How to do research after graduating, without enrolling in a graduate program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was wondering what is the best way to do research after graduating? Would the only way to do this, be to enroll in a graduate program, such as a master's or PhD program? Or, can I do research without enrolling in a graduate program and if so, how? Thank you all for your advice and insight, it is always greatly appreciated!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just ask the professors or PIs in your vicinity. Ask broadly too. It depends if there's space in a lab firstly and then on your drive to do research in that lab.

You don't have to be enrolled in a program. Free help is always welcome.

The main factor they might consider is how much time you are willing to invest in the lab. It takes time to train someone in the techniques and protocols. If you only have a few months, a few hours a day, that may not be enough. By the time you are done with learning, you'll be on your way out.

You could always also look for internships and programs at local academic centers and apply for those. I've heard of several people who do them and then build a relationship with their PI that leads to a more secure position in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I was wondering what is the best way to do research after graduating? Would the only way to do this, be to enroll in a graduate program, such as a master's or PhD program? Or, can I do research without enrolling in a graduate program and if so, how? Thank you all for your advice and insight, it is always greatly appreciated!!! :)
It's possible. As iridescent said, you can just email professors. Although, Im not sure as to the amount of research you're planning on doing. PIs at my uni typically want a two year commitment for those they take the time to train. You might have to do research for 1 year, apply to MD, then spend your gap year doing more research (or maybe apply after two years). Are you up for that? You have the option to do summer research btw.

Additionally, why do you want to do research anyway? If it's simply to apply to MD programs, then sure you don't need to get a master's. But if you're aiming for an MD/PhD, it might help to have a master's and lead your own project, although people have gone on to MD/PhD programs doing years of research as an undergrad.

Cold email PI's. Lots of them. If you have prior research experience and you give this enough time(hence a couple months) you can find a job. However, as others have said the time commitment is definitely an issue. Most PI's will want at least a 2 year commitment, although if you really look hard enough it is definitely possible to find someone willing to take you for a year.

Note if your simply content volunteering you can find a lab that will take you within days if you cold email PIs. Even for a one year commitment many PIs won't have problems taking a volunteer, particularly one with prior experience.

My university has a website for job postings, including research positions. I emailed a couple of those people and also did lots of searching through other departments and found that our medical school had its own little hidden place where they posted research intern positions. I luckily was able to snag one of those. Bottom line, email tons of profs that are looking, and also cold email profs that you find online if you are interested in their research. It takes a little luck, and having previous research experience in a comparable lab helps a ton!