How to do well on an away rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toadkiller Dog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm slated to begin my first (and only) away rotation in two weeks, and I'm wondering how to do a good job.

In all honesty, I have no ophtho skills. We have no ops dept here, and I can't refract or use any other equipment besides a direct scope. :( I probably can't diagnose any but the *most* basic eye problems.

I am a quick learner (have honored all my requireds except OB/Gyn. Geez, I hated that rotation), so I'm not a total doofus. Any tips would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would strongly recommend against going in cold, if you can help it. This is presumably what you want to do for the rest of your life. You need to show that you've investigated it.

Any chance you could hook up with a community ophtho who could show you the ropes? Surely there is someone in the area that would let you shadow for a week or so prior to your away rotation. Check the phone book, make some calls, and explain the situation. You should be able to find someone who would be open to the idea.

As far as level of knowledge, of course more is better; however, you don't really need to be able to diagnose (that's what residency is for!). Knowing your way around a slit lamp and refractor will definitely help. Not expert skills, mind you; familiarity will do, and you should be able to accomplish that in a week's time.

Go get em', Toadkiller Dog! :thumbup:

Actually, yes, I am doing a 2-week stint (the *next* 2 weeks!) with a pediatric ophtho here in town that works a little with the school. She does some general, and there are general opthos in the same clinic.

Other than knowing how to use the toys, what else makes for a good 4th year elective? One ophtho resident who graduated a few years ago from our school told me I should get an appointment with the chair the first week, let him know I will be asking for a letter, and ask if there are any projects I can complete, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't sure from your last post whether you will be rotating with the peds ophtho the 2 weeks before or after your away. If before, great! If after, I really would try and set something up (with the same doc or another) for a stretch before your away.

Other than having some rudimentary skills, I believe the key to good elective performance is really just outward eagerness. Let the faculty/residents see how interested you are in the field. Ask about the cases you observe. Read up on things you don't understand.

Contacting the chair would be a good move, if you are looking for a letter from him/her. The chair may want to arrange for you to work more closely with him/her, either on a project or in the clinic, in order to better gauge your performance. Letters from those with whom you've worked more closely tend to contain more personal info and, I believe, may carry more weight (i.e., they don't appear generic).

Just finished my second day of the peds ophtho rotation. The doc I am with is great! She is an awesome teacher, and has let me use the slit lamp, indirect, etc. on nearly every patient. I refracted my first patient today, and didn't do half bad! :laugh:

The first few times I couldn't see diddley through the slit lamp, and the indirect was especially tough, but I am starting to get the hang of it. They were easily the two most fun days I have spent in medical school. :thumbup:

Rock on! Thanks for the advice.

Glad to hear it's going so well! You should be in good shape for your away. Don't be too worried about mastering the indirect at this point. As a general rule, it takes about a year to become comfortable with it. Hope your away rotation goes well! :thumbup:

One thing that helped me out immensely as a 4th year student was the Lange book on ophtho. It's small, paperback, and yellow (last time I checked). It quickly covers the basics in just about any topic so you won't get too bogged down. It's possible to read the whole thing in a few sittings. Another good reference for a student is the VERY small Kanski (I think) picture book. Just good for recognition.