How to fix this problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.E

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a GPA of 3.7 philosophy undergrad. I am in my fifth year and just started taking some sciences. So far, it looks like my biology course will give me a C+ :thumbdown: possibly even a lower grade depending on the curve, which in my opinion sucks, 17% As, 30% Bs and so on. How will it look during the application period if one gets a lower grade(s) during their senior year as opposed to getting one earlier in one's academic life even if the lower grades are not in one's own major? I appreciate everyones' answers. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Mr.E said:
I have a GPA of 3.7 philosophy undergrad. I am in my fifth year and just started taking some sciences. So far, it looks like my biology course will give me a C+ :thumbdown: possibly even a lower grade depending on the curve, which in my opinion sucks, 17% As, 30% Bs and so on. How will it look during the application period if one gets a lower grade(s) during their senior year as opposed to getting one earlier in one's academic life even if the lower grades are not in one's own major? I appreciate everyones' answers. Thanks!

Personally, if I was an adcom and I saw a non-science major with a high GPA in a field that is generally not difficult (sorry to be blunt here), then I would look at how well you did in your science courses, and your science DAT scores.....Im sure you could write an incredible essay on neo-Kantianism, but thats gonna do squat for you in dental school....how were your grades in your other science classes?

One C+ won't kill you but make sure to do better in your future science classes. A 3.7 overall gpa is very impressive but don't let it slide down with these science classes. I think we were all a bit overwhelmed in college when we first started taking the hard science classes. But you get used to it and each semester is a bit easier because you know what's coming and some of the material gets repeated a lot. So just keep working at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
While one C+ certainly isn't going to shut you out of dental school, you'll need to improve your future grades. Do that I don't see much a problem at all.

I appreciate everyones' advice. I am most of all encouraged that others were overwhelmed by the sciences at first and overcame it. I now realize that the sciences are something one has to become acustomed too. I am a bit worried about lowering my GPA my last year in udergraduate studies as a result of the sciences, but I think as I get the hang of things I will improve. Again, thanks for the encouragement.

I completely agree that science courses get easier as you get used to it, but just remember, although you have a great GPA, you achieved it through non-science courses....you gotta show the adcoms that you could tough out the heavily science curriculm of dental school with no problems....from now on in, concentrate on doing well in only science courses....

Dr.BadVibes said:
... you achieved it through non-science courses....

To the OP: I agree to this in part. You earned your gpa through hard work and study habits which you developed to handle your major. Getting through the hardsciences is just a matter of applying that same work ethic and modifying those habits to earn top grades. As a non-science major who maintained a 4.0 for the last five years, including the two I spent doing nothing but pre-reqs and science electives, I know it is very possible.

Sprgrover said:
As a non-science major who maintained a 4.0 for the last five years, including the two I spent doing nothing but pre-reqs and science electives, I know it is very possible.

impressive...

I have had a similiar experience. I ran out of Gen-ed two quarters ago and I took 17 quarter units of pure science. Calculus, Genetics, Invert Zoo plus lab and O-Chem plus lab all in the same quarter. My grades did suffer and I got a little discouraged. The first time taking a lab practical can be a bit overwhelming. What I am finding is that you can get away with cramming for non-science classes and still pull A's but this will not do with the heavy science courses. There are those few that can do it but for the rest of us I think procrastination in these courses can be the kiss of death. Live and learn and do the best you can. You can not change grades that you have already received and lamenting over them will do nothing but hurt you.