how to do electives in germany??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fasttrack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys once again!
once again i am with a help status....:D :D but what to do i am with lack of information or you can say i am still learning! ok leave, lets come to point... before i posted about residency in germany and i hae got a lot information and i do success to achieve that not 100% but you can say now it is possible for me. and after that for managing fund or scholarship for 1st 2 year servive there while residency, but now i am asking somthing related electives in germany! as i am last year student of medical university. i am a indian citizen willbe holding russian diploma soon(both NON_EU). and loking for residncy in germany.i was thinking to do electives in germany because i was thinking that if i do electives in germany then it is posible tostay there for few days, to know german and people and syste aswell my main moto is there while that timevisit lot of privet as well community clinics and hospital who hire tudent for residency. and have some border lne or finishing touch with the system so y Questions are : can i do electives in germany? whare i can do( i mean isit only at university hospitals or private hospitals also possible?) what is the procedure? whom to contact? what is this exacly electives? (is that summer intranceship) what ae the chances to get inn? what is the duration? any langiage barriers? if any other ondition then which are they...detailed plesae? any student from out of EU can do that? any on have the experience? iam just new to this as i mention my aim behind so what are your opinons?
thank you. (in advance) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Electives can be done at all Hospitals in Germany (both University and Private) and in nearly any medical field as well as in many general practitioners offices. In Germany they are called "Famulatur" and usually last 30 days (because that is what the medical schools here require). They are very informal so you can do more or less than 30 days and start at any time. They are unpaid and the experience/requirements varies a lot from ward to ward- generally they include drawing blood, going on rounds, assisting in surgeries (varies), writing reports and in some cases you can get "your own" patients to treat under the supervision of one of the doctors.

Speaking German is of course an important aspect but not really a requirement. I have encountered many visiting students during my studies that could not speak German but I don't think they were able to learn very much and I am sure it was a bit uncomfortable for them. Although most doctors here have a good command of English- all paperwork and seminars are held in German and many patients cannot speak English. It might be a good idea to combine an internship with an intensive German course. This should be possible since there are no set hours that you have to work

The best way to get a "Famulatur" is to contact the hospital or Attending/ department head (Oberarzt/ Chefarzt) directly. I think that most hospitals will have no problem with you spending some time there, provided that there are no legal barriers (I have no idea about this- you have to ask at the hospital).

Wait, I thought electives were only for medical students in particular. Medical graduates don't qualify for electives right?? So I assume fasttrack plans to do an elective this year??? (which is his final year?? is that right?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I read wrong and thought the plan was to do electives while you are still in your final year... sorry... :oops:

I am not 100% sure but I think that you can also do electives after you have finished medical school ("hospitieren"), at least there were several individuals in some of the hospitals I have been at that seemed to be in this situation (also non-EU grads). However, I am not sure what the insurance situation is in such a case and you may be limited to doing an observership.

The best way to get clarity is from the hospital directly- they will definitely know the legal details. Good luck!

1st of all, thanks alot you both. its correct that i am in a final year and after that i suppose to do the internship here in russia of one year then only my russian diploma can be recognised and i can be able to obtain the work permit (ofcorse temarary) in mnner to do residency in germany. so actually i was thinking to do my electives at the end of this year for few days ( because i already mention my moto behind) and then come back to same place i mean russia and do the internship and mean while do all paper work and learn more german and next year move to germany! so if ultimatly to say then, at the end of this year just to go germany for few days to do electives as well learn everything about germany,medical system and look for more apportunity. that was my plan! so guys what you think? any suggestions? thank you