How to address a pharmacist...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Attorneys have the degree of Juris Doctor conferred upon them, yet they do not want to be called "doctor."

In an academic situation you are incorrect, it's appropriate to call Pharm.D's and J.D.'s "Dr" in academia and most of them prefer that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Three years in academia with numerous publications. I did not mean to be "cocky."

So using my understanding of receptor-affinity mechanisms to hypothesize a potential way to ease a real man's pain in a situation where there is no standard of care and you can only freestyle a solution....and that no other physician or pharmacist in the entire building could conjure up...that actually wound up working...and eased the man's seemingly intractable pain...but...I'm just maybe doing my job...time will tell...I mean, people still call me by my first name...how dare I take satisfaction in simply trying to care for my patient to the best of my ability without regard to stupid facades such as titles...

...but if people started calling me "Doctor"...THEN I'm doing my job...

...yeah.

Here's $5. Buy a clue.

So using my understanding of receptor-affinity mechanisms to hypothesize a potential way to ease a real man's pain in a situation where there is no standard of care and you can only freestyle a solution....and that no other physician or pharmacist in the entire building could conjure up...that actually wound up working...and eased the man's seemingly intractable pain...but...I'm just maybe doing my job...time will tell...I mean, people still call me by my first name...how dare I take satisfaction in simply trying to care for my patient to the best of my ability without regard to stupid facades such as titles...

...but if people started calling me "Doctor"...THEN I'm doing my job...

...yeah.

Here's $5. Buy a clue.

Wow, I do not know how many times I have to say that it is about the respect for the professionals.

For someone that is already a practicing professional, I pretty surprised at your level of maturity. "Here's $5, Buy a clue." Are you kidding me? I hope you do portray that manner to your patients. Grow up.

Wow, I do not know how many times I have to say that it is about the respect for the professionals.

Do you have any idea how much respect that hospitalist has shown me since that day. Hell, he actually knows my name now. And I've been calling him by his first name since then, too. That's called MUTUAL respect. And being as though I'm a member of said profession, I'd imagine that also gives respect to the profession. We don't need to hide behind titles...he knows I'm not an idiot...and can be useful. If I call him with an issue, he listens to me.

For someone that is already a practicing professional, I pretty surprised at your level of maturity. "Here's $5, Buy a clue." Are you kidding me?

And by the level of your pretentious demeanor, I'm not surprised you are a pre-pharmacy student with no real world experience. Nowhere on the planet is as stuffy and pithy as academia. NOWHERE. The real world is about results and how you can relate to others in a way that makes them comfortable - but in a way that makes you demand respect while simultaneously being approachable.

That's why I'm against titles for everyone. It creates a wall of intimidation. But that's another discussion.

I hope you do portray that manner to your patients.

There's a difference between how you treat a patient in the hospital and some know-it-all pre-pharmer.

Dude, you're the one with the utter hubris to insinuate that a fella you don't know isn't doing his job because he doesn't give a damn about something as idiotic and fleeting as the perceived prestige one gets from a title.

Do you have any idea how much respect that hospitalist has shown me since that day. Hell, he actually knows my name now. And I've been calling him by his first name since then, too. That's called MUTUAL respect. And being as though I'm a member of said profession, I'd imagine that also gives respect to the profession. We don't need to hide behind titles...he knows I'm not an idiot...and can be useful. If I call him with an issue, he listens to me.

That great that there is mutual respect between you and your colleagues. However, that respect and informality is a result of the relationship that you built with them. I am sure that is not the case at first encounter. You would not approach unfamiliar doctors and address them by their first name.

And by the level of your pretentious demeanor, I'm not surprised you are a pre-pharmacy student with no real world experience. Nowhere on the planet is as stuffy and pithy as academia. NOWHERE. The real world is about results and how you can relate to others in a way that makes them comfortable - but in a way that makes you demand respect while simultaneously being approachable.

I think it is pompous to assume that I have no real world experience just because I am a pre-pharm. My views are due to my real world experiences. I agree that being approachable and being respected is not exclusive, which is my point.

That's why I'm against titles for everyone. It creates a wall of intimidation. But that's another discussion.

There's a difference between how you treat a patient in the hospital and some know-it-all pre-pharmer.

