How to demonstrate Interest in Osteopathic Medicine.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spooty1189

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am currently in the process of applying a few allopathic schools. My GPA 3.52 and 28 MCAT and I have hundreds of volunteer and medically related experiences. I am on the low end of most MD schools and on the upper end (MCAT wise) for DO schools. I never considered DO school until I read more about the philosophy behind osteopathic medicine and spoke to a few DO students. Other than shadowing DO's, how would I demonstrate an interest in osteopathic medicine and distinguish myself from many other students applying based solely on their inability to matriculate into an allopathic school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
I am currently in the process of applying a few allopathic schools. My GPA 3.52 and 28 MCAT and I have hundreds of volunteer and medically related experiences. I am on the low end of most MD schools and on the upper end (MCAT wise) for DO schools. I never considered DO school until I realized I am not getting any love from MD schools this cycle. Other than shadowing DO's, how would I demonstrate an interest in osteopathic medicine and distinguish myself from many other students applying based solely on their inability to matriculate into an allopathic school?

Fixed it for you.

Reactions: 7 users
Other than knowing what osteopathic medicine is and shadowing DOs, the best way to demonstrate interest is to actually apply to DO schools. Don't worry about distinguishing yourself from allo hopefuls, if you've done your research on the history/philosophy of DOs and like what you find, that will become evident when you talk about it in your application and interviews. One more thing: it's no secret to DO schools that they are the fallback option for many of their applicants, they just want to make sure they accept students who will make quality physicians.

Fixed it for you.
lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically what you're saying is that you are in the Bargaining phase of medical school admissions, where you were set on an MD school, but now DO school totally looks great. Like, you aren't the girl I'm taking to the prom because that cheerleader rejected me, and I totally dig that you're in the chess club and make your own clothes from duct tape. Sure, a bunch of other people have asked you out because you're the prettiest of the not so pretty girls, but I'm different. I really like you for you, and... Wait, what do you mean I sound exactly like all the other guys and you're going with Fritz, the weird smelling stoner that's nowhere near as good looking as me but has been into you all along?! I'm so much better than that guy, I mean, look at me! I could almost get one of the hot chicks!

Reactions: 5 users
Basically what you're saying is that you are in the Bargaining phase of medical school admissions, where you were set on an MD school, but now DO school totally looks great. Like, you aren't the girl I'm taking to the prom because that cheerleader rejected me, and I totally dig that you're in the chess club and make your own clothes from duct tape. Sure, a bunch of other people have asked you out because you're the prettiest of the not so pretty girls, but I'm different. I really like you for you, and... Wait, what do you mean I sound exactly like all the other guys and you're going with Fritz, the weird smelling stoner that's nowhere near as good looking as me but has been into you all along?! I'm so much better than that guy, I mean, look at me! I could almost get one of the hot chicks!

And it's like the day before prom.

Reactions: 1 user
The single best way to learn what being a DO is all about is to shadow one. I highly recommend it. I didn't really understand what the differences were until I did that. Honestly, there isn't a gaping difference, but I ended up having to pick between MD and DO. My experiences shadowing DOs was what solidified my decision to take that route

Reactions: 5 users
And it's like the day before prom.
Like Doctor Krieger said "It's no
secret to DO schools that they are the fallback option for many of their applicants, they just want to make sure they accept students who will make quality physicians." The preventative component of osteopathic medicine interests me and I spoke extensively on preventative medicine in my allo interviews. If I want to go into primary care, I don't see any reason for not applying to DO school. A doctor is a doctor and I would guess that physician colleagues could care less what medical school one attended and more on how well you care for patients.

Like Doctor Krieger said "It's no
secret to DO schools that they are the fallback option for many of their applicants, they just want to make sure they accept students who will make quality physicians." The preventative component of osteopathic medicine interests me and I spoke extensively on preventative medicine in my allo interviews. If I want to go into primary care, I don't see any reason for not applying to DO school. A doctor is a doctor and I would guess that physician colleagues could care less what medical school one attended and more on how well you care for patients.
Most of the doctors I've met throughout the years went to medical schools that were unfamiliar to me. There are over a hundred US allopathic schools and now over thirty osteopathic schools. Most people neither have the time nor care to keep up with the name of which school you attended. If they do, they obviously have too much time on their hands and need to stop looking at themselves in the mirror.

