How to become a Unregistered Dental Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bpatel11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a sophomore pre-dental student in college in New Jersey, I'd like to know how to work (paid) as a unregistered dental assistant part time? What is the procedure for this? This will help me gain experience in the dental field before dental school.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pediatric dentists always take people off the street but they don't pay much at all. Bring your resume by in person and try to get a few minutes with the dentist. I would also type a little cover letter explaining your situation.

I observed at a pediatric dental office for about 60 hours (spread over a few months) and the dentist eventually offered me a part time assistant position there. I declined because I'm a non-trad and I needed to make more $ but if I were younger I would have gotten the experience for sure. Good luck!

That's to become a registered dental assistant and requires 2 years of experience. I'm looking to work as an unregistered dental assistant for the next two years before going to dental school. Is there a separate procedure that you or anyone else may be gone through? Thank you!

Scroll down about half way on the linked page.

I put the word out to any dentist I met that I was interested in becoming a DA. Eventually one knew of another dentist who was looking, and introduced me. Might not be the quickest way to find a job but it worked for me.