How to establish your reputation as a psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mats7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you do this to get referrals from primary care physicians? Clients from word of mouth? How would I do this?

Is it a good idea to go to a rural area or a prison system to make big amounts of $$$, pay off loans and accrue savings, then move into more saturated markets and get an academic title to bolster your credentials? Or go to the saturated markets at an academic system, build your reputation, then go from there? Or is it better to never move at all and build your client base slowly?

I'm a rising M2 and thinking about how viable a career in psychiatry is.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you do this to get referrals from primary care physicians? Clients from word of mouth? How would I do this?

Is it a good idea to go to a rural area or a prison system to make big amounts of $$$, pay off loans and accrue savings, then move into more saturated markets and get an academic title to bolster your credentials? Or go to the saturated markets at an academic system, build your reputation, then go from there? Or is it better to never move at all and build your client base slowly?

I'm a rising M2 and thinking about how viable a career in psychiatry is.

All the above and then some. The development of personal and professional relationships is cornerstone to any practice.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you are using the best things for anxiety (benzos), the most effective treatments for focus, energy, depression and overall everything (stimulants), and the best things to make people function better (disability), they will come to you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First, during residency you will build a reputation. Hopefully a good one. Your attendings can then help you get connected with employment, or if you go into private practice you may have the beginnings of a referral base there.

Afterwards I think it depends on whether you want to start a private practice, join a group practice, be employed by a large non-academic organization, be an academic attending, etc. It's hard to advise you about specifics without having a path in mind. Some general principles include:
-Do good work
-Respond promptly and professionally to everyone you work with, patients included. Try to 'wow' people where possible (for instance, setting up a next day appointment for an acute-sounding new intake instead of giving a time several weeks out)
-Work well with referrals; if you keep turning away those who get referred to you or otherwise are a hassle that source will likely dry up
-Consider involving yourself in local professional societies (especially if you didn't train where you practice)
-Avoid being an excessive complainer

The bottom line is if you are competent and have a good attitude, I think you can go far. Lots (most) places are desperate for psychiatrists, if you are not openly malignant in some form you can probably do well.

Reactions: 1 user