How to apply as a transgender woman?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transgenderinmedicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am new here and have a question that's been burning at me for years and I have seen threads that sort of address this question, but not 100%. I am a transgender woman. I'm currently not on hormones and not the most passable. My legal name nor sex has not been changed. Me being transgender has been a huge process to why I'm interested in applying to medical school and am specifically interested in plastic surgery and addressing the huge healthcare disparity in the Trans community. I know many schools are not as liberal as others and I have a huge concern how I can safely present myself without fear of discrimination. And don't tell me they can't discriminate because many schools will, but point at other reasons why they did not accept me to be safe. My main concern is how to address myself on my personal statement and I think most importantly during interviews. I already am nervous enough as it is to be interviewing for medical school on top of being a transgender applicant. Should I dress in formal female professional attire or limit that during the interview. Should I tell them my preferred name and pronouns? I fear I will be mocked and rejected from a field I am so passionate about solely due to my gender identity. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm assuming some schools are more open-minded than others. I have never met anyone in my position so if there are others out there please talk to me about your journey. The only transgender female doctor I know is Dr. Marci Bowers and I do not believe she was out during her application, but she won't get back to me when I e-mail her. The Trans community often falls short in their career goals and end up in pretty horrific situations which is why often the Trans community finds it hard to even make it as a med school applicant so I sense my story is few and far between. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Let me put it to you easy: you can't know how people will react unless you try. The one thing they will hold against you is if you're not true to yourself, so be clear about how you prefer to be treated. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Before you start stressing about the chance that someone can (and frankly some will) discriminate, which you can't control. Let's focus on the things you control...what are your realistic stat expectations? Are you expecting to take the mcat soon, if so, what's your score on a full length practice exam? any research/volunteer experience?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, this is not nearly as big of a deal, but I thought about similar things concerning disclosing my sexuality and the role I hope LGTB health will play in my future. Some schools actively welcome/recruit trans/LGBT diversity like Penn, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, University of Michigan. These schools have groups that reached out to applicants, invited them to dinners/lunches/etc. In my secondaries to these schools I definitely talked about my connection to the LGBT community. Some of the other schools I applied to, are definitely less openly pro-gay so I kept that all under wraps. Frankly, the question is whether or not you personally care whether you will be welcomed by the school community as you are. For me, it would not be the end of the world to go to a school for four years where I didn't publicize my sexuality. If you can't deal with that kind of discrimination, then I would say don't hide anything in your application. If you can deal with going back in the closet for four years (or some lesser level of that), then do whatever is necessary for each individual school to have your best shot of getting in.

Same thing for interviews. Imagine your interview performance was colored by your trans-ness. Would you care to go to a school that judged you negatively for that? Personally, I have bent over backwards to make sure everything about my appearance was kosher (piercings out, conservative blue skirt suit, I wore makeup for the first time in forever) - who know what type of interviewer you will get. For me, the most important thing is to get in. Later, I can make a decision to go somewhere because I fit in or not go somewhere because the culture isn't for me. That said, I can understand how it might be very painful for someone who has already had to fight to come out once to go back to hiding.

tl/dr: Schools are different. For some people, the most important thing is to get in and they are willing to sacrifices bits of themselves temporarily, others do not wish to make that sacrifice. You need to figure out which type of person you are.

Reactions: 13 users
So, this is not nearly as big of a deal, but I thought about similar things concerning disclosing my sexuality and the role I hope LGTB health will play in my future. Some schools actively welcome/recruit trans/LGBT diversity like Penn, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, University of Michigan. These schools have groups that reached out to applicants, invited them to dinners/lunches/etc. In my secondaries to these schools I definitely talked about my connection to the LGBT community. Some of the other schools I applied to, are definitely less openly pro-gay so I kept that all under wraps. Frankly, the question is whether or not you personally care whether you will be welcomed by the school community as you are. For me, it would not be the end of the world to go to a school for four years where I didn't publicize my sexuality. If you can't deal with that kind of discrimination, then I would say don't hide anything in your application. If you can deal with going back in the closet for four years (or some lesser level of that), then do whatever is necessary for each individual school to have your best shot of getting in.

