How to become a pharmacist technician in Chicago, Illinois?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PearHue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to these forums and I do not live in Illinois so please go easy on me as I don't understand the process. I'm currently in Washington, but moving to Chicago in a few months. I know the process here in Washington, which is you either go to school for a year to get certified, or you can get certified as a pharmacist assistant and work with the pharmacy where they will train you for 6 months to become a technician. I was wondering if that's the same for Illinos?

What are my options? Would I be able to study on my own with books that are designed to teach you everything to become a pharmacist technician and then sign up to take PTCE? Or do I have to take a year long class to become one? Thank you.

I am also posting this because the other posts I have seen are old and a lot of people have said that Illinois has recently changed their laws regarding this subject, so i'm a little confused on the process and the current laws.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Illinois changed its tech laws in 2008. In short, I believe, you can work as an uncertified tech for 2 years. Then you have to be certified. The website has all the information. You do not have to take any formal courses to be certified. You just need to pass the exam.
http://www.idfpr.com/profs/pharm.asp

My question is why do you want to move to Illinois. The state is in serious trouble. You have to hope the licensing boards won't close due to lack of money. Sales tax in Chicago is 10.25%. You will have to pay a special tax of 9% if you subscribe to any streaming or cloud services. Chicago has also just increased its property tax to pay for pensions. The city is bankrupt and the state has more or less said you are on your own to clean it up. Illinois has a flat income tax of 3.75% which will probably be increased. Illinois lost the most population of any state in the past year.

It is possible to study on your own for the PTCB, I have know a few techs who got their PTCB on their without any tech experience. There is NO need to pay for the year long college classes, these are way overpriced, considering that every employer will train you for free, to pass your PTCB. Best best, get a technician job, and your employer will provide books/classes for you and almost always pay for you to take the test--the is the path probably 95% of technicians go. 2nd option, if you aren't easily getting a job, buy the PTCB study manuals from ASHP and study on your own for the test. But considering you already have experience, I think you will be able to get a job without too much difficulty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chicago, Illinois. Where the government taxes "fun". Literally.
the entertainment tax lol You also have to pay that tax on professional sports, theater, and other related things.

They can't even pay their lottery winners. Indiana lottery has been advertising in Chicago to come over because they can pay.