How to cope with feeling depressed @ dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

997GT3

There is no substitute.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say your heart is broken or your significant other cheated on you and you have several exams within several days, and more exams a couple days after, and so on. How do you deal with it so that you can study effectively and do well?

Members don't see this ad.

Say your heart is broken or your significant other cheated on you and you have several exams within several days, and more exams a couple days after, and so on. How do you deal with it so that you can study effectively and do well?

Refocus and remember why you are there and what your real priorities are. The best way to get back at someone who betrayed you is to do well and show him or her that you do not need them. If you are single currently, better that the betrayal is revealed before you get married.

Members don't see this ad :)
Refocus and remember why you are there and what your real priorities are. The best way to get back at someone who betrayed you is to do well and show him or her that you do not need them. If you are single currently, better that the betrayal is revealed before you get married.

Very sound advice.

Like said before...you kill your exams...and let them know ur still the man without her. WHen you graduate and accomplish so much....you'll be just fine. Then go find a girl that looks better than her..just get a trophy wife..and cruise her around in your convertible...lol.

Hmmm...tricyclic antidepressants?

i know a guy who had a bout with depression during the semester...he took anti-depressants and said they have so many side effects...he felt drowsy all day..that isn't going to help come time for exams

just try to suck it up...talk with friends....try to get un-depressed without medications...get out, get your sleep, do things that you enjoy, stuff like that :thumbup:

You slash her car tires and throw a bag of burning dog poo in a paper bag in front of her door. Then go to a strip club, get drunk, spit on a baby, then go to sleep. Wake up the next day and take your exams. HELL YEAH!

keep really busy! don't give yourself time to think/sulk. you know you have to keep going no matter what so put it on the back burner till you're done. if someone does this to you right before exams anyway, they're not worth the tears. and don't feel sorry for yourself cause you thought you had something different in front of you. be grateful for the memories and moments you had, and know that things will get better. what's meant for you will come to you, all you can do is hope that this happens sooner rather than later. but you should also definitely take the time to heal before jumping into something new. you will feel amazing again. take care!

You slash her car tires and throw a bag of burning dog poo in a paper bag in front of her door. Then go to a strip club, get drunk, spit on a baby, then go to sleep. Wake up the next day and take your exams. HELL YEAH!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Not sound advice, but IMO often effective:)

I like this part the best. Very cathartic :D

I am not sure you can make a diagnosis of major depression under these circumstances. Depressed or sad mood is probably normal from what you described. Antidepressants are not your answer aside from the many side effects. Do all the non medicinal things mentioned. If you have not already, start exercising to distract yourself, get yourself in better shape, get some fresh air, etc. Increase your spirituality...e.g. if you are a Christian, pray and read scripture.

I think you should move on. You're happy with her, but she can't make you happy. It has to be 50-50 in a relationship.

That was me, 8 months ago.
Solution?
It's either you mope around, and have to repeat, or get your act to gether and study.

You dont want to have to be repeating these exams, or fing up your GPA.
Study, and then AFTER you ace the exams, sleep with her sister, or mother.

Members don't see this ad :)

I only have one word of advice that will surely help. It is MARJUANA.

I only have one word of advice that will surely help. It is MARJUANA.

so you can end up like this guy and spell "MARIJUANA" wrong.

cmon man, every stoner knows how to spell Marijuana.

BUT SERIOUSLY,

The above advice was perfect: If you move on fast, it will help you in the long run.

Just an FYI as someone going through the process of getting disability insurance. Do not go to the doctor for depression/mental issues unless absolutly necessary. Also, keep that shoulder, arm, back, neck, leg, pain quiet as well. Come to think about it, just dont visit an MD until after you get your insurance. :laugh:

so you can end up like this guy and spell "MARIJUANA" wrong.

cmon man, every stoner knows how to spell Marijuana.

BUT SERIOUSLY,

The above advice was perfect: If you move on fast, it will help you in the long run.

I no how two spellded you fool. I am smoking marijahwana nowz and me spelling is not thes greatests.

I no how two spellded you fool. I am smoking marijahwana nowz and me spelling is not thes greatests.

I love this guy!

With respect to the thread, dude, if its a girlfriend, not a wife, no children involved, she has not run up 40k on your credit cards, no big deal. Worry about getting through school, making some nice cash when you get out, and just go ahead and sleep with your hygienist. :D:thumbup::thumbup:

Take that 997 GT3 for a ride...that will surely take away your depression.

With respect to the thread, dude, if its a girlfriend, not a wife, no children involved, she has not run up 40k on your credit cards, no big deal. Worry about getting through school, making some nice cash when you get out, and just go ahead and sleep with your hygienist. :D:thumbup::thumbup:

What if...it's a boyfriend?