Same thing for interviews. Imagine your interview performance was colored by your trans-ness. Would you care to go to a school that judged you negatively for that? Personally, I have bent over backwards to make sure everything about my appearance was kosher (piercings out, conservative blue skirt suit, I wore makeup for the first time in forever) - who know what type of interviewer you will get. For me, the most important thing is to get in. Later, I can make a decision to go somewhere because I fit in or not go somewhere because the culture isn't for me. That said, I can understand how it might be very painful for someone who has already had to fight to come out once to go back to hiding.

tl/dr: Schools are different. For some people, the most important thing is to get in and they are willing to sacrifices bits of themselves temporarily, others do not wish to make that sacrifice. You need to figure out which type of person you are.

@kyamh ... I'm surprised that this is a big deal. Here's to being underwhelmed by the United States, once again...

I had a similar issue deciding whether or not to be out on my application, and I did pretty much the same thing as kyamh suggested. For me, being in the closet isn't a big deal, so I didn't mention it in my personal statement but included it selectively in secondaries for schools that recruit LGBT students. For you, going in the closet would be a little more difficult, so I think your next step is to see where your GPA/MCAT fall, which LGBT friendly schools are in your range, and whatever you do, do not apply to Loma Linda.

A couple of questions:

1) Is this aspect of your life mentioned anywhere else in your application? I imagine it might be in your PS based on your story, but have you done any work with organizations or otherwise with the trans community that you brought up?

2) What do you yourself identify as? Seems like a silly question, but this is obviously relevant.

If you've mentioned this aspect of your life elsewhere in your app but then don't identify yourself as a trans-gendered person, then that would bring up some questions as to what's going on. In that case, I think it would be wise to identify yourself as trans-gender and refer to yourself with the pronoun that you think is most appropriate. If you don't otherwise mention this in your app, then the choice is really yours. I will say that the stigma you're referring to is likely a concern, but ultimately the question comes down to you with how comfortable you feel about sharing this with strangers.

Good luck.

I want to preface this by saying that I don't identify as trans*, but hopefully my thoughts will still be helpful to you one way or the other. I think the most important part about this is being true to yourself and honoring how you feel. In terms of appearance, present yourself however you feel best fits you. That being said, without a doubt, I think it is definitely harder if you don't pass. I would say definitely tell them your preferred name and pronouns. Otherwise, I wonder if presenting yourself otherwise would make you uncomfortable and not able to perform well on the interview? Do what you need to do to perform the best/be the most comfortable and confidentt on your interview! Definitely, definitely though I think you should be out on your application. A lot of schools are very receptive to the struggles of those in the LGBT community. If med schools discriminate against you on paper on the basis of your gender identity, then honestly, you probably don't want to go to that medical school because it will be a horrible environment and you will probably be miserable. Best of luck to you!

Cat asked me to contact you.

I am a transgender man.

How much you should talk about it really depends on if it helps your story. You aren't going to get diversity points for it and don't tell it just to tell it. If it answers why you are going into medicine, great. That's the reason to do it. That is pretty much the only reason to do it.

I am out in my personal statement because it impacts the reason I want to go into medicine. However, I have had a lot of discrimination in my interviews. I had one interviewer tell me that I was simply not going into the school. I had another tell me that it flags me as someone who won't be able to treat straight patients because I care about LGBT health. I had another person who said because they needed a balanced class, they would have to find someone who was my opposite. Be prepared for things like that in your interview. This is my third year applying and I've been interviewed all three of those years.

Hello all!

