how to gauge gpa between undergrad and grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sobadsogood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically I want to know where I stand, how competitive I am, where I should apply to. The main thing is I have a low undergrad gpa and a high grad gpa, so I would really appreciate if someone could provide some advice on how I should view my composite gpa when picking which school I should apply to. Should I consider DO?

About me:
undergrad gpa: 3.3
grad gpa: 3.9
This is a special master program that takes courses of first year medical curriculum.
mcat: 509 (took old mcat years ago got 28, 29)
CA resident
Physics major in college
Worked 2 years in research lab
Volunteered in hospital for a year

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

This is my preliminary list of schools:

Tufts
BU
Georgetown
Brown
Tulane
Dartmouth
Creighton
Drexel
NY Medical college
Temple
Medical college of Wisconsin
UC davis
UC riverside
UC irvine
USC
wake forest
franklin

MD schools that look for reinvention want you to ace the MCAT. being a 3x taker, I can't recommend any MD schools except UCD and UCI (UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire).

Otherwise, you should be fine with DO schools. Start list with both Westerns, Touro-CA, TUNCOM and PacNW.

This is my preliminary list of schools:

Tufts
BU
Georgetown
Brown
Tulane
Dartmouth
Creighton
Drexel
NY Medical college
Temple
Medical college of Wisconsin
UC davis
UC riverside
UC irvine
USC
wake forest
franklin

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT is weak for MD but great w/gpa for DO. Good job in the SMP, but some MD schools may auto eliminate you based on your ugpa. How long ago did you take the mcat?

If you have money to burn then apply to some MD schools and see how it goes, but it's a long shot.

Good Luck