How to describe gap year in secondaries when you don't know your plans yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkPEACE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm noticing that a lot of the secondaries ask about the gap year in the past tense (present perfect tense, but still, a past connotation) (ex. describe what you have done since you graduated?).

For individuals who have graduated like 2 months ago by the time they submit a secondary in August, let's say, that means they'd describe what they did in June and July? Or are these questions directed to those who take multiple gap years?

I'm guessing asking in the past tense is still meant to serve those who take a single gap year and apply early. For those of us who don't know yet (have applied to things, haven't heard back, etc), how do we go about answering such a question? Do we just leave it blank and then submit an update later? I'd rather not mention specifics and at the same time I'm worried about sounding too ambiguous...If you know how this situation is ideally handled, I would appreciate your input.

Thank you!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I would say: use it as an opportunity to describe what you plan to do with your gap year if you're only taking that one year off. You can always send in an update if things change significantly and/or you get some award/scholarship/whatnot.

Do you really have no idea? You must have some clue if you're going to do research, volunteer, shadow, work, etc...

Reactions: 1 user
I'm noticing that a lot of the secondaries ask about the gap year in the past tense (present perfect tense, but still, a past connotation) (ex. describe what you have done since you graduated?).

For individuals who have graduated like 2 months ago by the time they submit a secondary in August, let's say, that means they'd describe what they did in June and July? Or are these questions directed to those who take multiple gap years?

I'm guessing asking in the past tense is still meant to serve those who take a single gap year and apply early. For those of us who don't know yet (have applied to things, haven't heard back, etc), how do we go about answering such a question? Do we just leave it blank and then submit an update later? I'd rather not mention specifics and at the same time I'm worried about sounding too ambiguous...If you know how this situation is ideally handled, I would appreciate your input.

Thank you!

:)
Hopefully you are doing something in your year "off" aside from applying and interviewing. I think a lot of people do research, but I've also encountered people who spent their time backpacking and mountain climbing, as there will likely never be another time in life to do it. Either way, you should show that you are doing something with your time "off", if its backpacking and mountain climbing, it would need to be phrased in the right way so you don't sound like a drifter.