How to Focus..on Focusing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caffein3

Projection Room above the Auditorium
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I just finished my first FL 2015 MCAT practice test and holy hell that thing is long. It is extremely mentally draining, and I find my mind wandering when I'm reading passages (particularly during dry CARS sections) or even during any of the science sections. The entire time I was taking it I never really felt focused or "in the zone"...I felt as though it was so long I just wanted it to be over, and that was taking me away from the moment.

Anyone have tips on staying alert, focusing, staying awake, etc? I ended up with a 500..so not terrible, just average. Using TPR btw.

Members don't see this ad.

Yikes, I did not even think about the length of the test. Good gracious. Anyways, have you tried taking it in a setting that mimics prometric testing center (i.e. at a quiet computer lab, NOT at places like starbucks)? What's the subject order of the test? now I'm scared because I also have this problem..

I took the old MCAT but I did sit-ups/push-ups/jumping jacks before every section to get my blood flowing. I also did a lot of B-vitamin chews the day of the test.

I got a lot of weird looks by doing the exercises, but who cares, I did well and Ive never seen those people I tested with again.

Haha thats actually a creative idea to get the blood flowing. And I've been taking them in a computer lab, trying to use a different comp every time, at 8 am, using headphones. Trying to simulate testing conditions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found it helpful in boring passages to highlight as I read to force my eye along.

If really screwed, I'd use body language: nodding if I understood, shaking my head if I didn't or disagreed, making antisocial gestures if I thought the passage was rambling, etc...

It sounds goofy but it's silent and it gets your body engaged which keeps your mind engaged.

Slamming a Red Bull between sections seemed helpful for some of us. :)

I'm pretty much not affected by caffeine, but slamming a red bull between each section would probably make me have to urinate like a race horse during the next section. :p

I'm pretty much not affected by caffeine, but slamming a red bull between each section would probably make me have to urinate like a race horse during the next section. :p
There's always angel dust? I kid! I kid!

Yoga?

Last edited:
I know this thread is about focusing, but I'm eager to know some comparisons with the old exam and the new one. Did you ever take the older version? If so, better or worse, thoughts on it?

I took the January 10 exam and as far as focusing, I do know that I will NOT be trying to study or take practice exams at home. Too much distraction, taking breaks, cat meowing, etc. I need to work on this whole 6 hour endurance thing we're getting into.

Between sections, I would go to the bathroom and splash a bunch of cold water on my face (wakes you up big time). Also, I take a lot of deep heavy breaths and rub my pressure points frequently so I don't feel stressed. Focus went up big time

I'm definitely going to have to try all these! Taking another FL this weekend, I'll see how it goes.