How to feel like you're doing enough as a premed(?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ABMK1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate that as a premed I constantly feel as though I am not doing enough to get into medical school. Needless to say, I'm turning into your typical neurotic premed student and it's killing me! All I can ever think about anymore is medical school and what I am doing to get in. I just finished my freshman year with a very good GPA, so I have that going for me (if I can continue to do well :nailbiting:), but I am seriously panicking that I am not going to have enough volunteer/clinical hours or research hours or uber fancy experiences that everyone on SDN seems to be obtaining. Also, my latest concern is that my undergrad is not prestigious enough (it is a well-respected school, for sure, but it is by no means HYPSM-esque).

I'm not really looking for anyone to reassure me that everything will be okay, because in the back of my mind I'm relatively confident my grades, MCAT, and ECs will be good enough to at least get me into some medical school. I guess what I'm really asking is how do you deal with being neurotic and feeling like you're not doing enough? I know this is an issue many premeds face, so I'm hoping you guys have some sound advice :) Thanks a ton!

Members don't see this ad.

everything will be okay

Hah. You're not doing it right if you actually feel like you're doing enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On the real, though, you've just got to remind yourself that you can't be perfect. I often feel as if I haven't done enough, but then I look back on the last three years and tend to amaze myself. Sure, getting that acceptance will ultimately determine how well I did, but I still think what I (and thousands of others) have sacrificed to get where I am today took some guts. No regrets from me on my decisions. For me, that's all that matters.

Reactions: 1 user
Grow some balls and confidence. It will do wonders for your self-esteem. Usually, this means getting off of SDN because you sound like you're the kind to freak out based on some of the weird stuff that gets written here.

I don't see how the above post is productive or useful, and its sexist, why do you have to have balls to be confident? I agree staying away from SDN to an extent is helpful, as it can add to the neuroticism. But we all have the same goal, no need to attack someone.

But we all have the same goal, no need to attack someone.
I wasn't. I pointed out that the problem likely lies with confidence and self-esteem. If I had ideas on how to improve that, I would give, but I don't.

Lighten up. The balls part was meant for humor, but maybe to a midwesterner that is like dropping the F-bomb. Sorry.

Am I good enough to get into the programs that I want to get into? I don't know; but if I don't try, I'll never know. I often feel inadequate, but I know that I owe it to myself to give this application cycle everything I've got. It helps to remind yourself of what you have accomplished so far. Be proud of that good freshman GPA! It's important to celebrate small victories.

Also, if you find yourself so stressed about this that it's affecting your life, check out your school's counseling center. They know how to help neurotic college students calm down. :)