I am new here and have a question that's been burning at me for years and I have seen threads that sort of address this question, but not 100%. I am a transgender woman. I'm currently not on hormones and not the most passable. My legal name nor sex has not been changed. Me being transgender has been a huge process to why I'm interested in applying to medical school and am specifically interested in plastic surgery and addressing the huge healthcare disparity in the Trans community. I know many schools are not as liberal as others and I have a huge concern how I can safely present myself without fear of discrimination. And don't tell me they can't discriminate because many schools will, but point at other reasons why they did not accept me to be safe. My main concern is how to address myself on my personal statement and I think most importantly during interviews. I already am nervous enough as it is to be interviewing for medical school on top of being a transgender applicant. Should I dress in formal female professional attire or limit that during the interview. Should I tell them my preferred name and pronouns? I fear I will be mocked and rejected from a field I am so passionate about solely due to my gender identity. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm assuming some schools are more open-minded than others. I have never met anyone in my position so if there are others out there please talk to me about your journey. The only transgender female doctor I know is Dr. Marci Bowers and I do not believe she was out during her application, but she won't get back to me when I e-mail her. The Trans community often falls short in their career goals and end up in pretty horrific situations which is why often the Trans community finds it hard to even make it as a med school applicant so I sense my story is few and far between. Thank you!

I personally find your passion for serving the Trans community inspiring, and I'm sure some adcoms would feel the same. The way I see it, apply broadly and be honest and open with who you are. If a school does not accept you because of your identity, then the school is not likely a place you will feel comfortable for four years (and consequently will be unable to excel). If a school finds your story inspiring and intriguing, its community is likely more progressive and will be somewhere that you can excel.

That said, obviously your stats need to be your primary concern for now... You need to give schools no reason not to like you (aware of the double negative)!

Best of luck!!!

Cat asked me to contact you.

I am a transgender man.

How much you should talk about it really depends on if it helps your story. You aren't going to get diversity points for it and don't tell it just to tell it. If it answers why you are going into medicine, great. That's the reason to do it. That is pretty much the only reason to do it.

I am out in my personal statement because it impacts the reason I want to go into medicine. However, I have had a lot of discrimination in my interviews. I had one interviewer tell me that I was simply not going into the school. I had another tell me that it flags me as someone who won't be able to treat straight patients because I care about LGBT health. I had another person who said because they needed a balanced class, they would have to find someone who was my opposite. Be prepared for things like that in your interview. This is my third year applying and I've been interviewed all three of those years.

I appreciate your input greatly. 3 years applying with no avail? Are your scores solid and everything else? I'd hate to be asked questions like that. I am very much an activist for the community and do not appreciate interviewers asking me questions geared toward my passion for the community or my gender identity. To answer some other peoples questions more specifically I have done 3 years and counting of activism for the transgender community working for a grassroots non-profit and have been on panels for medical students about the healthcare disparity in the transgender community. I have been on the executive board of LGBTQIA for 2 years and Transgender Intersex Alliance for a year. It is hugely relevant to my application. I am constantly denied healthcare because of my identity and struggle to find doctors that will treat me and have ended up homeless on the streets. I have a Bachelor of Arts in Theatre and a Bachelor of Science in Human Biology with a 3.63 GPA (science GPA may be 3.7) and a Masters of Science in Biology with a 4.0 GPA. I currently work as a paid lab assistant in a lab for the past year as well as work for a grassroots non-profit as an activist for the transgender community and I volunteer nights in the ER. I have previous volunteer experience in a clinic, won research awards and presented at national conferences. I have solid letters one being from the director of the MD/PhD program at my school whom is the same person I work for as a lab assistant. I am taking the MCAT in June. My scores are not up to par yet I'd say 25ish as of right now. I am applying to mainly MD/PhD programs so I know my score needs to be in the 30s. I guess my biggest concerns are my GPA may be considered a bit low and the MCAT needs to be boosted and of course my concern of presentation at an interview. I feel my background strongly influences my broad perspective of how I can treat many under-represented groups not just the trans community based on my upbringing.

At first I was going to censor everything and come off as a gay man during interviews as it is impossible to hide my effeminate nature. But then I realized the whole reason I want to be in the medical field is because of my trans identity and I would be lying in interviews if I said otherwise. I was thinking I could mention I have passion for the trans community and the striking healthcare disparity that exists in my statement without outing myself and then gear secondaries about my identity in diversity-related questions and then present perhaps more androgynous at an interview and not mention preferred name or pronouns. But if I do this then perhaps when I mention I'm transgender in secondaries they would expect me to dress female in interviews. Not sure what exactly to do. Thanks for the advice thus far.

