how to get motivated again to take the new MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkrules2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got my MCAT score back... I have to retake. The problem is that I'm taking 15 credits this semester and am working as a scribe. I don't know how I'll be able to study for the new MCAT with my workload this semester. I know MD is a long shot for me and will be aiming for DO schools. When is too late to take the MCAT for the 2015-2016 cycle? I'm trying for the June 20 test date.

Members don't see this ad.

What's your GPA? MD might not be a long shot as a lot of Med Schools look at most recent/highest MCAT score. If you kill this one, you're good!

Members don't see this ad :)
For DO it will be ~3.3 with my retakes

I hope you don't think I'm creepy but I looked at your old posts. With URM status like yours, if you take a year to rock an SMP, get a good-ish MCAT score, I think MD still might be an option for you. But DO, definitely. What was your old MCAT score? Might be doable

I got 23 . I had been averaging a 28. My main problem is that im working as a scribe because I need clinical patient hours.

I got 23 . I had been averaging a 28. My main problem is that im working as a scribe because I need clinical patient hours.
Call me crazy....but a 23 MCAT with a 3.0 GPA might be good enough to get into low tier DO Schools given your URM status.

If I were you & I was SET on DO, I'd retake the MCAT, but go ahead and submit to a 3 or 4 DO schools this upcoming cycle. You might see success.

i know Ill have to retake. I want to increase my chances of getting accepted. I know I can do better. Thanks for the advice though

i know Ill have to retake. I want to increase my chances of getting accepted. I know I can do better. Thanks for the advice though
Yeah best of luck! If you are taking the new MCAT, there is a good 100-day Next Step Schedule on SDN. I am going with the traditional SN2ED, but NS looks really good as well. I've got some of their books :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: