How to ask to shadow a physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Platinum Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How to do that? I do not really know any doctors. The place where I volunteer at, there is one MD but he is a general practitioner. I sent an e-mail to a person telling who I am and so on, but never got a reply back. :(
Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Go to a doctor's office in person and ask politely if you can shadow. Even your own doctor might let you...

So I would have to make up some disease up and make an appointment? what if I want to be a Gynecologist and I am a guy?
Jsut kidding, Foxy. Thank you for the idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's easier to shadow someone at a teaching hospital, because they're already used to people following them around. However, if you aren't near one, just send lots of emails out to as many random people as you can. Explain that you are pre-med and are interested in learning more about the medical profession. Maybe mention a particular interest in that doctor's specialty. Tell who you are and ask if they might have some time when you could shadow for just a day, or even a couple of hours.

Worked for me... Good luck. Shadowing is a lot of fun! BTW, try to shadow a variety of doctors in a variety of fields. It's a good way to be exposed to many different things in medicine, before you even start med school. And if you have enough time, try shadowing several doctors of the same specialty, since there's going to be a wide range of things to do even within that one field.

How long would you typicall shadow a doctor for? A week? A month? A year?

I actually cold called a couple of DOs when I was fishing for a DO rec letter. Unorthodox maybe, but it worked great.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Raist:
•How long would you typicall shadow a doctor for? A week? A month? A year?•••••Your name looks like Racist, just so you know... :oops:

Anyway, I did a day with each person, but I'm sure if you really enjoyed the person you shadowed, you could do a month, several times a year, a year, whatever. It all depends on how much you want to do and how much your person is willing to let you do.

Thanks Incendiary, I'm actually not a racist, but yea, my name does look like racist. I heard that some adcoms want to see that you've shadowed a doctor on your list of activities just so you know what you're getting yourself into. I was just wondering how long they want you to shadow so that you can put it on your application.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Raist:
•Thanks Incendiary, I'm actually not a racist, but yea, my name does look like racist. I heard that some adcoms want to see that you've shadowed a doctor on your list of activities just so you know what you're getting yourself into. I was just wondering how long they want you to shadow so that you can put it on your application.•••••I don't think you MUST shadow a doctor. As long as you get clinical experience in some way, it's cool. I shadowed for only a summer, and I had a blast, though, so I'd recommend it just for your own personal gains.

The more the better, so as long as you do enough that you feel you have a decent idea of what to expect in the future, that should be fine. For me, it was a summer of shadowing and various other clinical activities like volunteering in a nursing home and a community health clinic. Just do some things to get a better sense of what you're going to be getting yourself into.

If you want more explicit recommendations, I'd say to do at least a semester or so of clinical activities. But keep in mind that there's no magic formula to any of this. Just do what you want, and that's all you should do. :)

I just find this doctor who does practice as well as research.
off course I want to shadow this guy, and I am writing an email.
Except I'm stuck. I already wrote half a page of why medicine without even telling him that I want to shadow him.
So what do I write:

"Dear Dr. Smith,

I read your very impressive curriculum vitae, and I was wondering if I could shadow you some days just to get a feel of what your day as a doctor looks like..."

or is that bad, too blunt, too random, HELP!:confused:

Except I'm stuck. I already wrote half a page of why medicine without even telling him that I want to shadow him.
So what do I write:

"Dear Dr. Smith,

I read your very impressive curriculum vitae, and I was wondering if I could shadow you some days just to get a feel of what your day as a doctor looks like..."

did u seriously just bump this thread

My letter:

Dear Doctor,

I am a __ year from ___ University. I am currently taking all of my prereqs for medical school to apply in ___. If you are volunteering at their hospital mention it here (this actually helped me A LOT!) I am very interested in learning more about _____ specialty. any additional stuff about why are you interested in said specialty. I would love the opportunity to shadow you in the future.

