How to get job experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted390966

It's almost ironic to me when employers are looking for people "with experience." If people can't get the first job, how can they get experience?

Let's say I want a specific hospital job and all openings require previous experience, what can I do to get the "experience" they want???

Members don't see this ad.

When I wrote my first resume, I used volunteer experiences that had similar responsibilities/settings, and that worked out pretty well. If you're in school, you can look around for student jobs on campus since they usually don't require any experience (except maybe specific classes) and go from there.

You either have to shoot lower on the totem pole or have a connection. In today's job market especially, networking goes a long way. It's how I landed my current (first) job without any experience outside of class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes low-level jobs that ask for experience aren't necessarily looking for previous work history in that exact position. Occasionally, what they really want to know if you are capable of being a responsible worker, showing up on time, behaving professionally, etc. In this case, any job experience will go a long way towards getting you a position, as long as your previous employer will say good things about you.

You can't know which is the case until you apply, but it can't hurt you to try. Try to play up the general skills you have gained through student organizations or research, which have taught you a lot about the professional world, etc.

To get the job I have right now, I had to apply to about 200 jobs, got 3 interviews and 1 acceptance. And this is for menial work that any kid can do.

Getting a job is probably harder than going into medical college right now lol.

Volunteer or internship (aka work for free)

To get the job I have right now, I had to apply to about 200 jobs, got 3 interviews and 1 acceptance. And this is for menial work that any kid can do.

Getting a job is probably harder than going into medical college right now lol.

Had a similar experience, unfortunately.