P.S. I am not out in my lab or in the E.R. Only in my activism and home life.

I can't really offer much advice, but I would just like to point out that you should be okay with going into a field other than plastics if you go to medical school.

Best of luck to you.

I appreciate your input greatly. 3 years applying with no avail? Are your scores solid and everything else?

You can see my scores and such on my mdapplicants profile.

If I have Emory attendings state that most of my ECs and scores are good enough that I should be getting in, I assume they are good enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can see my scores and such on my mdapplicants profile.

If I have Emory attendings state that most of my ECs and scores are good enough that I should be getting in, I assume they are good enough.

You definitely inspire me and you have done a lot for yourself in terms of the ECs. I need to boost my MCAT score that's my main focus as of right now. It must be hard for you especially having 4 children I could not even imagine. My friend is applying as a single mom and that is pretty rough.

OP, if you are concerned and just want to up your statistical odds, shadow a DO and apply DO as well.....your stats (with a mcat in the 30's) are probably fine for MD but you'd be great for DO which has lower stats.

the religiously affiliated schools that I'm aware of (in which you might face issues) would be loma linda (MD) and marion/liberty/campbell/williamcarey (DO).....so probably focue on other schools besides them...good luck

You definitely inspire me and you have done a lot for yourself in terms of the ECs. I need to boost my MCAT score that's my main focus as of right now. It must be hard for you especially having 4 children I could not even imagine. My friend is applying as a single mom and that is pretty rough.

Thank you.

Luckily three of the children are adults now, I adopted all but one when I was married. The youngest (mine) is about to turn 11. I do want more children though.

That MDapplicants profile does not include all my other activism, just what the medical schools know. They don't know about my LGBT activities for the most part. Nor do they realise that I am a very active member of my synagogue.

I had actually forgotten one of my important ECs, it's there now. I used to own a few companies which I started.

I think I terrify other interviewees.

OP, if you are concerned and just want to up your statistical odds, shadow a DO and apply DO as well.....your stats (with a mcat in the 30's) are probably fine for MD but you'd be great for DO which has lower stats.

Slight problem. Their OMM courses might require a balanced class or mostly balanched.

GA-PCOM is who told me they needed a balanced class, they would have to find someone who was my opposite. That was my first cycle.

Thank you.

Luckily three of the children are adults now, I adopted all but one when I was married. The youngest (mine) is about to turn 11. I do want more children though.

That MDapplicants profile does not include all my other activism, just what the medical schools know. They don't know about my LGBT activities for the most part. Nor do they realise that I am a very active member of my synagogue.

I had actually forgotten one of my important ECs, it's there now. I used to own a few companies which I started.

I think I terrify other interviewees.

That's my concern is I do not want to terrify the interviewees. I want them to see me as an applicant for their school....not a "man in women's clothes" sitting before them. I want their focus to be on me as an applicant and I am concerned that our society may not be 100% ready. It's sad to think even the scientific community can be so far behind. There's no way I will not mention trans issues, but presenting myself as female I still am hesitant about, but at the same time as I mentioned previously if I mention on secondaries I'm transgender they may question why I present differently in person. I want them to feel comfortable so I can feel comfortable. My friend said to dress accordingly based on school. I'm mainly applying to New York schools which I hear are more liberal and then some Cali schools (UCSF being another open school). Wow talking about this makes me feel like a black student before the civil right movement trying to get into a white university. How backwards this country still is.

Slight problem. Their OMM courses might require a balanced class or mostly balanched.

GA-PCOM is who told me they needed a balanced class, they would have to find someone who was my opposite. That was my first cycle.

I agree it's possible...but OP only needs one place to say yes

My main concern is how to address myself on my personal statement and I think most importantly during interviews. I already am nervous enough as it is to be interviewing for medical school on top of being a transgender applicant. Should I dress in formal female professional attire or limit that during the interview. Should I tell them my preferred name and pronouns?
Additional resources can be found in this LGBTQ Applicant Thead started by a successful trans applicant: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-lgbtq-applicant-thread.1013024/

P.S. I am not out in my lab or in the E.R. Only in my activism and home life.