That was me, 8 months ago.
Solution?
It's either you mope around, and have to repeat, or get your act to gether and study.

You dont want to have to be repeating these exams, or fing up your GPA.
Study, and then AFTER you ace the exams, sleep with her sister and her mother. At the same time.

Fixed.

When I was a kid my dog got hit by a car, I was totally sad for two days until my parents got me another dog.

This story is totally irrelevant, or is it?

I wouldn't even bother being sad. Find another boy friend or girl friend and move on. Have fun and ace the exams are your best bet.
Don't be too emotional attached to anything is the key to success in d-school

"moving on" is way easier said than done, and it may be really hard, and it may completely devastate you, but what you have to think about now is the exams, so tell yourself "i will let myself cry/mourn/be depressed later, but right now i absolutley have no time for that and need to focus on this" because you cant postpone your studies but you CAN try to put away all sad thoughts for now. Afterwards, if you still feel like it, you can allow yourself to grieve.

The best way to get over someone is to get under someone else.

"moving on" is way easier said than done, and it may be really hard, and it may completely devastate you, but what you have to think about now is the exams, so tell yourself "i will let myself cry/mourn/be depressed later, but right now i absolutley have no time for that and need to focus on this" because you cant postpone your studies but you CAN try to put away all sad thoughts for now. Afterwards, if you still feel like it, you can allow yourself to grieve.

Does no body agree sleeping with her family will help?
:idea:

All jokes aside, Get off SDN and go study.

tell her no hard feelings and offer her free dental treatment! then when she comes in giver her nitrous, and extract her central incisors! root canal her laterals and do a few class II's on her molars just for practice! after wards turn the class II's into crowns and then send her on her way and charge her insurance!

Watch the "Dentist" so you know what to do with her.

nevermind...

I can totally relate. I've had tons of not-so-good things happen to me in my personal life...pretty much everything that could go wrong has gone wrong with the exception of death of close friends and family...during dental school. I've had a couple of breakups...one of which left me hardly sleeping or eating for two weeks, my dog died, I've moved about 5 times in two years, and I've had periods of religious faith and questioning and abandoning that took up a lot of my mental time and energy. I haven't failed any classes (we're pass/fail) and have scored near the top of my class in several classes despite the setbacks. I think that I probably would have done better in school had I not had all of this stuff going on, but I think had it not been for school, I would've had the time to fall into a deep depression. Instead, I used exam weeks to step outside of the drama of my personal life. If it weren't for the stress and sleep deprivation of finals, I'd probably almost like them because it gives me something better to think about. I think I got through it by giving myself a lot of me time during non-exam times to grieve or obscess over personal affairs and get exercise and then put my nose deep in the books and pushed the other thoughts aside when tests came up.

Good luck to all, especially those who have had personal struggles during school. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or need to vent.

I can totally relate. I've had tons of not-so-good things happen to me in my personal life...pretty much everything that could go wrong has gone wrong with the exception of death of close friends and family...during dental school. I've had a couple of breakups...one of which left me hardly sleeping or eating for two weeks, my dog died, I've moved about 5 times in two years, and I've had periods of religious faith and questioning and abandoning that took up a lot of my mental time and energy. I haven't failed any classes (we're pass/fail) and have scored near the top of my class in several classes despite the setbacks. I think that I probably would have done better in school had I not had all of this stuff going on, but I think had it not been for school, I would've had the time to fall into a deep depression. Instead, I used exam weeks to step outside of the drama of my personal life. If it weren't for the stress and sleep deprivation of finals, I'd probably almost like them because it gives me something better to think about. I think I got through it by giving myself a lot of me time during non-exam times to grieve or obscess over personal affairs and get exercise and then put my nose deep in the books and pushed the other thoughts aside when tests came up.

Good luck to all, especially those who have had personal struggles during school. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or need to vent.

I understand although I haven't started dental school yet, I know **** =happens and you have to deal with it. My father died when I was taking orgo/molecular/calc2 and physicI + nonSci, my second son was born the next semester when I was taking cell/orgoII/physicsII/stats. I was on an emotional roller coaster....you have to prioritize things. The very next semester my mother-inlaw died mid semester. When I applied and I was looking over my transcripts I noticed a pattern, when everything was going wrong or my children were born, I did the very best. When things were going right I slackd(a little) and didn't score as well. Life doesn't stop cause your in dental school. I know I might sound a little preachy but, think about it its only a girlfriend/boyfriend, when you break up thats it. No lawyers or children involved; its kind of easy and really doesn't warrant screwing up a semester. I remember being upset about girlfriends, but never to the point where I was clinically depressed(this could because I am selfcenterd).