How to attack Histology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownie44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before school starts, I want to have a bit of a game plan on how to organize my notes for Histology. I know the course will have a lab and lecture component.

What apps (i.e. iannotate) or electronics (i.e. ipad+stylus) did you use to compile notes from lecture and slides labelled during lab? Did you find it time-consuming to label slides during lab? was it easier to screenshot slides and label after class?

Simply, what was your approach to organizing information in Histo?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This was my organizational procedure and strategy to tackle histology:
1. Opened the course note pack.
2. Read every word on the page.
3. Looked at every image on the page.
4. Flip the page.
5. Repeat 2-4

Reactions: 3 users
1-see images
2- read descriptions
3-????
4-profit

Reactions: 1 users
The UVA Histo website is an excellent free resource that has more images than you'll ever want to see.

The accompanying text explanations are helpful as well. Combining my course material, that site, and BRS cell bio was a very successful formula for me. Id read the text/ppts and then look over the UVA images and that really aided in solidifying things.

Reactions: 1 users
Google "blue histology" too. It's an older website maintained by an Australian School. I don't think it has been updated in a little while, but they have some helpful multiple choice and short answer quizzes that can be modified by body system.

Reactions: 1 user
I made Anki cards of the images we were provided. Helped a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Google "shotgun histology". You won't regret it!

Reactions: 1 user
Figured I would post in this fairly recent thread than start my own..I'm looking at review books for Histo/Cell Bio and not sure which one(s) I should get. Does anyone have any experience with:

HY Cell & Molecular
HY Histology
Rapid Review Histology and Cell Biology
BRS Cell Biology and Histology

Thanks

Figured I would post in this fairly recent thread than start my own..I'm looking at review books for Histo/Cell Bio and not sure which one(s) I should get. Does anyone have any experience with:

HY Cell & Molecular
HY Histology
Rapid Review Histology and Cell Biology
BRS Cell Biology and Histology

Thanks
Depends if this is for a course grade or for boards.

Depends if this is for a course grade or for boards.

It will be mainly for the course, it appears my school does shelf exams. My main resource will of course by my lecture notes/required resources, I am just trying to find a concise resource to help along with the course that I can also familiarize myself with in case I need to look back during step 1 review.

It will be mainly for the course, it appears my school does shelf exams. My main resource will of course by my lecture notes/required resources, I am just trying to find a concise resource to help along with the course that I can also familiarize myself with in case I need to look back during step 1 review.
Well if your school makes you take the NBME preclinical shelfs - then High Yield might not be enough, probably BRS and a Pretest book. You might want to go to the NBME website and see their sample questions for each test to get an idea.

Yes! I like this site a lot, the lab exercises are really well written and clear at explaining things. I sent this out to the students when I was instructing histology lab too.

I really like this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Histology-Functional-Clinical-Correlations/dp/0781797594

It's short and concise, and it has good images. One especially nice thing about the images is that they are annotated with the text name of what they are showing (not weird acronyms or "black arrow head, white arrow, dotted arrow, etc"). To me that was a huge thing and aided readability immensely.

Before school starts, I want to have a bit of a game plan on how to organize my notes for Histology. I know the course will have a lab and lecture component.

What apps (i.e. iannotate) or electronics (i.e. ipad+stylus) did you use to compile notes from lecture and slides labelled during lab? Did you find it time-consuming to label slides during lab? was it easier to screenshot slides and label after class?

Normally what i did was, i would bring in my SLR and take a pic of the histo slide through the microscope.. then i would upload all the files to iCloud, i would then re-download the files from iCloud onto my iPad, and simultaneously put the same picture on a clear sheet so i could place it on an overhead projector. i would project the wall with cells from all over the body, i would then throw darts at the wall and wherever the dart landed on the wall i would have to name that cell and its functions. And on the iPad i would write notes on the downloaded picture.

Darn...I wish I found this thread before I finished my last histo lab... :laugh:

To be honest, I pretty much took a hit on histology for most of my courses for M1. It was never taught that well, and it all just looked like a purple abstract painting, so I just skimmed it over and guessed on the exams, as it was never a big part of our grade.

BUT, when I did need to cram it before an exam, I felt like Anki was great. If you can log all the images into Anki, it gives you a simple way to see an image and try to answer what it is showing. More importantly, it was fast, so I could get a lot of repetitions in for memorizing specific images.

Really, I think repetition can developing familiarity is a big help. Try to see common patterns or structures or shapes, so you can recognize them easily.