how to be a competitive fellowship applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue Penguin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering fellowships in addiction, child and adolescent, or forensics. Before I start residency and start messing things up, what can I do to make myself a better applicant for these fellowships? How soon should I start looking for research opportunities, etc? How can I decide which to pursue early enough to make myself more competitive?

I know getting one somewhere won't be too hard, but I want to live in Nashville, New York, Boston, Denver, Seattle, or California. Just like everyone else. Maybe I'll change my mind, but at this point, I'd like to do what I can to keep my options open. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to give yourself a leg up for fellowship at this point for you is to focus on being as good a resident as you can. Your recommendations (particularly from your PD) go a long way in kicking open fellowship doors.

Be the resident folks like to work with. Be accountable, work hard, do the readings, have an open mind, share knowledge, be a good shoulder when your residents need you, reach out to others in time of need, be respectful of nurses and ancillary staff, be compassionate with patients, be fun to be around, and follow the Serenity Prayer when it comes to residency challenges (residents tend to struggle more with the wisdom and serenity arms).

No real secret sauce. Just be a good resident and you will get more opportunities to co-author, junior attend, and all sorts of good stuff that will help you hone when you get more exposure and have a better idea when you want to land.

Reactions: 4 users
notdeadyet's reply is spot on. One thing I would add: if you have an interest in academics consider, some time in second year, finding a project related to your field. Complete this project with a mentor in your subspecialty of interest. You don't have to go nuts with it, it could be something like a review paper, a case report, taking a part in a larger study, etc. That will get you a publication and contacts within your subspecialty field (child, forensics or addiction) who can recommend you for fellowships. Both of those things will help your application to more competitive programs.

That said, the above is optional. If you are an excellent resident clinically that is really what most fellowships are after.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For forensics - excellent forensic psychiatrists are excellent clinical psychiatrists. So they want to see strong letters of recommendation highlighting your clinical skills. Strong writing skills are a must and most every program will have you submit writing samples - either forensic reports, an admission note or intake, or scholarly papers are evidence of your writing skills. Showing an interest in the field of forensic psychiatry is obviously a good idea. However, it is not necessary to have done forensic rotations (and probably not a good idea to do many if you are gonna do the fellowship anyway). I didn't do any clinical forensic rotations, was quite anxious about this, but to my surprise was quite highly sought after and it never really came up. I did however have other forensic related activities on my CV that showed an interest in and commitment to the field. I did receive comments about my publications and presentations - this shows you are putting in extra effort, having writing/presentation skills, and have some self-discipline and ambition - and thus will be looked upon favorably.

No one cares about USMLE scores at this juncture. Only one program I applied to asked for PRITE scores (which have been phased out this year). However it doesn't hurt to mention it if you scored consistently in the 99th percentile. Winning awards can be looked upon favorably. In forensics, the Rappeport Fellowship is THE award for residents. the American Academy of Forensic Sciences also has an award for residents I believe. The APA has a number of fellowship programs (public psychiatry, child, leadership, SAMHSA Minority/Diversity Leadership) which provide some training in leadership/advocacy and get you assigned to a council. It would be extremely favorable to your application to serve on the Council on Psychiatry and Law of the APA. Some forensic fellowships are keen on producing the next leaders in the field (and forensic psychiatrists often assume leadership and/or administrative positions) so it certainly wouldn't hurt to do things such as be the RFM representative for the state psychiatric association, or a representative for the state medical association, or serve as APA resident rep to the AMA, or on the RRC for the ACGME etc.

But as said above - by far the most important factor is performing well in residency (not so much what you know, but demonstrating you're a team player, have a professional work ethic, are dedicated to your patients, teachable and capable of teaching others, able to reflect on your strengths and weaknesses, open to feedback and constructive criticism, and constantly striving to improve). You don't want to be taking on additional responsibilities if you can't cope with the basic responsibilities of residency training. Also, if you have no interest in availing yourself of other scholarly opportunities, it would be entirely miserable, and I certainly wouldn't recommend doing these things simply for the purpose of applying for fellowship. I however found that the "additional" stuff was really the highlight of my residency training experiences even though it meant a lot of additional work.

