How to ask for strong letter of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TooMuchPressure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to do it? I been to the professors office hours a couple of times. I don't think he knows me too well but will recognize me if he saw me. Do I ask if he is willing to write me one and setup an appointment via email or in person? Should I wait till after grades are posted or before so he doesn't forget who I am?

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly don't think this professor can write you a strong letter if he doesn't know you well. It seems at best he can write a lukewarm letter confirming your satisfactory performance in his class. i recommend finding a different letter.

If you are desperate, email him to schedule an appointment and ask for the letter in person. But i suspect it won't be a good letter since it sounds like you had him for only one class

You ask the Professor "Professor X, do you know me well enough to write me a good LOR for my application to medical school?"

What's the best way to do it? I been to the professors office hours a couple of times. I don't think he knows me too well but will recognize me if he saw me. Do I ask if he is willing to write me one and setup an appointment via email or in person? Should I wait till after grades are posted or before so he doesn't forget who I am?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wait until grades are posted. Since you say he "doesn't know you very well," anything short of top marks and you probably won't want to get a letter from him.

In terms of asking, I would ask him in person. Show up at his office hours, mention your goals, and see if he'd be willing to write "a strong letter in support of your application." If the answer is anything but an emphatic yes, look for greener pastures. Be advised that he may ask you for a draft of your PS and/or your CV - ideally you should have those ready to go for him in the event he asks for them. I wouldn't necessarily bring them with you, but if he asks be able to send them to him via e-mail in a timely fashion.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry to bump this old thread, but do you think this would be okay to say?

"Hi Dr. X. Hey, I'm going to be applying to medical schools next year, and I am coming to you to ask a favor. I do remember, from one of the two classes I took with you, you mentioned that we shouldn't ask you to write a letter or rec for us unless we knew you outside of class; however, I wanted to know, do you think you know me well enough and would be comfortable with writing a strong letter of rec for my applications?
I understand if you don't think you know me well enough. I'd rather you say no now than to have you say yes and end up not being able to write as strong a letter because you don't have a good enough relationship with me. Thanks."

Sorry to bump this old thread, but do you think this would be okay to say?

"Hi Dr. X. Hey, I'm going to be applying to medical schools next year, and I am coming to you to ask a favor. I do remember, from one of the two classes I took with you, you mentioned that we shouldn't ask you to write a letter or rec for us unless we knew you outside of class; however, I wanted to know, do you think you know me well enough and would be comfortable with writing a strong letter of rec for my applications?
I understand if you don't think you know me well enough. I'd rather you say no now than to have you say yes and end up not being able to write as strong a letter because you don't have a good enough relationship with me. Thanks."
Are you asking this in person? Don't say the second part to him/her, and if they say yes, offer to provide more info (your PS, resume) or ask to set up an appointment to discuss your goals.

I just showed up to office hours every week asking about the class and how it related to medicine and then asked.

I am applying this coming cycle and will have a total of 7 LORs. Three from doctors, 3 from professors, and one from an old manager. 1/3 from professors was from a professor that I only talked with during office hours but I think it will still be a good letter.

I guess is what I'm trying to say is that one letter out of several is not going to make or break your application and sometimes it's more important to just get the letter and move on so you can apply. Most professor like to write letters for their students, especially if you keep in contact with them and let them know where you get in.

Are you asking this in person? Don't say the second part to him/her, and if they say yes, offer to provide more info (your PS, resume) or ask to set up an appointment to discuss your goals.

Would the second part be considered offensive? I feel like it makes me seem clear and serious?

I guess it sounds presumptuous

Last edited by a moderator:
I just showed up to office hours every week asking about the class and how it related to medicine and then asked.

I am applying this coming cycle and will have a total of 7 LORs. Three from doctors, 3 from professors, and one from an old manager. 1/3 from professors was from a professor that I only talked with during office hours but I think it will still be a good letter.

I guess is what I'm trying to say is that one letter out of several is not going to make or break your application and sometimes it's more important to just get the letter and move on so you can apply. Most professor like to write letters for their students, especially if you keep in contact with them and let them know where you get in.

These are most likely useless, unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 users
Would the second part be considered offensive? I feel like it makes me seem clear and serious?

I guess it sounds presumptuous
Not offensive, but it does make it sound like YOU don't think your professor knows you well enough right off the bat.

Use what Goro suggested! :)
You ask the Professor "Professor X, do you know me well enough to write me a good LOR for my application to medical school?"

Reactions: 1 user