How to find the motivation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KT1440

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a little back story on myself..

Indecision left me not sure of where I wanted my life to go. During my undergrad, I was flip flopping back and fourth between going into research or going into medicine. I too a 75hr medical practicum at my school and knew that I want truly wanted to go into medicine. So I graduated this past May without ever taking the MCAT. I spend sometime abroad in China after my graduation. When I returned, I signed up for an MCAT date in January and I have all the materials I need to study.

I started the 3 month study schedule that I found here on SDN. I am also starting a medical scribe job soon, but only part time @ 20hrs/week (I need to eat) If money wasn't a concern, I would not work until after Janurary. I feel like I have a alright application, but the only thing I am lacking is an MCAT score. Ill only have one shot at it before the new MCAT 2015.

I know what I need to do, but I am having a hard time finding that motivation. Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to not get burnt out or discouraged? I just keep telling myself "above a 30, above a 30" because if I do poorly, I'll be 2-3 years out of college with nowhere to go. This anxiety is just getting in the way of my focus. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA in Biology with research experience. Ive done research for 2.5 years and came out with 2 publications, one of which I am first author on. I was the President of our Biology club and a campus leader. I need to beef up my volunteer experience and clinical exposure (thats why I applied to be a scribe) but I still think I have a relatively competitive application.

Any advice on how to get the mindset I need in order to succeed?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Sit down and map out a manageable study plan on a calendar of the days remaining until your test date...then stick to it. If you don't have the discipline or motivation, then maybe rethink if this is truely what you want to do. Also, be careful not to get overwhelmed by someone else's study plan...you know yourself best so make a study plan that you know you won't mind doing...otherwise burnout may occur.

Reactions: 1 users
So a little back story on myself..

Indecision left me not sure of where I wanted my life to go. During my undergrad, I was flip flopping back and fourth between going into research or going into medicine. I too a 75hr medical practicum at my school and knew that I want truly wanted to go into medicine. So I graduated this past May without ever taking the MCAT. I spend sometime abroad in China after my graduation. When I returned, I signed up for an MCAT date in January and I have all the materials I need to study.

I started the 3 month study schedule that I found here on SDN. I am also starting a medical scribe job soon, but only part time @ 20hrs/week (I need to eat) If money wasn't a concern, I would not work until after Janurary. I feel like I have a alright application, but the only thing I am lacking is an MCAT score. Ill only have one shot at it before the new MCAT 2015.

I know what I need to do, but I am having a hard time finding that motivation. Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to not get burnt out or discouraged? I just keep telling myself "above a 30, above a 30" because if I do poorly, I'll be 2-3 years out of college with nowhere to go. This anxiety is just getting in the way of my focus. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA in Biology with research experience. Ive done research for 2.5 years and came out with 2 publications, one of which I am first author on. I was the President of our Biology club and a campus leader. I need to beef up my volunteer experience and clinical exposure (thats why I applied to be a scribe) but I still think I have a relatively competitive application.

Any advice on how to get the mindset I need in order to succeed?

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe it's not a matter of motivation that's holding you back, maybe it's not having the right goal or the specific steps towards attaining that goal. At least for me, setting a goal of "above 30" is not enough, I need to craft clear and specific ways of how I can make that goal achievable.

Maybe this article can help:

http://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2013/05/10/learn-anything-in-less-time/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not going to lie. Getting motivation to study can be one of the hardest parts about studying. I also had trouble motivating myself to study and I started off doing a little at a time. I told myself, okay let's do 1 chapter and see how I feel after that. Sometimes, just sitting down and knowing I just had a little to do got me motivated to study and then I kept going.

If medicine is what you really want to do, always remember that this mcat should not be something holding you back! You can do it!

AND watch those motivational videos. Nothing like those videos that makes me want to study hard and get that 30+!

Reactions: 1 users