Actually, some of the rudest physicians I've met were ones who went to well known schools.

In the end, it doesn't matter. What matters is what YOU bring to the table.

Reactions: 2 users
...I am on the low end of most MD schools and on the upper end (MCAT wise) for DO schools...

...I never considered DO school until I read more about the philosophy behind osteopathic medicine and spoke to a few DO students....

...I distinguish myself from many other students applying based solely on their inability to matriculate into an allopathic school.

OP, I carved up your intro post a little bit, I think I have created the beginnings of an exceptional AACOMAS personal statement.

You're welcome ;)

Maybe I'm wrong, but is a 28 still considered "upper end"?

Hello all,
I am currently in the process of applying a few allopathic schools. My GPA 3.52 and 28 MCAT and I have hundreds of volunteer and medically related experiences. I am on the low end of most MD schools and on the upper end (MCAT wise) for DO schools. I never considered DO school until I read more about the philosophy behind osteopathic medicine and spoke to a few DO students. Other than shadowing DO's, how would I demonstrate an interest in osteopathic medicine and distinguish myself from many other students applying based solely on their inability to matriculate into an allopathic school?
Shadow a DO who performs OMM. Have them do some HVLA to your C/T/L spine. You'll have a feel good story. Done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on stats of most DO schools (not all), a 28 would be above average. Obviously, this does not guarantee interviews. From what I've read, an applicant must demonstrate a sincere interest in osteopathic medicine.

Did y'all apply to 20+ schools like I did?
Not everyone has the cash to apply to that many school :( I remember reading somewhere that the average applicant applies to 13-15 schools. Then you have poor people like me that apply to 10 (MD+DO)

I see, then I bet if you applied to more schools you would have gotten a lot more interviews.
Maybe, but I really did apply to schools to which I was very good fit and also interested me. I really believe I got a decent bunch of ii's because of my selection of schools. Also I think you have a better GPA than I do. In any case there's many factors that go into this selection process; it's crazy.

Maybe, but I really did apply to schools to which I was very good fit and also interested me. I really believe I got a decent bunch of ii's because of my selection of schools. Also I think you have a better GPA than I do. In any case there's many factors that go into this selection process; it's crazy.

What is fit really until you go to the school? I've found myself regretting many applications the moment I stepped inside their respective cities let alone the schools that on occasion were less universities and more multi-roomed warehouses.
But yes, increasing the amount of apps does bring favor. I screwed myself a bit when I stopped writing secondaries after I started getting IIs from let's be honest, schools that accepted far less than 40% of their applicants or desired applicants that were... more idealistic and less practical while also being with the exception of two (MUCOM & kcumb) places I couldn't see myself attending.

But anywho... To answer your question, the best way to do this is to shadow plenty of DOs, be an active member of your school's Pre-SOMA, and to know people. Experiences speak louder than words and will remove more doubt than words.

Last edited:
Not everyone has the cash to apply to that many school :( I remember reading somewhere that the average applicant applies to 13-15 schools. Then you have poor people like me that apply to 10 (MD+DO)
I feel your pain! I had only applied to 8 (MD+DO)

Good point. I guess I mean a good fit for them, meaning schools to which I possessed some desirable traits/experience/aspirations very specific to their mission and vision. I spent a lot of time researching websites and what not. From there I eliminated based on location and cost. It's not perfect but I went for it. BTW I wanted and ii from ATSU SOMA, that I never got, i believe you did get one from them, I really thought i was a good fit for them :laugh:
Once I interviewed at some of these I found out later whther I still considered them a "fit:" for me or not. though i did not get to go to all my interviews.[/quote]

