How to get an pharmacy internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abeautifulday

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just got accepted to a pharmacy school. I wonder how you guys found an internship position? Did you just simply call the pharmacy store to see if they are looking for an internship? Any tips and any website that can me help one? I checked out Walgreen and Safeway and they both have the internship program. Do they always hire?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys,

I just got accepted to a pharmacy school. I wonder how you guys found an internship position? Did you just simply call the pharmacy store to see if they are looking for an internship? Any tips and any website that can me help one? I checked out Walgreen and Safeway and they both have the internship program. Do they always hire?

"Do they always hire?" Is a really weird question to ask. Nobody has to do anything.

Call the pharmacy, ask to speak to the pharmacy manager, politely and nicely ask what you should do. They'll point you to the right direction. Every chain has a different process.

Reactions: 1 user
For most pharmacy chains, the district manager handles intern hiring. You can call or walk into stores but chances are they will just give the the DM's email. However, talking to pharmacy managers does help you leave a good impression and they might be able to put in good words for you.

The only chain that I know of hiring interns at a store level is Target.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of chains will want to wait until you actually start pharmacy school to hire you on as an intern. It doesn't hurt to call and ask, though! You could also try independent pharmacies such as small compounding pharmacies. They might be more inclined to hire someone as an intern right away since they don't have a lot of red tape and such to go through like a major retail chain would.

What if I want to work at Walgreen. How can I see the DM? I just find out that Washington state doesn't provide the pharmacy intern license until I enroll in a pharmacy school. I am actually working for an independent pharmacy now and waiting for my manager's decision. I just want to make some money for pharmacy school.
For most pharmacy chains, the district manager handles intern hiring. You can call or walk into stores but chances are they will just give the the DM's email. However, talking to pharmacy managers does help you leave a good impression and they might be able to put in good words for you.

The only chain that I know of hiring interns at a store level is Target.

Good luck!
Do you know if any independent pharmacy would hire a pharmacy students without a intern license.

I'm not sure how it works in Washington, but I can tell you a little about Walgreens here in Texas. We don't get our intern license until after the first year of pharmacy school. Right now I work as a tech for walgreens and my manager told me that once I start pharmacy school (as in august) she will contact the pharmacy supervisor for our district to put me in as a P1 intern. For students who don't work as techs, we have hiring fairs at our college of pharmacy where the pharm supervisors from various retail chains come and set up interviews for their intern positions. You could always go to your local walgreens, ask for the pharmacy manager, and explain your situation. They will either give you contact information for the DM or pharmacy supervisor or they might suggest you start as a technician for a couple of months, then when you have your intern license, they can just automatically bump you up.

As far as independent pharmacies go, I feel like you would have a good chance at getting a position (if they are looking for an intern) without a license. Most of them will require that you have at least a technician license though.

In Texas, I think you need to complete at least 30 credits in pharmacy school before you are eligible to apply for an intern licence. U of H won't even sign the internship application papers for you before P1 ends. You may start with a Tech licence first though.

In Texas, I think you need to complete at least 30 credits in pharmacy school before you are eligible to apply for an intern licence. U of H won't even sign the internship application papers for you before P1 ends. You may start with a Tech licence first though.

Yep that's correct. Though, from what I've heard from others, a lot of stores will put you on as an intern even if you just have your technician license. I knew some P1s at UH who became interns shortly after they started pharmacy school and then got their intern licenses in May after they finished their first year.

Thanks all for helping me. I just find out that I will not granted the pharmacy intern license until I enroll in a pharmacy school.

I am waiting for my manager to answer me if she is looking for an intern position and really help it will work out to save some money for pharmacy school.

I wonder how you guys found an internship position?

BRIBE.gif