Just as an aside, I can see this as being a bit of a problem in terms of letters of recommendation. The difference in pronouns among letters might confuse adcom members who wonder if the writer really knows the applicant or has made an error or used a form letter and not changed the pronouns.

Reactions: 2 users
Just as an aside, I can see this as being a bit of a problem in terms of letters of recommendation. The difference in pronouns among letters might confuse adcom members who wonder if the writer really knows the applicant or has made an error or used a form letter and not changed the pronouns.

Definitely an interesting point I never thought about. I'm applying to my own school whom my boss is the director of and he doesn't fully know so it would be a coming out experience for me to be at the interview female presenting. This is all very nerve racking for me.

Hey there, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. The medical school application process is already difficult enough without having to deal with all of this, and I'm sorry that this worry and stress about whether or not schools will accept you not just as an applicant but as a person has to be piled on top of the rest of it. I agree with what LizzyM said above - I would try to have a much consistency in your application as possible, whatever you decided to do.

The best advice I can offer you is that you won't know if it'll work out until you try! Make your application the best that you possibly can and catch admissions committees' attentions with kick-ass MCAT scores. Maybe do a little anonymous scouting to see if schools you think might be a good fit have a good LGBT community, or even have had trans students before. Going for MD/PhD is going to be tough no matter where you go, because you'll generally have your regular MD interviews plus the additional ones for the PhD related stuff, so more people with question marks as to their biases.

I really hope it works out for you, and I think any school would be lucky to have you in their class. You'll certainly offer a unique perspective with your healthcare experiences.

(P.S - if you do end up going MD/PhD, consider UMass! I don't actually know that we've had any trans students before, but I can tell you LGBT-related issues come up in our interviewing classes quite often. Sometimes our standardized patients are intentionally ambiguous about pronouns for their partner/themselves to teach us not to fall into the trap of making assumptions about our patients - gotta love Massachusetts!)

Hey there, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. The medical school application process is already difficult enough without having to deal with all of this, and I'm sorry that this worry and stress about whether or not schools will accept you not just as an applicant but as a person has to be piled on top of the rest of it. I agree with what LizzyM said above - I would try to have a much consistency in your application as possible, whatever you decided to do.

The best advice I can offer you is that you won't know if it'll work out until you try! Make your application the best that you possibly can and catch admissions committees' attentions with kick-ass MCAT scores. Maybe do a little anonymous scouting to see if schools you think might be a good fit have a good LGBT community, or even have had trans students before. Going for MD/PhD is going to be tough no matter where you go, because you'll generally have your regular MD interviews plus the additional ones for the PhD related stuff, so more people with question marks as to their biases.

I really hope it works out for you, and I think any school would be lucky to have you in their class. You'll certainly offer a unique perspective with your healthcare experiences.

(P.S - if you do end up going MD/PhD, consider UMass! I don't actually know that we've had any trans students before, but I can tell you LGBT-related issues come up in our interviewing classes quite often. Sometimes our standardized patients are intentionally ambiguous about pronouns for their partner/themselves to teach us not to fall into the trap of making assumptions about our patients - gotta love Massachusetts!)

I have heard great things about Massachusetts and will definitely be applying. I know MD/PhD is already a prestigious route, but I will always ask what if, if I don't do it...especially since I have 3+ years of research experience, a Masters, and a publication with awards. I hear many MD/PhD programs will drop you in the just MD pool if they find you aren't quite a strong enough applicant which works for me. I am also applying to some purely MD schools as well. DO I am hesitant about because I hear there's a lack of residencies related to surgery with DO. But I am open to which specialty as I obviously do not as of yet have hands-on experiences with these things besides the small rat surgeries I do in lab.

I have heard great things about Massachusetts and will definitely be applying. I know MD/PhD is already a prestigious route, but I will always ask what if, if I don't do it...especially since I have 3+ years of research experience, a Masters, and a publication with awards. I hear many MD/PhD programs will drop you in the just MD pool if they find you aren't quite a strong enough applicant which works for me. I am also applying to some purely MD schools as well. DO I am hesitant about because I hear there's a lack of residencies related to surgery with DO. But I am open to which specialty as I obviously do not as of yet have hands-on experiences with these things besides the small rat surgeries I do in lab.