Last edited:
Good point. I guess I mean a good fit for them, meaning schools to which I possessed some desirable traits/experience/aspirations very specific to their mission and vision. I spent a lot of time researching websites and what not. From there I eliminated based on location and cost. It's not perfect but I went for it. BTW I wanted and ii from ATSU SOMA, that I never got, i believe you did get one from them, I really thought i was a good fit for them :laugh:
Once I interviewed at some of these I found out later whther I still considered them a "fit:" for me or not. though i did not get to go to all my interviews.
[/quote]

I thought I was a fit too. But when I got there I realized it wasn't. But it can't helped, I learned a lot from this app season.

27 w/ 7 IIs so far.

It really depends on the schools you apply to.

If you have a 25 while applying to KCOM, CCOM, PCOM and NOVA then wonder why you haven't gotten any IIs... I have no sympathy.

27 w/ 7 IIs so far.

It really depends on the schools you apply to.

If you have a 25 while applying to KCOM, CCOM, PCOM and NOVA then wonder why you haven't gotten any IIs... I have no sympathy.

Agreed and to be completely honest in many cases these lower ranked schools may end up being a better fit for you than you can imagine. So applying broadly is very much important.

Did y'all apply to 20+ schools like I did?

I applied to 16 and was overwhelmed with secondary applications and then interviews. I wish i wouldn't have applied to so many, but thankful i got in.

OP like many people have said the best thing is to take initiative and find a DO to shadow. I was always interested in manual medicine and saw an important application in many areas but my only experience was with athletic trainers, PTs, and a few chiros. I knew OMM had similar cross overs but was unique so I spent the past year shadowing the OMM dept. at PCOM and that was a major selling point for me. If you seek out DOs most are very receptive to helping you out! - best of luck

What is fit really until you go to the school? I've found myself regretting many applications the moment I stepped inside their respective cities let alone the schools that on occasion were less universities and more multi-roomed warehouses.
But yes, increasing the amount of apps does bring favor. I screwed myself a bit when I stopped writing secondaries after I started getting IIs from let's be honest, schools that accepted far less than 40% of their applicants or desired applicants that were... more idealistic and less practical while also being with the exception of two (MUCOM & kcumb) places I couldn't see myself attending.

But anywho... To answer your question, the best way to do this is to shadow plenty of DOs, be an active member of your school's Pre-SOMA, and to know people. Experiences speak louder than words and will remove more doubt than words.

Are there any MD schools that are not affiliated with undergrad institutions? Why are there so many 'stand alone' DO schools? I think this is something that the institution (I guess COCA) that accredited these DO schools should require....

Are there any MD schools that are not affiliated with undergrad institutions? Why are there so many 'stand alone' DO schools? I think this is something that the institution (I guess COCA) that accredited these DO schools should require....
They don't require it, but I agree, they should. Luckily, many of the newer schools are affiliated with undergraduate institutions as well as other medical graduate programs.

Plenty of them. But that's not really the issue fully. I simply have a very small range comfort zone and anything outside. So that ended up making many schools simply incompatible.
Idk I choose a big brick university for undergraduate that's near home. It appears I want something that feels like that as well for medical school. A pity it took a year of interviewing to inform a boy in his early 20s of that >.>

Now regarding coca. Let's talk about enemies in our own beds.

Plenty of them. But that's not really the issue fully. I simply have a very small range comfort zone and anything outside. So that ended up making many schools simply incompatible.
Idk I choose a big brick university for undergraduate that's near home. It appears I want something that feels like that as well for medical school. A pity it took a year of interviewing to inform a boy in his early 20s of that >.>

Now regarding coca. Let's talk about enemies in our own beds.
Can you name a few?

I had the same MCAT and a lower GPA than you, and I was offered 7 interviews. I went to three of those interviews and was accepted to two of the schools (my top two choices) and then withdrew from the rest of the interviews. here is some DO school application magic sauce that will spice up your application like a Merciless Guatamalan insanity pepper of Quetzalacatenango. This was explained to me over the phone by the dean of admissions of a DO school: OMM shadowing. if you know OMM and you can talk about it in your secondary essays and interviews, you are leaps and bounds ahead of most DO applicants who don't realize that the only major difference between MD and DO is OMM. don't try to pull the "holistic" argument. MDs don't like being told they aren't holistic, and there's a good chance that your interviewing panel will either have an MD or someone related to an MD who will take offense to such a remark. so that's it, voila! thank me when you're on stage getting your white coat.

So I just finished shadowing a DO ortho surgeon for a few months. Found out he does ZERO OMM but it was still an awesome experience and I am getting a letter out of it. So my question is then since I have had no OMM experience at this point, should I really try to get some?

The thing is, I have seriously no possible time to do it. I had been shadowing this guy during my work hours and I am seriously not doing that again, that was insane juggling my work, shadowing and my wife's masters program with one car, it will be even harder this semester too... I would really like to shadow in the ER which I figure is not terribly hard since I could do that for a couple of weekends, however to get OMM, would it be crazy to get experience solely by having a DO perform it on me? My back is all F'ed up since I worked as a post hole digger for like 5 years so I was actually thinking of going to a DO just to see what it is about and if it could help my back pain. Do you think that would be ok? basically the sum of my medical experience would be:

4 months working as a medical assistant (20hours a week)
6 months volunteering at a clinic (4 hours a week)
shadowing ortho DO (maybe 40 hours)
shadowing in the ER??? (maybe try and get 2 or 3 shifts)

I feel like maybe that having the ER shadow and having OMM practiced on me would really help me to gauge the profession and be able to talk about some stuff during interviews, what do yall think?

You don't "have" to put OMM down on your app, it's just an extra feather in your hat. It would probably serve you well to at least shadow a family doctor tho.

Fwiw, I had direct exposure to OMM, put it directly on my app and was never asked about it.

Yea I mean I really really want to shadow a family physician. I have an awesome relationship with my PCP and he was one of the mentors that really solidified that I want to become a physician. However, I stupidly never asked to shadow him before I moved (850 miles away).

But now I am working an 8-6 kind of job, I just have no clue how to get the time to shadow a FM doc, let alone a DO FM doc that practices OMM. I was previously balancing shadowing and working but man was it just insane and I was getting my boss pissed off at me.

I wish I could find a practice that was open on weekends but so far I just havent been able to find anyone, which i why I feel like settling down to the ER.

I mean beyond just having that extra feather in my hat (which I would like to have heh), I feel like it would be good to at least see what OMM is about if I am applying to like 10 DO schools.

So I just finished shadowing a DO ortho surgeon for a few months. Found out he does ZERO OMM but it was still an awesome experience and I am getting a letter out of it. So my question is then since I have had no OMM experience at this point, should I really try to get some?

The thing is, I have seriously no possible time to do it. I had been shadowing this guy during my work hours and I am seriously not doing that again, that was insane juggling my work, shadowing and my wife's masters program with one car, it will be even harder this semester too... I would really like to shadow in the ER which I figure is not terribly hard since I could do that for a couple of weekends, however to get OMM, would it be crazy to get experience solely by having a DO perform it on me? My back is all F'ed up since I worked as a post hole digger for like 5 years so I was actually thinking of going to a DO just to see what it is about and if it could help my back pain. Do you think that would be ok? basically the sum of my medical experience would be:

4 months working as a medical assistant (20hours a week)
6 months volunteering at a clinic (4 hours a week)
shadowing ortho DO (maybe 40 hours)
shadowing in the ER??? (maybe try and get 2 or 3 shifts)

I feel like maybe that having the ER shadow and having OMM practiced on me would really help me to gauge the profession and be able to talk about some stuff during interviews, what do yall think?
You should definitely get your back worked on by a DO. That would be a beneficial thing to mention as well if it helps your pain. The docs at my school always say that the student getting the treatment done on them is learning a lot more about the technique than the students watching

Because obviously I could take off work for a couple of hours for medical stuff, my boss is super nice, it was just after taking off a few hours every single monday, he started to get snippy. I am blessed with very good insurance so hopefully that would pay for it? (or help)

Thanks for the advice, I will stay the course then

Because obviously I could take off work for a couple of hours for medical stuff, my boss is super nice, it was just after taking off a few hours every single monday, he started to get snippy. I am blessed with very good insurance so hopefully that would pay for it? (or help)

Thanks for the advice, I will stay the course then
Ya, your insurance should cover it

Can you name a few?

Tcmc
Rfu
Mercer
Mayo
Nymc
Cleveland Clinic
Medical university of SC

Etc. However the issue is palpable. All of these schools are incomparable to even established DO schools in terms of opportunities.
Coca' lax standards are hurting us severely.

They don't require it, but I agree, they should. Luckily, many of the newer schools are affiliated with undergraduate institutions as well as other medical graduate programs.

Well they're affiliated with some newer schools. But admittedly they almost always have less nih funding than the stand alone MDs I've already mentioned. It's a problem.

DO schools, in general, are designed to create primary care doctors, specifically family medicine physicians. I think people forget that.

I shadowed a DO who didn't do any OMM.

What he did do was talk about it, and referred a patient to an OMM specialist (and then explained why). It doesn't have to be direct exposure, but you should be aware and mildly knowledgeable.

DO schools, in general, are designed to create primary care doctors, specifically family medicine physicians. I think people forget that.

You know, I won't lie I'm interested in PCP but I am nauseated by schools that make it into a mission or are so brash as to push me into believing it should be my goal to be one of I don't really want it.

There's some sound advice in this thread, and here some more tidbits:

Know more about osteopathy than just what you can read in Wikipeida
Find and read "The DOs" by Norman Gevitz
If there is a DO shcool within driving distance, go visit them and chat up the DO faculty.

Hello all,

There's some sound advice in this thread, and here some more tidbits:

Know more about osteopathy than just what you can read in Wikipeida
Find and read "The DOs" by Norman Gevitz
If there is a DO shcool within driving distance, go visit them and chat up the DO faculty.

I am surprised by how expensive that book is! Even the old copies from the early 90's. Must be a decent read to hold value like that

I am surprised by how expensive that book is! Even the old copies from the early 90's. Must be a decent read to hold value like that
Another really good introduction to osteopathic medicine's origins and history is The Difference a D.O. Makes. It's crazy expensive on Amazon, but can be purchased here for $12+shipping. This and the Gevitz book have been the only two I could find on the subject.

Bottom line is: If you're interested, it will show. If you're not, it will also show. Interviewers will see right through pre-meds who fake it to make it. You can tell when they start throwing out buzzwords like "holistic" and "DO's are more friendly" sort of junk. Tell the admissions committee you are interested by what you have done to learn about Osteopathic Medicine. Big pluses are the usual: Shadowing a DO, seeing OMT performed either on you, or a patient, getting a DO letter, etc--these are the things that catch my attention. If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, PM me, and I can get you hooked up to shadow some Osteopathic Medical Students doing OMT at our various clinics.

A message to people who apply to DO as a back-up: know that when you are applying to an Osteopathic School, you are applying to become an Osteopathic Physician. If you can't reconcile having "DO" after your name, then I would seriously reconsider your decisions. Hope this helps, OP.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I have a (probably pretty dumb) question about shadowing a DO.

How do you proceed to shadow a DO?
I mean, is the process similar to shadowing a MD ... i.e. when I had to shadow a MD, I just filled up a shadowing form (though it didn't ask me MD or DO) and I was informed when to get a date, etc.
Or is it a bit different? I read somewhere that I would have to go to the AOA website, where it can give a list of nearby DOs and then I should contact them.

Oh and another question after I'm done with shadowing and presume to apply to DO school, how do I proceed to obtain a LOR from the doc?
Do they (the DOs) already presume and are ready for that, or do I have to ask them if they will be willing?

Thanks