How to do research at away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Misopogon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have two aways lined up for the summer. Several people on this forum have mentioned that they were able to get a project at their away sites. How did you go about getting started on this? Did you have a project set up before you arrived or did you just ask around your first week for a project?

Moreover, on my home rotation, I have been reading up on patients, and trying to show my interest by asking relevant questions, but it is mostly observing at this point. Do aways have more expectation for rotating students and what can I expect in terms of being able to see patients, present, and write notes?

Members don't see this ad.

I currently have two aways lined up for the summer. Several people on this forum have mentioned that they were able to get a project at their away sites. How did you go about getting started on this? Did you have a project set up before you arrived or did you just ask around your first week for a project?

Moreover, on my home rotation, I have been reading up on patients, and trying to show my interest by asking relevant questions, but it is mostly observing at this point. Do aways have more expectation for rotating students and what can I expect in terms of being able to see patients, present, and write notes?

I would e-mail one of the residents/attendings now and try and get something lined up. Since you are only there 4 weeks it is nearly impossible to just get something going in the first week. I e-mailed one of the attendings a few months in advance and had good luck. Choose an attending who you'd like to get to know better and ultimately get a letter from because this will allow for more one on one time.

And, on my away rotations, I was expected to see the patient first, do a good Oncology H and P (Path, imaging, etc.) and do a good presentation with a basic treatment recommendation, IE yes or no to radiation? I don't feel like I was ever expected to know the exact number of Gy at that point.

As a resident, the medical students who impress me the most are the ones who just have it together and do a great H and P. If you do a great presentation, can answer the few follow up questions about their history (and smile) you will be a rockstar.

Reactions: 1 user
I had been through this last year and I could tell you what happened to me.

I sent emails at least 4 months before my aways to attendings who I would like to do research with. But was told either time was too short to finish a project of your own or institutional policies didn't allow. However, through communications about possible research opportunities, I believe my attendings remember me well and I also came up with new ideas after extensive readings, which resulted in my current projects at my home department.

Some people on this forum successfully accomplished research at aways, so I would say it is absolutely possible dependent on the situations (institution, attending, luck, etc), and it never hurts to ask, but be prepared if no good luck since it's really a short time.

However, when looking back today, I would have proposed to write a review paper if I could have another chance, which I believe both policy and time would allow.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was never able to find enough time to do research during my aways as there was too much time exploring new places and preparing for the patients. The residents could be a very good resource if they have things going on which you could help with during and after your rotation.

On your home rotation, I found that some places are different when it comes to student involvement. The place I matched I really only saw patients and presented. Some other places will let you dictate, contour, all that stuff. It also depends whether you are on a rotation with or without a resident - I tried to chose uncovered attendings for more face time.

Thanks for the recs, guys, appreciate it. I have been doing more the last week - seeing consults on my own, presenting and trying to come up with a treatment plan, and contouring. I think they were just letting me test the waters first before getting me to dive in. I will try emailing my away attendings and see if I get any luck.

Also, for aways, I am curious what did you try to look for in terms of deciding whether this was a place where you would like to train? Other than liking the people in that department, obviously. I ask because I am still not sure what factors to use to decide on what programs I want to apply to this fall. I will definitely be asking my home residents and attendings what they think but I am curious if you all have any advice on this matter as well.