I might be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure this is done automatically (i.e., you are generally considered with the MD pool if you are rejected from the MSTP pool).

How can you consider yourself a transgendered woman without having surgery, taking hormones, altering your name, etc.? In essence, aren't you simply a man who dresses like a woman?

I only ask because this confuses me (as someone who does not know much of anything about the transgender community), and may confuse an ADCOM member. Other than that, your EC's and GPA look superb.

That's my concern is I do not want to terrify the interviewees.

Honestly I would terrify them based on my ECs alone. I probably scare the fellow interviewees and the interviewers. I've had VR say such things when they look at my resume. I don't feel that being transgender is a "scary" thing to them. I've had almost equal comments regarding my religion than trans stuff. 2 religion comments, 3 LGBT ones.

Dress professional as whatever sex you pass the best as. That will help. At this point, I could not pass as a woman very well so I will obviously be going as male. I just purchased a new suit which downplays my hips. I had to wonder if the guy at the store knew as he kept commenting on my hips and my butt. ;)

Something that might come up, they might ask you if you are planning to talk about it with patients. I have been in medical related areas since 2009, I have only disclosed to two patients out of the thousands I've seen. One was a gay man whose gaydar pinged me (he was also partnered with a transgender person) and he kept trying to get me to disclose in other ways which I kept blocking until he outed himself and flat out asked if I was gay (I said yes, actually I am gay and trans). Never have I seen such a happy patient. The other was a lesbian who said she was injured at Pride, apparently the Black LGBT community has a separate one in Atlanta. So I tell them no as I don't generally do so. Interviewers seem to be convinced that we all only talk about our LGBT identities all the time. I think that is one of the problems that they have with us.

Just try to show that you are a good applicant with a somewhat unusual trait. Don't play it up drastically.

I hear many MD/PhD programs will drop you in the just MD pool if they find you aren't quite a strong enough applicant which works for me. I am also applying to some purely MD schools as well.
I might be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure this is done automatically (i.e., you are generally considered with the MD pool if you are rejected from the MSTP pool).
It depends on the school. Some ask you to send an email if you want to be considered for MD admissions, some do it automatically, some won't do it at all. Even if you do get moved to the MD-only pool, it's often so late in the season that your odds are very slim. Obviously this is anecdotal, but of the 10 MD/PhD programs that have rejected me this cycle, only one gave me an MD interview.

Also I would NOT disclose that you are aiming for plastics in your MD/PhD applications. Most physician scientists end up in non-surgical specialties like path, IM, neuro, etc., and adcoms might doubt your commitment to research if you tell them you're thinking surgery. I had shadowing experience with a neurossurgeon and a dermatologist on my application, and quite a few interviewers brought it up while asking if I am "really interested in research."

As long as you can pull off a great MCAT score (34 or higher, ideally), you will be very competitive for MD/PhD programs, including MSTPs. Best of luck.

It depends on the school. Some ask you to send an email if you want to be considered for MD admissions, some do it automatically, some won't do it at all. Even if you do get moved to the MD-only pool, it's often so late in the season that your odds are very slim. Obviously this is anecdotal, but of the 10 MD/PhD programs that have rejected me this cycle, only one gave me an MD interview.

Also I would NOT disclose that you are aiming for plastics in your MD/PhD applications. Most physician scientists end up in non-surgical specialties like path, IM, neuro, etc., and adcoms might doubt your commitment to research if you tell them you're thinking surgery. I had shadowing experience with a neurossurgeon and a dermatologist on my application, and quite a few interviewers brought it up while asking if I am "really interested in research."

As long as you can pull off a great MCAT score (34 or higher, ideally), you will be very competitive for MD/PhD programs, including MSTPs. Best of luck.

Hmm, good to know - thanks for sharing.

Agreed BTW with not being aggressive about the specialty choice.

