How to be competitive for Pain Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donaldduck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just matched into anesthesia and will be starting my clinical base year in July and I am interested in perusing pain fellowship after residency and I was just wondering what I need to do during residency in order to be a competitive applicant for pain fellowships.

Members don't see this ad.

Current CA-2 applying to pain. Do well on your ITEs, kick ass on your pain rotation (stand out by writing good notes, taking thorough h&ps, and being efficient), try to do some research in pain if you can. Get good letters of rec (meaning you better be good in the or too).

Coming from a neurology background. For the sake of anonymity, got between a 75-83%tile on my in service score. Is this competitive for pain? Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very skeptical that good in-service scores are that vital. First, the majority of programs don't want them. But even the ones that do, I'd be surprised if a good in-service score trumps strong research and LORs.

Hey all,

I just matched into anesthesia and will be starting my clinical base year in July and I am interested in perusing pain fellowship after residency and I was just wondering what I need to do during residency in order to be a competitive applicant for pain fellowships.

Match a program with it's own good pain fellowship, or one that regularly sends residents to top programs.

It's going to be hard to make a name for yourself in pain as an anesthesia resident, but naturally if you can do some pain research that will probably help. Good letters are, of course, important. Interviewers are people too. It will help your case if you present well at the interview such that they want to hang out with you for a year.

I'm thinking because they receive so many apps, In service are probably used as cutoff. I was just hoping mine would qualify for that

Steve what about VIR lap time?

There is some data that accuracy with dart throwing... oh nevermind.

There is some data that accuracy with dart throwing... oh nevermind.
they are thinking about adding beer pong, quarters, and flip cup for the next interview season...

any suggestions?

My stats:

Height: 5'2"
Weight: 280
Looks: uglier version of Ron Jeremy
40 yd dash: 12.2 seconds
bench reps @ 45 lbs: ×2
Vertical: 8 inches
broad jump: 2'3"
Usmle: failed x 8
in service exam: <5th %
Appropriate butt kissing skill level: MASTER

Thank goodness I got in before this BS match.

As a fellow now, the ITE scores don't really manner for your application. I didn't even send my CA2 scores and only 1 program asked for them out of the 12 I interviewed at. Letters of recommendations from people that the faculty at the program knows as well as academic projects matter way more than scores. At this point, everyone can take a test well to a certain extent.