How to deal with rejection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tequilamockingbird98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was encouraged by the veterinarian that I work for to apply to Washington State University Vet School this year since I will be graduating early. I worked so hard on my application while taking summer classes and working, and last week I just got a rejection letter from them. I called the school and have an appointment to go over my application with the head of admissions. But I just feel so humiliated that I got rejected. I am trying to move on and focus on finishing my degree with the best grades I can, but it's been so hard to not feel down.
Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with rejection letters?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to vet school for 3 years, a total of 17 schools, a few number of waitlists and many, many rejection letters.

It is ok to be upset... seriously. It is disappointing and you have a right to feel that way. However, don't let that feeling take over and control you. Allow yourself to feel upset and then use that as determination to improve your application for the following year. You are already taking this step by contacting the school to see what you can do. Take their recommendations and put them into action.

The worst thing you can do at this point, is nothing and apply again next year with the same stats and experiences. Show that you took the time and effort to improve and focus on putting forth the best application you possibly can.

(And it helps to treat yourself to something you enjoy... cookies, cake, a yummy dinner, a good drink... whatever picks up your mood... ice cream and a movie night... :) )

Reactions: 12 users
cersei-wine-game-of-thrones.gif

Like DVM said, try and improve your stats, take upper level sciences classes and ace them, and drink some wine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was encouraged by the veterinarian that I work for to apply to Washington State University Vet School this year since I will be graduating early. I worked so hard on my application while taking summer classes and working, and last week I just got a rejection letter from them. I called the school and have an appointment to go over my application with the head of admissions. But I just feel so humiliated that I got rejected. I am trying to move on and focus on finishing my degree with the best grades I can, but it's been so hard to not feel down.

I'm so sorry :( I know the feeling a bit too well. I bet you'll get a lot of good info from the application review and that will be a good jumping off point for the next application cycle. Think of how much sweeter it will be when you are accepted after this initial disappointment. :) It takes time, you'll feel better after awhile has passed.

Reactions: 1 user
Seconding what DVM said. I was rejected a few times myself and I made the mistake of waiting too late on some file reviews to make a huge difference on my next application, so you're already on the right tract. In your file review, don't be afraid to ask for specifics. I'm not sure how into detail WSU gets (some schools give more info than others) but ask them things like "what top 5 things would improve my application" and questions along those lines... especially if they're just giving you vague answers. Then take what they give you and be realistic about what you can and can't feasibly change.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You're so young, don't let it get you down! Just going through the process a year early is commendable, and now you are already knowledgeable about the application process which will definitely make your life easier next year. Now you have a whole year to take interesting, upper level biology/animal classes and/or participate in some amazing animal-related experiences. I dealt with several rejection letters last round and ended up going to graduate school (a one year program) instead while I reapplied, and I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. There is still a lot to be excited about :)

When I applied, I had under a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Out of 11(?) schools I applied to, 10 outright rejected me. Colorado State rejected me a couple days before the VMCAS even closed! Talk about a slap in the face. I just kept myself busy with classwork, friends, family, etc. to keep my mind off the rejections.

The best you can do is talk to the admission committee and figure out what you can do to improve your application for WSU. But I'd also encourage you to browse this forum and learn a bit more about the process. You may want to post your stats in the What Are My Chances thread to get some feedback from current students about where you can improve in genearl. You might also be able to find some other schools to apply to next time that are more accepting of where your weak spot may be.

Reactions: 1 users
I really am glad you posted this thread @chilibean98. I've only heard back from one school and have 3 left to hear from. I am already feeling the rejection thing as I am seeing other people get interviews yet not receiving my official letter declining me for an interview. I also applied to WSU as an OOS (not sure what you are?) and am waiting to hear back. I can understand how difficult it is to feel rejected but keep your head up. I think you've got some great advice from other SDN folk. Best of luck to you in the future!

Last year, I applied to 5 schools and was flat out rejected by all. Not even an interview. I was told to increase my experience and either hold my grades steady or retake classes.

So I more than quadrupled my experience AND expanded into equine and zoo (I already had wildlife and small animal). So I think I covered my bases there....I have a few thousand hours now. I elected not to retake classes since only one school told me to do that, and I have a 3.6 cGPA. If i do need to reapply, I will probably retake gen chem and orgo online if possible (or at a CC).

Take what the school tells you seriously. They're not picking on you. They are telling you what you need to do. It's nothing personal that you got rejected! Sometimes it also helps to periodically talk to admissions. I'm not saying you're going to get any bonus points, but asking if you're on the right track is never a bad thing.

If the school doesn't give you much advice (happened to me in one of my file reviews last year), all of the suggestions made to you here are valid. Also, like TRH said, certain schools value certain application parts differently. For example: My IS relies HEAVILY on grades, and science ones at that (they told me to retake classes with a 3.6). They don't even take cGPA's into consideration anymore. One of the OOS schools I'm applying to is a bit more forgiving with grades, and focuses heavily on experience. I'm betting that I have better luck this year OOS. It's all about finding what school is right for you, and which school you are right for.

-Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall ... - Confucius.

You are guaranteed to lead a life filled with rejection and failure. But it won't be that exclusively. Learning to bounce back from it is one of the really important lessons to learn in life. Lots of us here are used to success, and the first taste of failure can be devastating.

You are never going to enjoy failure (I hope), but you can learn to accept it for what it is, not an indictment of you as a person, but something that you can improve on or learn from.

The more you live, the more you will get rejected. Use this as an opportunity to prove to yourself that you can bounce back. Like DVMD said, you can definitely be unhappy about it, but just accept it for what it is, no need to make it into a bigger issue. Your life won't end, your dreams aren't dashed. Your future is still your own.

Good luck. And I hope you are buzzing with hope and positive energy soon enough.

Reactions: 8 users
-Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall ... - Confucius.

You are guaranteed to lead a life filled with rejection and failure. But it won't be that exclusively. Learning to bounce back from it is one of the really important lessons to learn in life. Lots of us here are used to success, and the first taste of failure can be devastating.

You are never going to enjoy failure (I hope), but you can learn to accept it for what it is, not an indictment of you as a person, but something that you can improve on or learn from.

The more you live, the more you will get rejected. Use this as an opportunity to prove to yourself that you can bounce back. Like DVMD said, you can definitely be unhappy about it, but just accept it for what it is, no need to make it into a bigger issue. Your life won't end, your dreams aren't dashed. Your future is still your own.

Good luck. And I hope you are buzzing with hope and positive energy soon enough.
this is really good advice. I'm taking it to heart, SOV :) (obviously not for vet school anymore, but life in general)

Reactions: 1 users
this is really good advice. I'm taking it to heart, SOV :) (obviously not for vet school anymore, but life in general)

Take it to heart when you fail at being a good teacher in April.......... it sure won't be the student......... ;)

This is awesome advice. It's going on my mirror! Thanks!!