Oh, you young people! Thinking History began with you. Don't forget Dr Renee Richards! Eye surgeon and tennis star.

I suspect that you'll want to avoid schools like Loma Linda and LUCOM. Don't know about BU, MarionCOM and Loyola.

The only transgender female doctor I know is Dr. Marci Bowers and I do not believe she was out during her application, but she won't get back to me when I e-mail her. The Trans community often falls short in their career goals and end up in pretty horrific situations which is why often the Trans community finds it hard to even make it as a med school applicant so I sense my story is few and far between. Thank you![/quote]

Last edited:
How can you consider yourself a transgendered woman without having surgery, taking hormones, altering your name, etc.? In essence, aren't you simply a man who dresses like a woman?

I only ask because this confuses me (as someone who does not know much of anything about the transgender community), and may confuse an ADCOM member. Other than that, your EC's and GPA look superb.

I suggest you do some more research on the transgender community, but because I assume you are from a kind and unknowing place I will share with you some common knowledge. Being transgender has nothing to do with hormones, name change, assigned sex, surgeries, etc. It has to do with how you identify inside since you were very young. And since you are from a privileged cisgender background you have never once questioned your gender or have others question it. I assume you are not aware of the difficulty it often takes to legally change your name or legally change you sex or how difficult it is to come out to friends family or the workplace without fear of being mocked, ridiculed, and discriminated against. You may also not be aware how expensive these various surgeries are. The ability to transition at all comes from a lot of hard work and perseverance. It is not some easy task that happens over night willy nilly. It is a delicate process that must be handled properly.

I am aware most people cisgender do not have an understanding and thus why exists my fear. And yes I do understand that mentioning plastics seems to deter the PhD portion of my aspirations. I love research and see it as so important to further scientific knowledge through research to better medicine so I probably will leave the focus on surgery out, but definitely want to mention addressing the disparity in transgender healthcare in general.

Reactions: 4 users
I hope apply as yourself and succeed! I think you will be well-served by applying to schools in more liberal areas. Obviously biased opinion, but if your MCAT score is there, consider USC. Opportunities to work with LGBTQ populations, student health insurance covers specific care for trans students, there's a trans children's clinic, etc. :)

Obviously avoid the religious schools that Goro mentioned. Overall, wear what you feel comfortable in and just be confident. I don't see why any of this would be relevant unless you made it so. Like anything else, if you think your gender is significant enough to put into a personal statement, then do it. Just avoid making a huge deal out of this and it shouldn't be a problem. If an interviewer has any sort of problem with it there is nothing you can say or do to change their mind, so why even waste the time and effort? As I said before, as long as you are confident nobody will care.

Since you are asking for advice I'd like to throw my $.02 in but keep in mind I have no real experience with transgender issues.

I'm not sure if I have your story right but you mentioned that you are not completely out in your real life and are still transitioning? If that is the case I would say med school application is not the right time to come out. I know that really sucks but it just seems like too much stress and pressure for one time. Like you said before your lab and stuff doesn't know so the pronouns in your letters will be a mess. Also, it might come off to some people that you just decided this and that's why you haven't gone all the way (I know this is not true).

If you really want to be out when you apply I would take some time off to first come out in my personal life and then take care of all the little things that people would ask about such as name and legally changing your sex on your ID and stuff. This would take way too long in my opinion.

I have one question for you. Do you think at this point right now that you look better as a man or as a woman? I'm just asking because before you mentioned that you are not really passable yet. So if you are not 100% where you would like to be physically as a woman then I wouldn't risk it for the interview. I don't think skirt suits look nice on cisgender females either so just go for a simple pantsuit that could possibly go for either sex. I think you should mention your activism and everything, if they ask you in the interview be honest. But if they are confused why you are not dressed in full female attire just say that you weren't sure how it would go over and you wanted to be professional and be judged for who you are as a person and your achievements and not how you identify.

