How to effectively review and learn from passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dedicated2be

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Currently in content review phase. Working through TPR science workbook as well as Kaplan online materials such as topical tests etc. My question is, once you are done doing a passage, how do you all review your mistakes? In addition to reading the correct answers, do you take notes and then re-review later? Do you re-do the same passage a few days later? Or re-read the answer explanations?

How does one make sure that they have thoroughly learned the details behind a certain passage before moving on? I've read that we should be spending more time post phrasing and going over our mistakes, so just trying to be effective. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I like to go over it again a few days later and see if i can answer the question again. If I cant I'll review the material again. It helps me feel more confident that I actually learned the material, and reminds me of silly mistakes I make

I would go through the explanations for every question, both those I got correct and those that I got incorrect. I'm typically a write-as-I-study type, so I would typically jot down a few notes for every question/explanation as I went along. Then, at the end of my studying, I would typically go over this list of notes really quickly to make sure that I conceptualized everything that the explanations were trying to get across. I would also take a look at this again as I re-reviewed that specific chapter at a later date.

Something that has helped me is as I do the passage, if I do it un-timed (which is what I do a lot when just reviewing rather than taking a FL) is I answer each question but I also write down why I didn't chose certain answers and why I chose the correct one and the process around it. Basically I put my thoughts onto paper. Then I compare that with explanation from the book and see if it matches up or if I missed something. Then I review it's content that I missed to make sure I get it. Seems to help me remember a lot of stuff since I tell myself I am pretty sure that is the answer for this reason but ends up being wrong. Most people learn the most and remember the most from learning the mistakes they did.