Thank you for your time,

Buffywannabe

NOW mass mail that to like 5 of each specialty you are interested in. Wait a few days to get responses and voila! you are shadowing. One thing I did that helped me find people was go on the local hospital website. Lots of them have tabs where you can search doctors by specialties. I tried not to choose the big wigs (chiefs) since they are probably too busy with other things.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
So what do I write:

"Dear Dr. Smith,

Hey, I am actually doing the same thing dude. All, you do is email them or call. You can do both just to get the ball rolling. Be courteous and let them know they are doing you a big favor and you appreciate their time and such. Just make yourself out to be a nice person that can be tolerated for a couple of days or a week. GL

Oh yah, and mass mailing is definitely the way to go. Most doctors hardly check their mail, so you want to get a good hold on the few that will allow you to shadow them. I think being aggressive (but, in a smart way) is always a good tactic with these things.

Members don't see this ad :)
My letter:

Dear Doctor,

I am a __ year from ___ University. I am currently taking all of my prereqs for medical school to apply in ___. If you are volunteering at their hospital mention it here (this actually helped me A LOT!) I am very interested in learning more about _____ specialty. any additional stuff about why are you interested in said specialty. I would love the opportunity to shadow you in the future.

Thank you for your time,

Buffywannabe

NOW mass mail that to like 5 of each specialty you are interested in. Wait a few days to get responses and voila! you are shadowing. One thing I did that helped me find people was go on the local hospital website. Lots of them have tabs where you can search doctors by specialties. I tried not to choose the big wigs (chiefs) since they are probably too busy with other things.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! That was very helpful.
Sorry for "bumping" I'm not even sure what that means... new here.

But this was very very helpful. Thank you so much

Hey, I am actually doing the same thing dude. All, you do is email them or call. You can do both just to get the ball rolling. Be courteous and let them know they are doing you a big favor and you appreciate their time and such. Just make yourself out to be a nice person that can be tolerated for a couple of days or a week. GL

Oh yah, and mass mailing is definitely the way to go. Most doctors hardly check their mail, so you want to get a good hold on the few that will allow you to shadow them. I think being aggressive (but, in a smart way) is always a good tactic with these things.

I was not sure about the calling, but I will do that as well. Yeah I think I should be a little more aggressive. Thanks again

The easiest thing might be to get in touch with some med students and ask if their volunteer teaching attendings who are in private practice are willing to allow pre-meds to come visit and shadow for a while. You'll get a nice experience from a dedicated teacher and maybe a decent letter of recommendation too.

Just as an FYI, make sure you start the process at least a few weeks before you actually want to get in and shadow. There's usually some paperwork that has to get processed, and as you may guess, this can take a while, although I'm sure it varies from hospital to hospital.

I was told to keep a journal with about a paragraph on the experience...sound advice or unnecessary?

I was told to keep a journal with about a paragraph on the experience...sound advice or unnecessary?
i carry a little notebook in my scrubs and write down the case I see and some stuff about the surgery

Not necessary (I don't do it), but go ahead if you want to... it certainly wouldn't hurt.

You could do it the Doogie Howser way.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1yUdCRt3_0[/YOUTUBE]

I am a Senior at Naperville North and I am planning to pursui my career in medical field. I am volunteering at local hospitals...But, does any body know that how can I shadow a physician in Chicago Land Area as a HighSchoolers? Help would be appreciated...

I was visiting my Grandfather at the hospital when his cardiologist came into speak with him. As he was leaving, I simply just asked him if I could shadow him and he said YES! I thought asking a Physician to shadow would be hard but it really wasn't. Since you volunteer there, just go the physician in person. DOctors find it very hard to say no if you are right there in front of them. It's always easy to ignore or say no to an email. Good luck :luck:

I was so nervous to ask about shadowing, but like the guy literally years ago suggested jokingly maybe, I was at my family care doctor ill and I asked him then! As he was writing in my file I asked "Do you allow shadowing here?" and I don't remember what he said and then I just asked "Because I was wondering if you would allow me to shadow you for a few days?"
It took guts but it was so worth it!
I shadowed for a week out of this summer and got 30 hours.
So glad I asked and had such a great opportunity!
I learned a ton.

Step 1: Use Google or if you're old fashioned, a phonebook to find doctors in your area

Step 2: Figure out a couple you would be interested in shadowing

Step 3: Call them. Here's a script-
*ring ring*
Secretary: "Thank you for calling Dr. X's office, can I help you?"
You: "Hi I'm a local college student/premed/whatever, I'm interested in shadowing Dr. X for a day or two."
Secretary: "OK, let me get your information and he/she will call you."

Step 4: Either they agree to have you shadow (what will probably happen) or they won't. If they refuse, call another doctor. If they don't call back for a few days, call again.

It's not rocket science. Most doctors are nice people and like having students around.

MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE: eat breakfast before you shadow. I've seen lots of shadowers pass out.

Reactions: 1 users
MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE: eat breakfast before you shadow. I've seen lots of shadowers pass out.

True story. I didn't actually pass out (thankfully) but got super light headed. You wouldn't think that shadowing would take that much out of you but it really does. Especially since you're standing most of the time. Wear comfortable shoes too. You'll beat yourself up afterwards if you have to leave early b/c you're hungry or your feet hurt.

Step 1: Use Google or if you're old fashioned, a phonebook to find doctors in your area

*ring ring*
You: "Hi I'm a local college student/premed/whatever, I'm interested in shadowing Dr. X for a day or two."

Step 4: Either they agree to have you shadow (what will probably happen) or they won't. If they refuse, call another doctor. If they don't call back for a few days, call again.

It's not rocket science. Most doctors are nice people and like having students around.

Is it a good idea to approach with this script live at a doctor's office because I was thinking maybe I might show up with my resume and give it to the receptionist/ front desk person? Perhaps the physician might be more comfortable instead of randomly saying okay to some random guy who called in. What do you think about that?

*ring ring*

This works great for outpatient docs, but what about surgeons?

I would try to arrange through the physician's office (if s/he has one), by maybe talking to the secretary and asking if the physician is open to shadowers and how to best go about doing it.

The way I arranged my shadowing, though, was through friends or family friends who knew the physician whom I wanted to shadow. They expressed my interest for me, and when I heard positive feedback, I contacted the physician myself.

I shadowed two surgeons (general, ortho) for a day each, and I shadowed a clinical physician (nephro) biweekly for about a year. I'd say the length of time depends on your schedule, the physician, as well as how interested you actually are in that specialty. I didn't go into it planning to shadow for a year - I had a month or so in mind - but the nephrologist enjoyed having me around and I loved the specialty.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

I would try to arrange through the physician's office (if s/he has one), by maybe talking to the secretary and asking if the physician is open to shadowers and how to best go about doing it.

The way I arranged my shadowing, though, was through friends or family friends who knew the physician whom I wanted to shadow. They expressed my interest for me, and when I heard positive feedback, I contacted the physician myself.

I shadowed two surgeons (general, ortho) for a day each, and I shadowed a clinical physician (nephro) biweekly for about a year. I'd say the length of time depends on your schedule, the physician, as well as how interested you actually are in that specialty. I didn't go into it planning to shadow for a year - I had a month or so in mind - but the nephrologist enjoyed having me around and I loved the specialty.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

And then what am I suppose to do when the secretary tells me, " due to patient privacy, we don't let students shadow." I was literally left for words lol. That's what I'm basically getting in outpatient clinics. And I bet at hospitals they will throw me the whole HIPPA crap .. What should I do then?

If at a loss, try asking primary care docs, particularly in smaller towns.
My dad is one and the first time someone asked to shadow him, he was really flattered and excited.
Plus, interesting perspective and opportunity to learn about community-based care.

And then what am I suppose to do when the secretary tells me, " due to patient privacy, we don't let students shadow." I was literally left for words lol. That's what I'm basically getting in outpatient clinics. And I bet at hospitals they will throw me the whole HIPPA crap .. What should I do then?

