How to ask a professor to induct you at honor society?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LupaCupcake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might sound like a petty question, but here goes. I am in a couple honor societies already, but the induction ceremonies for those were never like this one. I have one coming up in a couple weeks and it is encouraged that we pick a professor to introduce and induct us. I am not entirely sure how to ask a professor "hey, will you go out of your way on a saturday afternoon to induct me at a formal ceremony".

I feel like I am asking them to give up their saturday and give special attention to me. I am not one to ask others to do me special favors like this.

I have 1 professor that hands down would be the perfect choice and I know he would do it, but he will be out of town during that time frame so I am not entirely sure which professor I want to ask at this point. One that I am considering is a very straight forward, no BS kind of woman that intimidates people.:laugh:

How would you go about this?

Members don't see this ad.

I have never been in this situation and, thus, feel free to take anything I say with a grain of salt; however, I feel the best way to go about this is to approach it similarly to asking for an LOR. Which, for me, involves first telling them what you want them to do, explaining why you feel they are qualified to do what you are asking, state appreciation for their time/presence and then give an out just in case they do not want to or do not feel comfortable inducting you. So, in other words, I would say something like:

"I have been accepted into X Honor Society. For the ceremony, it has been suggested to us that we find a professor to induct us. Due to/Because of/Because you/etc Reason X, Reason Y and Reason Z, I would love for you to/appreciate it if you/feel you would be the best professor to/would be honored if/etc you inducted me. Though I would be thankful if you did so, I completely understand if you cannot be there/do so/induct me/etc for whatever reason and appreciate your time either way."

That's just me, though, and, as I said, I could be completely off. :p