Last edited:
I am very much an activist for the community and do not appreciate interviewers asking me questions geared toward my passion for the community or my gender identity.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying you don't want to be asked questions about your gender identity? If that's the case, and if, as you say, you don't easily pass as female, and if your co-workers and letter writers refer to you as male, then it seems the 'how to dress for interviews' question tips heavily toward 'gay male' at this point. (Post-closet and post-hormones, I'd probably dress 'androgynous female' - think Ellen.)

I also agree strongly with Shenellica's and Itsame's posts above, and also Kymah's at the top. You want to have a cohesive, consistent story that you are completely comfortable with -- a story you are comfortable telling and talking about. A 'sound bite' if you will, that you can explain to people to help them understand. You don't want to come off as confused, flip-flopping, defensive or deceitful, rather presenting a version of yourself that is true, though perhaps (your call) not one with FULL disclosure unless you are fully prepared for all of the questions and potential confusion that could follow.

The general rule is not to disclose things you are not comfortable talking about in interviews. Given your activities, personal history, and interests, it seems like disclosure and discussion would be better -- but if you're not ready to discuss, then perhaps don't disclose.

I'm also a little confused about wanting to be known as an activist for the community but not wanting to have a question asked. It would be like me talking about my church work and getting upset about a religion question. Antagonistic questions are unprofessional, curious questions about topics you bring up should be fair game.

I'm also a little confused about wanting to be known as an activist for the community but not wanting to have a question asked. It would be like me talking about my church work and getting upset about a religion question. Antagonistic questions are unprofessional, curious questions about topics you bring up should be fair game.

First off I really want to thank everyone for giving their 2 cents this has helped a lot. What I simply meant was I don't want them saying things like "you seem to be too focused in Trans issues that you would be unable to help cisgender straight patients" or something of that nature. I guess it simply could be a question to test me. I think if I present myself as balanced they won't ask those things or I'll have a good response for it ready. I don't mind them asking my passions I more was concerned about them prying into my gender identity and asking inappropriate questions. I really like the idea of presenting more androgynous and merely mention my Trans activism and passion for the community in my personal statement and then on secondaries that ask the diversity question I will be 100% honest that yes I am transgender and still coming out in the professional work place with some set backs due to fear (or should I not say that? Does that make me come off as weak?) and then at interviews I can present more androgynous with natural makeup and hair tied back and a pant suit or something and if they ask my preferred name or pronoun I will say I do actually prefer Daniella and use she pronouns. I also like the idea that if they question how I'm dressed androgynous I'll say I was not 100% sure how it would go over as I wanted to beprofessional and have them view me as a person for my achievements not by my gender identity. Very nice I do value that answer. It's 100% honest to the situation at hand. I just hope it doesn't show me looking weak or uncertain.

Akademics' posts (#6 and #10) in the LGBTQ Applicant thread were, I thought, wonderful about how he came to be on comfortable terms with himself, his sexual orientation and how he fit into this whole crazy world of LGBTQ, benevolent-but-clueless straights, haters, and the all-too-rare enlightened progressives. It's clear from his success story that the time and effort he put into his own journey were of tremendous value to him personally and professionally. I'm wondering if the same might be true in your case, particularly since trans discrimination issues are still much more pronounced than gay issues, and are really just now coming into the forefront of socio-political discussions.

I thought this article about the Janet Mock / Piers Morgan flap beautifully explained the basics of what the 'benevolent-but-clueless' need to know about trans issues. At least it did for me. After all, who in their rights minds would want to be defined by what's between their legs?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-were-afraid-to-ask/?wprss=rss_politics&clsrd

Reactions: 2 users
Daniella I'm not sure if you applied this round. If you did how did it go? If you didn't I would suggest wearing something professional and somewhat androgynous. You could say wear a woman's pants suit, and a natural look for makeup. Medicine is a conservative profession, but I think you'll be fine as long as you maintain a conservative professional look.

If you haven't applied yet you should look at Boston University. They are leading the way in finding the best way to teach Transgender Medicine so as to create knowledgable and willing transgender care providers. The curriculum focuses on the biological evidence for a rigid gender identity, and covers the whole cross-sex hormone therapy treatment and monitoring paradigm. It's something that the vast majority of medical schools barely begin to cover.

I wish you the best of luck, truly!