You keep trying until you find someone who says yes. I've contacted several dozen doctors and only two ever said that to me. None of the other doctors I contacted ever said that, they did make me sign a HIPAA form though. I've shadowed six different doctors, two of them were at hospitals (one was a teaching hospital and one was not) and the rest were private practice. The key is to not give up.

This works great for outpatient docs, but what about surgeons?

When I was a pre-med, I called one of my local hospitals volunteer office and set-up an appointment to discuss about the possibility of me observing some surgeries.

I filled out some things, did a ppd, etc. The next thing you know that set me up later that week to observe a few surgeries.

I tried asking some doctors but they said the patients will probably not want to see you. I am a nice guy and can talk to anyone so I am sure it wasn't the way I said it. Granted I only asked 2-3 doctors.

What can i say to that. For the people who shadowed, what exactly did you do? Did you go in the patients room and watch or just wait outside and just follow the doctor around and ask him questions time to time?

Thanks. I am having problems with this...

It's all about networking. I was a film boy in radiology and one of the radiologists always like me. He asked me what I was doing with my life one day and I said I wanted to be like him. I then asked him that I wanted to shadow a doc and he arranged to have me shadow the director of family practice. As easy as pie.

my son just did his first shadowing last Wednesday... he is a senior in high school and will be going to Tulane this fall... 4 hours in the morning.... 3 surgery's ...i breast implant, i breast reduction and a face lift...he said it was awesome... he had all the garb on and stood directly by the side of the surgeon who was explaining things every step of the way...the nurses were telling him things as well...my son hopes to shadow this group of doctors 2 or 3 days a week throughout the summer. he also hopes to work a day in the lab each week. he will look for research opportunities in NO with the help of Tulane professors after he begins college.

I tried asking some doctors but they said the patients will probably not want to see you. I am a nice guy and can talk to anyone so I am sure it wasn't the way I said it. Granted I only asked 2-3 doctors.

What can i say to that. For the people who shadowed, what exactly did you do? Did you go in the patients room and watch or just wait outside and just follow the doctor around and ask him questions time to time?

Thanks. I am having problems with this...

I am having the same problem, I guess Ill just have to keep trying, I am from east coast not sure if the doctors here are different, they all worried about the HIPPA thing!

Wow did this 9 year old thread really get bumped 5 times?

LOL I was just about to say that. :laugh: I really don't understand why this thread has been bumped THAT many times.
So, wait. Forum posters belittle people when they "don't" use the search function and post something that has been answered a dozen times before and they also belittle people when they "do" use the search function and bump a post so they don't make a hundredth post on the same subject?

Jesus, no wonder new posters get intimidated around here.

So, wait. Forum posters belittle people when they "don't" use the search function and post something that has been answered a dozen times before and they also belittle people when they "do" use the search function and bump a post so they don't make a hundredth post on the same subject?

Searching is for finding the answer. If you have a follow-up question that wasn't addressed in any of the threads you find, then you should make a new thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=822718

It's not that complicated, really.

I guess my real point is this: for the most part, this topic is still as relevant today as it was 9 years ago. People who have bumped it have generally lead to further discussion on the topic and added useful insights. So why are we spending as many posts berating the bumper as actually discussing an important topic?

Meh, whatevs. Schadenfreude rears its ugly head everywhere, I suppose.

I guess my real point is this: for the most part, this topic is still as relevant today as it was 9 years ago. People who have bumped it have generally lead to further discussion on the topic and added useful insights. So why are we spending as many posts berating the bumper as actually discussing an important topic?

Meh, whatevs. Schadenfreude rears its ugly head everywhere, I suppose.

Chill out, dude. I was making an observation. I just think a lot of people do this without realizing that the thread is so old. So most likely the people who bump don't even read the thread.

Guys, stop commenting. Seriously. We have to give this thread at least another 3 years to cool down so we can bump it again.