How to deal with health problems and medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunneria

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know its a bit personal but I'm definitely seeking in advice from people who have endured health problems during medical school. In my case, the medical issue has been chronic tension headaches and insomnia in which I have had to endure with. They've gotten so worse and debilitatting on my quality of life from schoolwork, social relationships, depression, but more importantly, my health. I don't even go to class anymore and its tough at times just to get through a day. Almost frequently, I've constantly asked myself to take a leave of medical absence but for some reason I just have this will to tough it out considering I'm passing by in medical school and I am anxiously awaiting summer break. The meds prescribed by my physician only help so much but I think anyone with migraines can tell you that the stress and anxiety and lack of sleep are factors that only exacerbate the condition.

Has anyone been under a similar scenario, perhaps not necessarily, the same medical condition, but with all the other factors. I think my problem partially stems from a depression, stressed-out, I want to drop out scenario that many students feel, but the migraines and insomnia are something unique that only makes me feel anguished and at pain sometimes that it's sometimes difficult getting through the day.

Members don't see this ad.

I have quite a few health problems. I'm among top of my class right now. It's frustrating, I know. Nobody knows what you have to go through everyday toughing it out. Honestly the motto you have to keep telling yourself is strength through weakness. A lot of people fall apart from this kind of stuff, but some people can just take it in and find a way. Just find a way. If you need outside help or if you're overwhelmed then do what you must do in the end.

I think something that's helped with any issue is exercise. Find time to do your own thing and just blow steam in the workout room. It helps with almost any condition and it definitely helps me. You can get through it. Keep fighting man. Depression is something a lot of people deal with in med school too. I also pray for the breaks to come quicker lol. Some people get the breaks in life and some people don't. Things tend to work out in the end if you keep a good head about it. Maybe no one will know, but when you get to the end you can look at your health issues and say a big good **** YOU.

I deal with insomnia as well. It SUCKS, I know how you feel. Mine alternates between trouble falling asleep and trouble staying asleep.

Anyway, the only real option is to keep pushing forward. I'm sure in a few months or maybe a few years your health issues will resolve, so until then like the guy above me said just find a way to push through it. I agree with him that exercise helps. Try to eat healthy if you can, even though it's a pain in the ass. Mainly try to avoid eating a lot of simple carbs/sugar.

I also have to watch my caffeine intake. During test weeks I have a tendency to drink up to a pot of coffee a day, and some nights after doing that I literally can't fall asleep at all. It leads to a vicious cycle because the next day I drink more coffee to stay awake since I didn't sleep the night before, and repeat ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I deal with insomnia as well. It SUCKS, I know how you feel. Mine alternates between trouble falling asleep and trouble staying asleep.

Anyway, the only real option is to keep pushing forward. I'm sure in a few months or maybe a few years your health issues will resolve, so until then like the guy above me said just find a way to push through it. I agree with him that exercise helps. Try to eat healthy if you can, even though it's a pain in the ass. Mainly try to avoid eating a lot of simple carbs/sugar.

I also have to watch my caffeine intake. During test weeks I have a tendency to drink up to a pot of coffee a day, and some nights after doing that I literally can't fall asleep at all. It leads to a vicious cycle because the next day I drink more coffee to stay awake since I didn't sleep the night before, and repeat ad nauseum.

The half life of caffeine is 5 hours. Do the math.

The half life of caffeine is 5 hours. Do the math.

Yea, I realize it's going to stick around in my system for a while--it just used to be a non-issue for me. I could go to the gym at 11, come home at 12 and drink a Venti coffee from Starbucks and be asleep by 1. My insomnia only really started once med shool did.

yeah, I'm with you . I've been having chronic issues since before school started. I've done the miss a few weeks of class bit too. Do you have anyone you can talk to? Sometimes it really helps to just call my gf or my mom and vent from time to time. It hasn't really affected my grades and I agree you have to stick through it but those all-nighters can really get you down when you're suffering alone. Maybe a hobby too to get away?

Hope it works out for you.

I think that the most important thing with having an illness in medical school (I have one too) is making sure it is being optimally managed. Before I started, I got a second opinion on my medications to make sure everything was as good as it could be.

I also pay careful attention to lifestyle measures - saw a dietician to help me eat better, started going to the gym, make sure to get 8 hours per night (at least as a pre-clerk) and I go to therapy to help me manage my stress.

If you feel you are depressed, or your stress is contributing to your migraines you might want to consider therapy to help you learn to cope better.

Im with you on this one. I have an eating disorder plus depression and last year I took a leave of absence so now im doing the second semester of first year. It sucks, and I keep doubting myself and thinking that im lucky whenever I pass a class which is ridiculous because I do pretty well. What you need to do, and I need to do, its take things day by day and dont worry about if you will pass or not, because if other ppl have done it so can you. Exercise, eat properly and study every day, and if one day you cant or you miss any classes, dont beat yourself over it and try to catch up. Never talk down to yourself and no shoulda coulda ****