How to explain a D on my transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bae.area.premed123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up within the next 2 weeks and as I'm preparing for it by researching the school and more of that, I'm fairly certain I'm gonna come across a question regarding the D on my transcript for a particular class in my postbacc.

The class was based on two exams only, and the first exam I failed miserably bc I woke up 35 min late and by the time I got to my exam, I had maybe 35 minutes combined with recovering from the panic to finish a 60 question exam which I got a 29/60 on.

I got a 53/60 on the next exam but that only made my total class grade a 68%.

What's the best way to address this grade in an interview question? My other classes were Bs and As and one C+ (bc histology is my greatest weakness).

Members don't see this ad.

"I ****ed up. Sorry."

Reactions: 1 users
The best way to address this is to speak honestly about the situation. I would let the interviewer know that you overslept which resulted in the rushed and panicked taking of the test. Move on from this by accepting responsibility for not being on time, mature/responsible and talk about what you learned and how you have used this experience to ensure future academic and nonacademic success.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Saying sorry to an interviewer for having a bad grade? :confused:

Not saying sorry but I figure I'm going to definitely get a question about this. How to address it and answer it in the most thorough way possible is my goal right now.

Frans_Hals_-_Portret_van_Ren%C3%A9_Descartes.jpg

A D, you say?

Not a big deal. Just hope it doesn't come up during the interview, and if it does, say you learned how to more effectively manage your time and study, as shown by your subsequent performance.

Reactions: 2 users
Just explain it honestly.

Reactions: 1 user
If they don't bring it up - you don't bring it up.

I had a summer session (with only 2 classes) that resulted in a 2.0 GPA. (my overall GPA was still above avg).

One interviewer asked me about my C's and F (I had a total of 4 C's - 2 in science and 2 in like "how to be a great teacher", F in "creative art"). I gave an honest response. "The summer I over planned, I thought it was a 6 hour course load per week for 6 credits, and took on a 40hr/week internship but it turned out to be a 30-50 hr course load - I didn't plan well. And the Art? Let's say my self portrait looked more like a monkey than human and she did not like any of my pieces and it helped me learn that I should not be an artist."

The other interviewer never mentioned it - so I didn't either.