lack of understand of what the term doctor really means (hell until I started this my parents thought doctors were just MDs) it can be misconstrued. Again, I refrain from suggesting using it in a public setting for liability reasons as there is a legal precedent.

I just don't want to see someone get burned because of it, ya know?

Now lets all go down to the local pub, have a few drinks and belt out some Journey songs. Whatdya say?

I do agree with you that the general public do have a lack of understanding when it come to PharmDs. I just feel that it is our job as future pharmacist to change that view through our work. The one thing that I hate most about retail pharmacy is the lack of respect for the pharmacist. I know it a far reach to make the pharmacy profession into more than it is, but I think we need to at least try.

I do agree with you that the general public do have a lack of understanding when it come to PharmDs. I just feel that it is our job as future pharmacist to change that view through our work. The one thing that I hate most about retail pharmacy is the lack of respect for the pharmacist. I know it a far reach to make the pharmacy profession into more than it is, but I think we need to at least try.

And what of Pharmacy prior to the change to the Pharm.D, hmm?

Trust me, my long term plan is to change the view the public views a pharmacist. Part of the reason why I'm getting a MBA is to help facilitate this.

All Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, etc have done is reenforce the notion that pharmacists merely count by fives and put it in a bottle. Very few people understand the knowledge and ability many pharmacists have. You wouldn't believe how many people think pharmacy is a two year AA degree.

Change is coming, but very very slowly. I worked for an organization that is stepping into making pharmacy more than just dispensing. My hope is to take it even a step farther when I'm done with schooling.

Hell my buddy and I are gonna start up some businesses in the next year to start growing some capital to facilitate this.

It's going to be a long process, but eventually the respect will come. Just takes baby steps.

Trust me, my long term plan is to change the view the public views a pharmacist. Part of the reason why I'm getting a MBA is to help facilitate this.

All Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, etc have done is reenforce the notion that pharmacists merely count by fives and put it in a bottle. Very few people understand the knowledge and ability many pharmacists have. You wouldn't believe how many people think pharmacy is a two year AA degree.

Change is coming, but very very slowly. I worked for an organization that is stepping into making pharmacy more than just dispensing. My hope is to take it even a step farther when I'm done with schooling.

Hell my buddy and I are gonna start up some businesses in the next year to start growing some capital to facilitate this.

It's going to be a long process, but eventually the respect will come. Just takes baby steps.

Nice. I am glad to hear that more people are trying to improve the field. Hopefully the baby steps by many people will turn into a movement towards what the profession should be.

Nice. I am glad to hear that more people are trying to improve the field. Hopefully the baby steps by many people will turn into a movement towards what the profession should be.

The first thing we have to do is get the PBMs in line. They're really the ones preventing pharmacy from reaching its true potential.

MTMs are really the first step in this process. I also think you're going to see something like the Asheville Project become very widespread in the coming years. Preventive Healthcare is the new buzz phrase and rightly so.

The first thing we have to do is get the PBMs in line. They're really the ones preventing pharmacy from reaching its true potential.

MTMs are really the first step in this process. I also think you're going to see something like the Asheville Project become very widespread in the coming years. Preventive Healthcare is the new buzz phrase and rightly so.

..or you could just demand people call you "Doctor"...