How to be a better applicant ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moftern

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! Any advice on what I can do to be a better candidate?
I transferred schools after my freshmen year to a pretty much academically equal university (Wasn't happy at my 1st school and absolutely love my new school). I just finished up my sophomore year, but I plan on taking a gap year and applying after graduating in Spring '16. I would love to do some volunteer projects abroad, during my gap year, however, I think the most realistic option is stay home and work/volunteer/shadow.

Biology major and biochemistry minor
My cumulative GPA from both schools is 3.64 and science is 3.40 (Need to bring these both up)
Began undergraduate cancer research in the fall and will continue for the next two years and will publish a senior thesis
Hospital volunteer for the past 3 years- ER, NICU, PEDS, and surgery
Volunteer at therapeutic horseback riding camp for children with disabilities (just started)
Work in the dining department of a nursing home for past 3 years- led to a promotion with leadership
On the executive board of the pre-med club at school
Involved in Tri-Beta (Biological Honors Society), another pre-health club, and the yoga club (have practiced ~2 years).
Have shadowed physicians in Urgent Care, OR, and ER (~40 hours right now, have more shadowing lined up).

I haven't taken the MCAT's yet, however, assuming I do around 30ish, does anyone have advice on what areas I'm lacking/need improvement? I don't have any specific schools in mind (I'm interested in both DO and MD), I just wanted to get some feedback on my chances in general.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: