How to demonstrate Interest in Osteopathic Medicine.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another really good introduction to osteopathic medicine's origins and history is The Difference a D.O. Makes. It's crazy expensive on Amazon, but can be purchased here for $12+shipping. This and the Gevitz book have been the only two I could find on the subject.
If I had to read just one, which is better ... Jones's book or Gevitz's?

Members don't see this ad.

Never shadowed a DO, didn't have a letter from one either and got accepted at the earliest day for my local DO school. Just be able to answer why DO perhaps

Basically what you're saying is that you are in the Bargaining phase of medical school admissions, where you were set on an MD school, but now DO school totally looks great. Like, you aren't the girl I'm taking to the prom because that cheerleader rejected me, and I totally dig that you're in the chess club and make your own clothes from duct tape. Sure, a bunch of other people have asked you out because you're the prettiest of the not so pretty girls, but I'm different. I really like you for you, and... Wait, what do you mean I sound exactly like all the other guys and you're going with Fritz, the weird smelling stoner that's nowhere near as good looking as me but has been into you all along?! I'm so much better than that guy, I mean, look at me! I could almost get one of the hot chicks!

You never disappoint Jack. Well done

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't want to start a new thread, but I have a (probably pretty dumb) question about shadowing a DO.

How do you proceed to shadow a DO?
I mean, is the process similar to shadowing a MD ... i.e. when I had to shadow a MD, I just filled up a shadowing form (though it didn't ask me MD or DO) and I was informed when to get a date, etc.
Or is it a bit different? I read somewhere that I would have to go to the AOA website, where it can give a list of nearby DOs and then I should contact them.

Oh and another question after I'm done with shadowing and presume to apply to DO school, how do I proceed to obtain a LOR from the doc?
Do they (the DOs) already presume and are ready for that, or do I have to ask them if they will be willing?

Thanks
The same way as you would find an MD to shadow. I just googled some DOs in my area and called them to ask. After I shadowed one a couple times, I asked if he'd be willing to write me a letter and he didn't mind at all

Reactions: 1 user
If I had to read just one, which is better ... Jones's book or Gevitz's?
Sorry for the confusion...I haven't had the chance to read the Gevitz book yet, but it's the one more popular one (probably due to The Difference not really being available outside the OOA). I've read The Difference a couple times. It was written by the man most responsible for establishing the relationship between what is now known as OSU-COM with a major research institution. It tells the story of the origins of osteopathic medicine (A.T. Still's mini bio) and then chronicles all the opposition from the AMA over the years all the way to their having to admit DOs were just as qualified to practice medicine as MDs. Then it details what the process of becoming a DO is like and what exactly OMT is and why they 'make a difference.' That's it in a nutshell. The author, Bob Jones, was not a DO and had no scientific background, but was the leader of the Oklahoma Osteopathic Association for many years.

It's really interesting to see the vitriol with which the AMA wanted to eliminate osteopathic medicine, and the effects that has had even to this day.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry for the confusion...I haven't had the chance to read the Gevitz book yet, but it's the one more popular one (probably due to The Difference not really being available outside the OOA). I've read The Difference a couple times. It was written by the man most responsible for establishing the relationship between what is now known as OSU-COM with a major research institution. It tells the story of the origins of osteopathic medicine (A.T. Still's mini bio) and then chronicles all the opposition from the AMA over the years all the way to their having to admit DOs were just as qualified to practice medicine as MDs. Then it details what the process of becoming a DO is like and what exactly OMT is and why they 'make a difference.' That's it in a nutshell. The author, Bob Jones, was not a DO and had no scientific background, but was the leader of the Oklahoma Osteopathic Association for many years.

It's really interesting to see the vitriol with which the AMA wanted to eliminate osteopathic medicine, and the effects that has had even to this day.
Thanks for the recommendation. I just purchased this book

Thanks for the recommendation. I just purchased this book
No problem. One thing about it is that is hasn't been updated since around 2000 (hence the 'Millennium Edition') so some of the info is outdated (like number of schools) but obviously the history hasn't changed. Hope you like it!

The Getvitz book is a good one. I read it when I was a pre-med. Gave me a comprehensive history on Osteopathy.