How to do away rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoulinNeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to do away rotations next year, but my dean advised me to start asking institutions now about their rules and such. I've never done before and don't know where to start. I'm trying to do a few in Chicago, but not sure how to. For instance, for one school, all I could find on their Psych department contact list is an e-mail for a Residency/fellowship coordinator. Can I just ask that person? I would also need to fill out a VSAS, right? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: Just to add, I am a US MD student. Wanted to clarify for VSAS purposes.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking to do away rotations next year, but my dean advised me to start asking institutions now about their rules and such. I've never done before and don't know where to start. I'm trying to do a few in Chicago, but not sure how to. For instance, for one school, all I could find on their Psych department contact list is an e-mail for a Residency/fellowship coordinator. Can I just ask that person? I would also need to fill out a VSAS, right? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: Just to add, I am a US MD student. Wanted to clarify for VSAS purposes.
Yes, email that person in polite manner.

For most schools googling "school name" + "visiting medical student elective" and you'll probably find an informational how to page with all of the information that you need. Some schools are very aggressive about stating that interested students should not contact departments.

Reactions: 1 user
For most schools googling "school name" + "visiting medical student elective" and you'll probably find an informational how to page with all of the information that you need. Some schools are very aggressive about stating that interested students should not contact departments.
Excellent point.
I recommend not doing away rotations at places so unfriendly or over worked or over crowded that they can't answer a polite inquiry after you've researched them online.