How To Buff My Application for MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MicrobioBro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I'm new to this site, but looking forward to getting to know everyone!

I've recently become interested in MD/PhD program, specifically in clinical microbiology. I'll be taking a gap year, so this is where I will be at in terms of stats by the time I will be applying (assuming my GPA stays fairly constant over the next year) -

University - UChicago
Major(s) - Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry (though likely dropping biochem)
GPA - cGPA 3.93/4.00 sGPA 4.00/4.00
MCAT - I actually haven't taken yet, but I'm averaging a 511 on the new MCAT on the practice exams, hoping to buff this up a bit by the time I take the test.
Research - 2.5 years (300 hours +), independent research, a published paper, and an honors thesis, 3 summers spent doing full time research through a fellowship program
Volunteering - 1.5 years at a south side children's hospital (150+ hours)
Teaching - TAing biology and chemistry courses for 3 years
Other - Leadership as part of a dance group on campus and fraternity
Awards - Deans List, Phi Betta Kappa, various fellowships

I think that's a decent picture of my application as where it stands right now. My concern is that I don't have a ton of shadowing experience. I've shadowed a couple of doctors, probably for a total of 10+ hours, but I'm unsure if this is anywhere close to enough.

Truthfully, I'm interested in a lot of the top programs, i.e. Harvard/MIT, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Brown. For this to happen, I know I need a near perfect application. I know there are a lot of variable factors like recs and interviews that play a huge part, but in terms of stats, what else can I add to bump myself up even more so I'm most prepared for these kinds of programs?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
haha, yeah, I recognize it's not exactly on the same caliber as the other programs, but I still like the program...there's some cool research that goes on there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your research and GPA definitely seem on point. I think that the clinical aspect could be the one point of improvement. What exactly did you do when volunteering at the hospital? If you were working in the gift shop versus getting your hands dirty with changing beds/interacting with patients etc. then you should focus on this point especially. From this overview I don't think they would doubt that you would make it through the PhD part of the degree but rather that you would continue with the MD once the PhD is done.

Thanks! In the hospital, I work with the children. My main job is to play with the children and read to them and keep them happy, but I also help nurses out with some things and am in general part of the hospital. I will definitely try to focus a bit more on adding to the MD side of things.