More name calling. Nice. Proper personal conduct is necessary regardless of the situation.

Dude, you're the one with the utter hubris to insinuate that a fella you don't know isn't doing his job because he doesn't give a damn about something as idiotic and fleeting as the perceived prestige one gets from a title.

You need to re-read the comments and the context in which that comment was made. The conversation was on improving the field of pharmacy, which will take time and contribution from all pharmacists.

DARN, i missed it...:laugh:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I started reading the forum.
My 2 cents-My mother has her JD, and is a prof, so she goes by Doctor.
Honestly, Demanding that people call you doctor might make you look a little insecure-like you need that to make you a good pharmacist.

When in reality, doctors, pharmacist, PAs, etc are all PEERS-with a COMMON goal of improving the lives of their patients. If you're more concerned about Your title and being called by it 24/7 instead of figuring out why this woman has skin has started falling off due to a drug reaction or why this man can't feel his face
Then
MAYBE...JUST MAYBE...You're in the wrong profession.

okay so that was like 12 cents but you know what I meant.

"It's DR Evil, I didn't go to evil medical school to be called Mr Thank You Very Much"

Reading this thread is somewhat amusing. I can see 2 groups of people... One group insists that the title Dr. should be reserved for physicians and Ph.D only and the other group think that all doctorate degree holders can be called Dr.
Well for me, I think a patient can call a PharmD "Dr." as long as it is appropriate to the context/situation. If you go to a supermarket and ask customer to call you "Dr.", then it is kinda odd.
Having said that, all PharmD in a teaching university should be called Dr. to show them the same respect as other Ph.D "dr." The same thing applies to the clinical pharmacist in the hospital. Most of the time they want you to call them by their first name anyway.

Reading this thread is somewhat amusing. I can see 2 groups of people... One group insists that the title Dr. should be reserved for physicians and Ph.D only and the other group think that all doctorate degree holders can be called Dr.
Well for me, I think a patient can call a PharmD "Dr." as long as it is appropriate to the context/situation. If you go to a supermarket and ask customer to call you "Dr.", then it is kinda odd.
Having said that, all PharmD in a teaching university should be called Dr. to show them the same respect as other Ph.D "dr." The same thing applies to the clinical pharmacist in the hospital. Most of the time they want you to call them by their first name anyway.

Do you think a surgeon should be called "Dr" at a super market?

I just got hired at a Pharmacy and I'm trying to apply for Pharmacy School for Fall 2010, the schools I'm applying to require a recommendation letter from a work supervisor (which I have one done), a faculty member/advisor (have that done) and a practicing pharmacist. I planned on sending out everything by November 30 (the Monday after Thanksgiving) but how do I ask one of the pharmacists that I work with for a letter of recommendation? I feel that is too early to ask for a letter of recommendation and if I do ask, they wouldn't have a reasonable amount of time to write it. Help! :scared:

Do you think a surgeon should be called "Dr" at a super market?

I believe the discussion is whether a PharmD should be addressed as Dr. or not, not surgeon. But to answer that question, unless he introduces himself as a surgeon, I call him by his name. If he comes to the super market and "introduces" himself as a surgeon, then I call him Dr.

I don't really see what the big deal is. Addressing a pharmacist as "Dr." is probably the polite thing to do. It's better to overshoot the title than undershoot, especially to those who might become offended. And to those pharmacists or Ph. Ds that would also like to be referred to with that title, what is wrong with respecting their education and their wishes as opposed to tagging them all as "douchebags"? Having pharm D's addressed as "Dr." only means that the career status is being elevated so essentially we all win.

Why do people who do Ph.D's in statistics get to be called Dr.? They don't work in hospitals either. I understand you write a dissertation to get your PhD but seriously, are you going to compare specifics of doctorate programs now to determine who gets what title?

OH GOD DR. PEPPER IS NOT ACTUALLY A DOCTOR IT IS A CARBONATED BEVERAGE WHAT A DOUCHE.

Last edited:
I believe the discussion is whether a PharmD should be addressed as Dr. or not, not surgeon. But to answer that question, unless he introduces himself as a surgeon, I call him by his name. If he comes to the super market and "introduces" himself as a surgeon, then I call him Dr.

I 'believe' it was just a question.