Many forensic programs, particularly on the west coast fill by early summer. I applied beginning of April of my 3rd year and the west coast programs were all accepting applications already - this is not true for the East Coast. The forensic psychiatrist at my program told me I should apply in July. If I had listened, I would not have got the fellowship I wanted. This means if you wanted to go to Harvard or NYU for example (just picking random NE fellowships), you would effectively have to forgo applying on the West Coast. You may consider doing a forensic elective at the program you are interested in your 3rd year so you can get a better sense of the program and you will likely interview there and then and they will offer you the position.

But it's usually not too difficult to find something. As Phil Resnick told me "we get about 50 applications, and the ones that can speak English and write in English are invited for interview". The bar is low.

I will also mention forensic psychiatrists can be quite formidable, intimidating creatures. But if you rub some catnip on yourself, you realize they're püssy cats.

Reactions: 2 users
Just another FYI: Unless you want to do C&A or Forensics, a clinical fellowship is completely unnecessary, meaning those are the only two specialties that absolutely require extra clinical training beyond what is offered in a standard psychiatry residency. For addiction, gero, psychosomatics, neuropsychiatry, etc, there is not that much more to learn that can't be learned with elective time in a general psychiatry residency. Certain addiction medicine fellowships offer training beyond the scope of a normal psychiatry residency, but the nature and quality (Splik inspired reference) of the fellowships vary entirely, and most psychiatrists could just read the ASAM book and take the exam without doing the fellowship (though this might change now that it's going to be an ABMS subspecialty). In most cases, however, 1-2 year clinical fellowship will just leave you with an extra board exam to take and more dues to pay WITHOUT a significant increase in compensation, career opportunities, etc. And moving to whatever city to do fellowship training does not guarantee finding a job, especially if it's a popular city with a saturated market.

If you want to stay in academia, you need mentorship, and you would do well to do a research fellowship (T32, etc) with a big name in the field (also no guarantee for a faculty position at MGH or Duke or UCSF or whatever).

Bottom line: Your main task in residency is to be a good resident (repeating what has been said because medical students/new interns need to have their egos shattered): go to work, take care of your patients, read read read, DON'T SLACK ON OFF SERVICE ROTATIONS, learn how to work in a broken healthcare system with lots of egos, find an appropriate venue for dealing with frustrations (gym, yoga, whatever), and most importantly, have fun!

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to stay in academia, you need mentorship, and you would do well to do a research fellowship (T32, etc) with a big name in the field (also no guarantee for a faculty position at MGH or Duke or UCSF or whatever).

What's the competition for these in top places? How does it go for IMGs?

Thank you, everyone for your responses. I wasn't sure if it was possible to do away rotations as a resident. It's good to know that that is an option. For the first few months of residency, I suppose it's best to just focus on getting my bearings and doing a good job as you've all described.

Thank you, everyone for your responses. I wasn't sure if it was possible to do away rotations as a resident. It's good to know that that is an option. .
well it depends on whether your residency program will pay for you to do s0, particularly as a PGY-3. the smaller ones tend not to.

well it depends on whether your residency program will pay for you to do s0, particularly as a PGY-3. the smaller ones tend not to.

What counts as a smaller program? Is that more dependent on the number of residents, the number of faculty, or the size of the university/hospital system?

The PRITE is being phased out? I remember some pretty strange questions on the test.

The PRITE is being phased out? I remember some pretty strange questions on the test.

I don't believe so. It's easier to have a poorly written question in which to base your "knowledge" upon.

I'd rather see RRC(?) develop a plan where under the new training standards are based on competencies, to merge this with the obligation that you complete and pass 3 interviews by faculty. What this would look like is you have to conduct 1 or 2 interviews each year and pass them which would demonstrate competency as well as continue with the current BC process where oral boards have been eliminated. Perhaps they'll get rid of the stupid video vignettes on the exams while they're at it.