How to explain research interests...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychedTriGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone...I have a couple interviews in a couple weeks for clinical PhD programs and I was wondering how people explain their research interests to profs they are interviewing with. I am not sure how concise and/or verbose I should be. Would anyone be willing to share how they explained their interests in an interview or with graduate students?

Less is more, be thoughtful and don't rush to answer questions. You should feel free to expand on ideas a bit, but not to the point where you are dominating a conversation. Express clearly what excites you about the research area and why you are passionate about it, then ask questions, be inquisitive, and listen.

You should be concise when discussing your research interests, but not overly simplistic. Don't get lost in the weeds.

Make sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! I guess my tendency is to over think how indepth one should get about hi or her research interests.

I would add to the response, "Use your words!"

Aside from being a John Greenism, it's incredibly applicable to your situation. You want to convey not only what your interests are, but how excited you get about it. They want to know that you can get excited about research and about their program. Further, using your own words and being yourself is important to the process because you probably don't want to end up in a program that is looking for someone that is not you. It will take at least 6 years of time, and six years is a long time to be stuck in a group dynamic that isn't conducive to your personality.

Keep in mind too that they probably read your SOP, which talks about your research interests. In addition to having research ideas, I would try to be able to explain how your research fits with theirs and how you could contribute to their research.

When an interviewer asks about your research interests, you may be assessed for several things simultaneously. At the most basic level, it is getting to know you. What are you interested in? What do you want to research? At another level, you are being assessed for fit. Does the program have the potential to conduct the research you desire? Do your research overlap with existing lab or PI activity? If you are to fit into this lab and work with this PI 5 months from now, your interests should be feasible and at least loosely related to the focus of the lab or PI. Otherwise, why are applying to work with this individual or lab? Finally, this question can also be used to assess your scientific thinking. I have heard of some (rare) professors who prefer individuals to answer questions like "If you had to pick today, what would be the topic of your masters thesis?" or "If you had unlimited resources what research would you conduct?"

I hope that my response does not scare any potential applicants, but I do want to inform you. This question is not necessarily a free for all "tell me what interests you" question. It is a way to assess fit. If you want to research XYZ with expensive equipment and the program researches W with paper and pencils you may not come across as having a "fit" with that lab. These are all my own opinions and experiences, so take them for what they are worth (probably very little).